Calories VS Macros

Options
Im at a lost...5'4 & 153 lbs. 23.9%bf
I don't understand how I weigh 153lbs but wear size small and 6/8. Last week I ate at a 1408 calories. This week 1301calories, I have been trying to count macros P-229g, C77-50g, F34-9g (I have high and low days for carbs and fats). What's more important, the number of calories consumed or the marcos? Nothing seems to be working. I'm trying to lose 8-15 lbs. I do a lot of weightlifting is that why I don't really see the scale going down? I eat healthy do tabata and 30 cardio 5 days a week.

Replies

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    Good lord that's a lot of protein for someone of your weight.

General recommendation is .8-1.0 grams per pound of lean mass.

I'd cut some protein and eat some other yummy foods... unless you just enjoy eating that way. It's most likely not doing you a benefit to eat so much protein (although not hurting anything other than it's the most expensive macro).
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,248 Member
    Options
    How long did you eat at 1408 or 1301 for that matter? You are at the point in weight loss where your goal should be about .5 pound a week. That means your logging needs to be a accurate as it can be. That means measuring your portions using a digital kitchen scale and making sure that what you log is what you actually eat.

As for Macros or Calories, realize calories are made up of Macros. Measuring Macros is something that is helpful for certain goals, but calories are king for weight loss. Since you are not lifting your Protein is too high and your fat and carbs are too low. Try switching to a more generic breakdown, say 40% Carbs, 30% Protein, 30% Fat. Realize also, it can take 3-4 weeks to see the scale change losing at a slow rate since water weight can easily mask it.
  • queenybsunshyne
    queenybsunshyne Posts: 5 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Thanks, I do a LOT of lifting. One week each at 1408 and this week is 1301. I have a scale that I use. Just thought the weight would come off a little faster. I do see more muscle than I did before. I change my lifting routine every 12 weeks.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Are those averages for the week? Bottom line, it's probably too soon to see any significant changes at your weight and body fat %.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Where are you getting that bodyfat percentage?
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Thanks, I do a LOT of lifting. One week each at 1408 and this week is 1301. I have a scale that I use. Just thought the weight would come off a little faster. I do see more muscle thank I did before. I change my lifting routine every 12 weeks.

If you are lifting heavy, ditch the scale. Go by body measurements, how clothing fits, and pictures over 3-4 week stretches. The scale may stay the same or go up while your body fat is going down. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky

I use https://www.amazon.ca/AccuFitness-MT05-MyoTape-Body-Measure/dp/B000G7YW7Y and it makes taking body measurements by yourself very easy.
  • sampayne1001
    sampayne1001 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree about that being a lot of protein, I am 5'7 130 pounds and eat between 50-70 grams of protein a day... I also do a lot of different sorts of exercise... I honestly thing your problem might be too much protein.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    A high protein recommendation is 1 gram per pound of body weight, a better one is 1 gram per pound of lean body weight, again both of these are at the high end, but at your weight the higher of the two would still only be 153 grams of protein.
  • queenybsunshyne
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    Where are you getting that bodyfat percentage?

My gym does have a composition scale. My BF use to be 30% a year ago.
  • bwu73
    bwu73 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What is your goal? I used to use weight as the only measure of success. Now, I use body fat composition primarily as well as muscle size and measurements. Most body composition scales use electrical impedance to calculate body fat. It is not very accurate. You could consider a Dexa or learn to use a caliper. I use a combination of Dexa and a device called Sculpt which is fairly accurate with its newest firmware revision.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,007 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how I weigh 153lbs but wear size small and 6/8. Last week I ate at a 1408 calories. This week 1301calories, I have been trying to count macros P-229g, C77-50g, F34-9g (I have high and low days for carbs and fats). What's more important, the number of calories consumed or the marcos? Nothing seems to be working. I'm trying to lose 8-15 lbs. I do a lot of weightlifting is that why I don't really see the scale going down? I eat healthy do tabata and 30 cardio 5 days a week.

Are you happy with your size but not your weight?

What's your frame size? http://www.myfooddiary.com/Resources/frame_size_calculator.asp
  • queenybsunshyne
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

What's your frame size? http://www.myfooddiary.com/Resources/frame_size_calculator.asp

I'm happy with my size but the weight seems too high for the amount of physical activity to do. I'm thin frame. Would like my body fat in the 18-20 range but it just won't go down.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I'm happy with my size but the weight seems too high for the amount of physical activity to do. I'm thin frame. Would like my body fat in the 18-20 range but it just won't go down.

First of all, ignore weight. The only one who knows what your weight is, is you, unless you decided to go around with a sign stating what you weight. In terms of bodyfat % unless it was measured with a DEXA scan or a Bodpod or perhaps underwater weighing (the actual name eludes me at the moment), the measurements are pretty useless. The scales or devices you hold are completely inaccurate having the number change simply based on hydration.

Rather than focusing on weight, go to maintenance and lift heavy, measure progress with a measuring tape, pictures and how clothing fits not the scale.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the posts about dropping protein considerably. While I do think your count is high I would do about 1.2 grams per pound while cutting and lifting. Your carbs do seem very low. To answer your specific question calories are what will drop fat from your body. If you are not losing over a several week period I'd cut back on the overall calories. I personally would keep my protein at 1.2 grams and cut from fat or carbs. I'd not cut my fat intake below about 20% of the overall calories.