Please help me understand BMR?

Options
Okay, so I used a BMR calculator and my BMR is 1128 calories.

Does this mean that that's what I would need to eat to maintain my weight? And thus if I wanted to lose weight I would need to eat at a deficit of that number? So for example, one pound a week would be 628 calories a day? I've been eating around 900-1000 calories a day and my weight loss has plateaued in the last couple of months. Do I need to drop down to 628 calories to see actual changes?

That seems like a really small number to me, so I'm not sure I'm understanding properly.

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps!

Replies

• MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    BMR is what your body burns by being alive
    TDEE is your BMR PLUS any day - to day movement AND exercise.
    You eat a deficit of TDEE not BMR. Find a TDEE Calculator
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    No - BMR is what your body uses if you never got out of bed.

But even sedentary people move during the day, so you are burning more than BMR.

Maintenance = TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). Include exercise & take 500 calories away from that. Take 250 away if you are close to goal. Not everyone can lose 1 pound a week.

900 - 1000 is dangerously low. It's very hard to get adequate nutrition with those numbers. Be careful or your hair will start to fall out. As it is, you are likely burning thru lean muscle mass. That's not a good look.
  • Chaidell
    Chaidell Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »

That makes a bit more sense, thank you! My numbers are still really low though. For example, to lose one pound a week, I would need to be eating 855 calories a day, which is below mfp's recommended daily value. Can my caloric intake really be that low and I'd still be healthy?
  • Chaidell
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    No - BMR is what your body uses if you never got out of bed.

But even sedentary people move during the day, so you are burning more than BMR.

Maintenance = TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). Include exercise & take 500 calories away from that. Take 250 away if you are close to goal. Not everyone can lose 1 pound a week.

900 - 1000 is dangerously low. It's very hard to get adequate nutrition with those numbers. Be careful or your hair will start to fall out. As it is, you are likely burning thru lean muscle mass. That's not a good look.

Thank you! That's what I'm concerned about as well. I already seem to be eating very small amounts and I'm worried about eating even less, even though that is what my TDEE says to do to lose weight
  • Chaidell
    Options
    Your BMR is your Basal Metabolic Rate. It's roughly the number of calories your body needs just keeping all of your organs and things running all day. It's about what you'd burn in a coma. It is not what you'd eat to maintain your current weight.

What you want for your maintenance number is your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). This number includes your BMR but it also takes into all of the movement you do during the day (going to work, brushing your teeth, cooking, finding the remote, etc). There are a ton of different online calculators for this number, but keep in mind that these numbers are all just estimates. No one fits into the formulae 100% as expected. You may need to play around a bit to see what works best for you.

If you've plateaued (by which I assume you mean no loss and no significant changes to your routine) for more than a few weeks at 1000 calories a day, then something else is likely going on. These are my really general tips for a plateau, so maybe something here will stand out for you:

1. If it's been less than 3 weeks or so since you last saw a drop on the scale, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.

Whatever you do, do not drop down to 600 calories a day without being medically supervised. That's a very dangerous calorie level.
    Thanks! Some of these apply to me, so I'll definitely start doing them!
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    No, your still missing it. you need a TDEE calculator. you can't eat below your BMR..well you can but you shouldn't. What is your TDEE? TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure. that is your BMR PLUS what you burn based upon the fact you are NOT in a coma! you subtract your desired deficit from TDEE.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,163 Member
    Options
    nocull wrote: »

Does this mean that that's what I would need to eat to maintain my weight? And thus if I wanted to lose weight I would need to eat at a deficit of that number? So for example, one pound a week would be 628 calories a day? I've been eating around 900-1000 calories a day and my weight loss has plateaued in the last couple of months. Do I need to drop down to 628 calories to see actual changes?

That seems like a really small number to me, so I'm not sure I'm understanding properly.

No to the bolded part. First look at how accurately you are logging, and how realistic your goals are?

What are your stats, age, height, weight; and what is your goal?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

That makes a bit more sense, thank you! My numbers are still really low though. For example, to lose one pound a week, I would need to be eating 855 calories a day, which is below mfp's recommended daily value. Can my caloric intake really be that low and I'd still be healthy?

Okay - 1 of 3 things are happening here

1. You are very petite (because if your avatar picture is you, you're not a senior) - AND you are sedentary (and never exercise) so your TDEE is only 1,355 calories.

OR

2. You are very close to goal (very petite) and 1 pound a week is inappropriate. In which case you take away 250 calories. You still only get 1,105 calories.

OR

3. You have something plugged in wrong (maybe you do exercise).

And no.......855 is NOT healthy. Not for an adult anyway.

I made up some numbers......5' tall, 20 years old, 120 pounds, sedentary.......TDEE = 1630. Subtract 250 and you eat 1,380 without any exercise.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • Chaidell
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    No, your still missing it. you need a TDEE calculator. you can't eat below your BMR..well you can but you shouldn't. What is your TDEE? TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure. that is your BMR PLUS what you burn based upon the fact you are NOT in a coma! you subtract your desired deficit from TDEE.
    My TDEE is 1355. That's maintenance then, right? So how much would I need to eat to lose weight?

No to the bolded part. First look at how accurately you are logging, and how realistic your goals are?

I admit that I'm maybe not logging 100% accurately, but I'm within 100 calories of what I estimate per day because I eat the same foods everyday that are prepackaged by my university cafeteria. The only differences there would be would come from slight variations in the amounts put in the packages per day.

I'm 21, 4'9", I weigh 108 lbs and my goal is 90 lbs, which isn't unrealistic considering my height.
  • Chaidell
    edited April 2016
    Options

1. You are very petite (because if your avatar picture is you, you're not a senior) - AND you are sedentary (and never exercise) so your TDEE is only 1,355 calories.

OR

2. You are very close to goal (very petite) and 1 pound a week is inappropriate. In which case you take away 250 calories. You still only get 1,105 calories.

OR

I made up some numbers......5' tall, 20 years old, 120 pounds, sedentary.......TDEE = 1630. Subtract 250 and you eat 1,380 without any exercise.

It's pretty much #1, I'm small already but still have a stocky build I want to slim down and I'm sedentary while at school.. I imagine I'll have to recalculate my TDEE once I'm finished for the year because I'm much more active during holidays. So I should only be subtracting 250 from my TDEE? I still have pretty far left to go on my goal though, I didn't think I'd be close enough yet. Plus subtracting 250 calories is really close to what I'm eating right now and my weight loss has stalled.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

OR

OR

It's pretty much #1, I'm small already but still have a stocky build I want to slim down and I'm sedentary while at school.. I imagine I'll have to recalculate my TDEE once I'm finished for the year because I'm much more active during holidays. So I should only be subtracting 250 from my TDEE? I still have pretty far left to go on my goal though, I didn't think I'd be close enough yet. Plus subtracting 250 calories is really close to what I'm eating right now and my weight loss has stalled.

Try moving a bit more see if that helps. And log as tightly as possible so you know where your errors are. Get a digital food scale. :)
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    With only 18lbs to go you should definitely only be shooting for .5ppw. So a 250 calorie a day deficit. If you want to eat more then get more exercise and eat back 50% of those calories.
  • Chaidell
    Options

OR

OR

Try moving a bit more see if that helps. And log as tightly as possible so you know where your errors are. Get a digital food scale. :)
    I'll definitely get a food scale and try working out some more! thanks!

Cynsonya wrote: »
    With only 18lbs to go you should definitely only be shooting for .5ppw. So a 250 calorie a day deficit. If you want to eat more then get more exercise and eat back 50% of those calories.
    18 pounds just seems like a lot to me because it's my exact half way point lol. I'll try working out more, thank you!
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Due to your height, BMI is not going to be much help, for that matter, I am guessing that the calorie calculators will have issues as well simply because you are further from the average area of height thus limiting the data they would have available. Having said that your current BMI is just into the healthy weight area and your goal is near the bottom of it. In light of that, I would suggest that maybe you would be well served by eating at a small deficit with a goal of half a pound a week, one pound a week is too aggressive for you. Second, I would suggest starting a weight training program, and no, it will not make you bulky http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky
    It will, however, help change the look of your body taking off fat and putting on a little muscle. In other words, your weight may not change much at all, but your measurements and look will.
  • kansascutie81
    kansascutie81 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    So I downloaded a TDEE calculator and a BMR calculator. My TDEE says 3,392 so I need to subtract 500 from that in order to lose weight. Which means I would need to eat roughly 2,883 calories a day? Cause I exercise 3 times a day 30 minutes each time for 6 days a week
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is 1355. That's maintenance then, right? So how much would I need to eat to lose weight?

I admit that I'm maybe not logging 100% accurately, but I'm within 100 calories of what I estimate per day because I eat the same foods everyday that are prepackaged by my university cafeteria. The only differences there would be would come from slight variations in the amounts put in the packages per day.

I'm 21, 4'9", I weigh 108 lbs and my goal is 90 lbs, which isn't unrealistic considering my height.

I wouldn't take the 1,200 calorie minimum seriously considering your size.
  • Chaidell
    Options
    Due to your height, BMI is not going to be much help, for that matter, I am guessing that the calorie calculators will have issues as well simply because you are further from the average area of height thus limiting the data they would have available. Having said that your current BMI is just into the healthy weight area and your goal is near the bottom of it. In light of that, I would suggest that maybe you would be well served by eating at a small deficit with a goal of half a pound a week, one pound a week is too aggressive for you. Second, I would suggest starting a weight training program, and no, it will not make you bulky http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky
    It will, however, help change the look of your body taking off fat and putting on a little muscle. In other words, your weight may not change much at all, but your measurements and look will.
    Short problems hahaha. I've just always been so scared to try weight lifting, even though I KNOW it won't make me bulky, there's a little voice in my head that tries to convince me otherwise lol. I'll have to give it a shot though. I'll do anything to get out of this plateau!
  • rileysowner
    Options
    kuftae wrote: »

I wouldn't take the 1,200 calorie minimum seriously considering your size.

Be that as it may, eating 628 calories would be far too little. Basically looking for a 1 pound per week loss at her current stats it looking to lose a lot of lean mass.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    BMR - Basal Metabolic Rate...your basal rate of calories...the calorie you burn merely existing. I assume you aren't in a coma...so you burn way more every single day than your BMR.