How long until people noticed your weight loss?

Options
In total I had about 50 lbs to lose, of which I've lost 17 (so 33 to go) and if I tell people this they respond with "Really? You can't even tell." It's driving me crazy!!
It's not at all deterring me from my goal but it sure would be nice if people noticed the changes. :/

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    It never matters what others think. Never, ever, ever.
  • Danimri84
    Danimri84 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    My mom notices when I lose 5-10 lbs, but that is because my face slims very quickly. I find others notice around 25-30 lbs.
  • DonaldBlinks
    DonaldBlinks Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was really quiet about my weight loss for the first few months. No one knew outside of close family members. When I lost 40 (my first mini-goal), I made a Facebook post and started talking about it openly. At that point, several people had said that they had noticed within the past month or so (so probably when I had lost about 35 pounds).

I've lost 50 now and more and more people are feeling comfortable mentioning it to me. I can tell that some people feel uncomfortable brining it up. And sometimes people will feel it out by mentioning it to my wife instead.
  • smiles4jo
    smiles4jo Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I've lost 27 of the 75 I have to lose and no one has said a thing!

I realize it's not about what people think/say, but it would be nice to get feedback!
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I've lost 39lbs and no one has said anything other than my mom. I think she only said something to keep me motivated. I can't even really tell myself.
  • smiles4jo
    smiles4jo Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Cynsonya wrote: »
    I've lost 39lbs and no one has said anything other than my mom. I think she only said something to keep me motivated. I can't even really tell myself.

Lol You're right - My mother has said something too, but like the previous poster, I'm fairly certain it was only to keep me motivated.
  • lucylocketlostherpocket32
    Options
    I'm having the opposite! People telling me I look like I've lost a lot of weight and I haven't I've lost 3lbs LOL when I say no I haven't lost much they say well you have.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Strangers (ie: people working at stores I shopped at) noticed my loss at around 50#.
  • mckat08
    mckat08 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    “IT TAKES 4 WEEKS FOR YOU TO NOTICE YOUR BODY CHANGING, 8 WEEKS FOR YOUR FRIENDS TO NOTICE, AND 12 WEEKS FOR THE REST OF THE WORLD TO NOTICE. GIVE IT 12 WEEKS. DON’T QUIT!”
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I actually see that others notice my weight loss before I do. I'm the one thinking, "really? I haven't seen much of a difference."
    I also never initiate conversation about my weight loss as I don't like the attention on me, so I don't have those issues. It really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.
  • mom2wessarah
    mom2wessarah Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Well, you shouldn't worry about it. If you feel good, great! But to answer your question, I think it depends on how much you have to lose. When I had about 80 to lose, people started noticing/saying something after about 40lbs down.
  • jmpaterno
    jmpaterno Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong, but I think this really depends on height. I'm 5'3" and have lost 23 pounds, and my fiance is 6'2" and has lost 19. People have really noticed my loss (even I can see it now), but his is less obvious. I feel like my weight has fewer places to go, and it's really obvious when I gain even 5 or 10 pounds. Does any of this make sense? Admittedly it's totally anecdotal.
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    My parents noticed when I was around 15 pounds down. But that's because I'm away at uni and they came to visit, so they hadn't seen me in a while and the change was very obvious to them. My roommates still haven't noticed (or they haven't said anything), and I myself wouldn't have noticed except that my clothes fit looser. You and others around you that see you every day watch you change gradually, so the difference doesn't register as much. Don't worry about it, you're doing great. You just have to know that for yourself :)
  • ShanRod81
    ShanRod81 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Me personally, people notice on my frame when I hit 20lbs lost. I'm tall, 5'9.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    yeah, when i first started on the weight loss wagon back in 2010 i needed to lose about 25 pounds total. I am an average height woman(5'3) with a petite body shape (and small boobs) and so even though i wasn't morbidly obese or anything... you could DEFINITELY tell i was overweight.

No one noticed or said anything until i was within 5 pounds of my goal weight. Keep in mind that this means i lost 20%~ of my total body weight before people even noticed. I think once you start losing in your face is when people normally say "aha! i can really tell!"

But, meh. I don't really care. It's hard to tell sometimes depending on your body shape, clothing, where you lose first, etc. And really, what's it matter? I workout for ME, not them. :)
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Maybe because anything under extreme weight loss can be taboo to mention with some people, and most don't want to find out the hard way.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    It depends on height- For me, at 5'2", a 5-10lb loss is VERY noticeable, but probably wouldn't be for someone taller.
  • heavy_heavy_lowlow
    heavy_heavy_lowlow Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i was going to church Wednesday and sundays so when those giant 4xl shirts looked like dresses they all noticed. i still wear big clothes because i want ppl to think im still big until i get toned up then really shock them
  • HeathermRVT
    HeathermRVT Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm only 5'2" so I actually figured it would be noticeable sooner but apparently not. Lol
    Of course it doesn't matter what other people think but it's nice to hear, nonetheless. :)
  • rayodani
    rayodani Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Cynsonya wrote: »

Congrats. Can I ask what did you workout start with in the beginning of this journey?