Wanna make sure I'm doing this right

Options
Okay so I have started my weight loss journey a few weeks ago. I weighed 225 pounds at 5 feet 1 I started working out on a recumbent bike for cardio and since I'm so out of shape I started at 10 minutes 3x a day for 6 days now I'm up to 30 minutes 3x a day 6 days a week. I am suppose to eating around 2668 calories a day (which I am finding hard to do, most days I'm lucky to get 1000) and that's with me eating a good breakfast, moderate lunch and light dinner. I don't eat junk good or drink sodas and no white bread. I saw another post on here that talks about TDEE now for me to keep losing weight do I need to calculate my TDEE then subtract 500? And another thing when I made a account on here did it take into factor my TDEE or just my BMR cause I know your not suppose to eat less than your BMR and that's my trouble is trying not to eat less than the alloted calories

Replies

• koreangurl
    koreangurl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If you take your TDEE and subtract 500, you would lost one pound in a week. One pound is 3500 calories so 500 multiplied by 7 is 3500. Is 2658 your cutting calories? seems a bit high
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Are you trying to lose weight? I'm 5'8 and at 244 I'm only at 1330 to lose, so 2668 seems astounding to me.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, I would make sure your stats and goals are entered correctly. Also, is that 2668 including exercise you are logging? You might be logging calorie burns that are too high.

Having said that, if you aren't really hungry, you are eating more than 1,000 calories. Check that you are logging accurate portions (it's best to use a food scale for as much as you can) and choosing correct database entries - there are many entries in the database that were entered incorrectly by users.
  • Ohjeezitskim
    Ohjeezitskim Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    That does seem high. I'm obviously different at 5'3'' SW of 185 and I was set at 1400. Maybe go back in and see if everything is measured right? Weight/height/age/activity level ect.
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Did I read this right that you are on a bike for 90 minutes per day, 6 days a week, and you aren't eating more than 1000 calories per day?

I agree with others that 2600 seems a bit high, but surely you'd be able to eat to 1500 or so?
  • erinc5
    Options
    Also it says you started a few weeks ago. How much did you lose so far and how many weeks was that? Figuring that out will reveal your true deficit.
  • kansascutie81
    kansascutie81 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I downloaded a app on my phone aside from this app and when I put in my current height, weight, age and sex that 2668 is what it came up with now if I go by what this app says I have consumed 1000 calories today and still have 1309 remaining but I don't know if that is with my TDEE calculated into the daily alloted calories intake. And everything I log is to a T weight and portion.
  • erinc5
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I downloaded a app on my phone aside from this app and when I put in my current height, weight, age and sex that 2668 is what it came up with now if I go by what this app says I have consumed 1000 calories today and still have 1309 remaining but I don't know if that is with my TDEE calculated into the daily allotted calories intake. And everything I log is to a T weight and portion.

2668 seems too high. What app was it? Are they saying you should eat that much to lose, or to eat that much to maintain?

MFP recommendations seem way more accurate (1000+1309 remaining = 2309 total). What is your MFP goal set to? 1 lb per week? .5 lb per week?

Just based on your stats given, online calculators have you eating around 1700 to lose at a 20% deficit - does MFP have your baseline calories somewhere around that? MFP has the deficit built into that number if you set your goal to lose weight. Then, you'll need to log your cycling on top of that (MFP will add calories for this activity), but be careful not to overestimate calories burned.
  • kansascutie81
    Options
    When I started 2 1/2 weeks ago I weighed roughly 225 I now weigh 219 and yes I spend 90 minutes a day 6 days a week exercising. When I set this account up with my height my weight and activity level which is all correct because even though I exercise I put it at sedentary lifestyle, it says my goal is 1540-1110+879 remaining 1309
  • erinc5
    Options
    Again, though. You say you've been at this for a few weeks? Have you lost weight? How many calories have you been eating?

Basically, if you've been at this for a few weeks, what are you not happy with? What are you looking to change?
  • kansascutie81
    Options
    I've lost 6 pounds and I just want to make sure I'm not starving myself. Erin I am not sure what they have I know it says on my home screen for this app goal 1540 - 1,110 (food) + 879 (exercise)= remaining 1309
  • kansascutie81
    Options
    I'm not trying to maintain my weight or bulk up I am looking to lose weight and right now my realistic goal weight is 170 then when I reach 170 I will reset my goal to what I really want to weigh which is 130
  • erinc5
    edited April 2016
    Options
    When I started 2 1/2 weeks ago I weighed roughly 225 I now weigh 219 and yes I spend 90 minutes a day 6 days a week exercising. When I set this account up with my height my weight and activity level which is all correct because even though I exercise I put it at sedentary lifestyle, it says my goal is 1540-1110+879 remaining 1309

Okay. So that seems like good progress.

Here is an explanation of what I believe you are seeing for these numbers:

1540-1110+879 remaining 1309

1540 is your MFP baseline calorie goal based on the weight loss goal you picked (2/1/1.5 lb per month), your height, age and weight, and your chosen activity level. This is based on your NEAT (I believe) and has the deficit built in (1000 cal deficit for 2 lbs per week, 500 cal deficit for 1 lb per week, etc..)

1100 is the food you've input into your diary

879 is what you've manually input for exercise or gained from a tracker (like fitbit)

1309 is what you have left to eat.

It's really up to you to eat all the workout calories or not. Many people think they are overestimated and only eat about half.

You should really try to hit the 1540 goal, though. And since you work out so much, I think you should eat back SOME of your earned calories if you are hungry. Pull back on how many you eat if you stop seeing the weight drop
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I usually only eat back around 50% of my workout calories since I've been told before that they aren't always accurate and can sometimes be inflated.
  • erinc5
    Options
    If you aren't sure what "goal" you set for weight loss, you can go to the "Goal" section in the app. In the iphone one it is the 3rd choice in the "more" menu.
  • kansascutie81
    Options
    I have a app that is a TDEE calculator and it has estimated my TDEE to be 3,392 so going with the theory of what I read on here I should create a deficit from that of 500 calories leaving it at 2,892 and if that BMR calculator is right (and mine is 2827) I can still support my BMR of 2,827
  • erinc5
    Options
    I have a app that is a TDEE calculator and it has estimated my TDEE to be 3,392 so going with the theory of what I read on here I should create a deficit from that of 500 calories leaving it at 2,892 and if that BMR calculator is right (and mine is 2827) I can still support my BMR of 2,827

What calculator are you using? I've tried 3 and I get that your BMR is about 1700. 2900 is too high for sure.
  • erinc5
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I think you should continue eating around 1540 and adding back some workout calories.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options

When you started MFP and put in all your stats and goals, it figured out your NEAT number (daily calories) which is TDEE - deficit for goal (500 per day for 1lb per week). You don't really need to use another app to calculate your TDEE. I really can't see your BMR being so high unless you're very highly active. BMR is basically what you'd burn in a coma as I understand it.
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Okay, it looks like MFP has given you 1540 as your daily goal (that's before exercise). If you are truly burning something like the 879 calories with exercise, you are not eating nearly enough. You should be eating a minimum of 1200 net (food - exercise). You either need to increase your food intake or cut down the exercise. Be aware, however, that many exercise estimates are way high. Are you getting those estimates from the MFP database or your bike?