Running: Heart rate zones

Options
kimberleyford77
kimberleyford77 Posts: 14 Member
edited April 2016 in Fitness and Exercise

Is there an ideal heart rate for weight loss? Hitting the treadmill :)

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from your calorie balance not from the treadmill.

Ideal HR for maximum calorie burn would be the highest rate you can sustain for the time period available - but that would be an awful goal and probably do you more harm than good.

Don't get suckered into the "fat burn zone" myth by the way, the fuel you use during exercise has almost zero impact on your weight loss / fat loss over time.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    When running, the basic factors in calories burned will be your weight and the distance covered.
  • Renee7176
    Renee7176 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've run for a long time and the best way to lose weight if you're looking to do so is not to run necessarily a certain pace. It's good to fool your body. So run fast for a few mins, then bring it down real slow, then med pace, then fast. You could even just stop running put up incline and walk a very fast pace and then bring down incline and start to run again. You're metabolism will thank you for it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Renee7176 wrote: »
    You're metabolism will thank you for it.

What's the basis for that?

Calories expended in running are broadly a function of mass, distance and vertical elevation
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You cannot "fool" your body. You can vary your training stimulus, but the body will always respond the way it's designed to do and it will not independently affect calorie burn (outside of normal--I.e. Calorie burn is based on intensity).

It does not affect "metabolism" (a word that most people should forget they ever learned).

Now varying workload intensities can be an effective training tool--alternating endurance days with interval workouts or with sustained higher-intensity efforts, etc. Interval workouts are especially useful on a treadmill, as you can introduce a higher training challenge in smaller "chunks".

However, for fat loss, randomly changing workloads will have no real effect and the lack of focus can possibly have a negative effect on overall training.
  • kimberleyford77
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Weight loss comes from your calorie balance not from the treadmill.

Ideal HR for maximum calorie burn would be the highest rate you can sustain for the time period available - but that would be an awful goal and probably do you more harm than good.

Don't get suckered into the "fat burn zone" myth by the way, the fuel you use during exercise has almost zero impact on your weight loss / fat loss over time.
    Hi! Good advice! Think I was trying to find a "recipe " for successful weight loss while building up my running pace. And there's a lot of info about the myth "fat burn zone " online.

• kimberleyford77
    Options
    Renee7176 wrote: »
    I've run for a long time and the best way to lose weight if you're looking to do so is not to run necessarily a certain pace. It's good to fool your body. So run fast for a few mins, then bring it down real slow, then med pace, then fast. You could even just stop running put up incline and walk a very fast pace and then bring down incline and start to run again. You're metabolism will thank you for it.

Hi! Thanks! I.m kind of enjoying jogging at a certain pace. ..the interval training will be good to pick up my pace eventually do you think?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    They say "testing is training and training is testing" - doing an LTHR test requires you to run at race pace for a half hour, it's going to be a damn good workout.

I've never done the type of formal LTHR test described in that article, but recently I had mine tested with a fancy HRV computer system. Mine came out to 165 bpm, at a pretty slow pace. Last night I ran a 5K without stopping or walking, but I made sure to stay under 165 bpm as much as possible, basically only went over it on the hills. End result? After 31 minutes of running, I still felt pretty good. Your LT (lactate threshold) is the point where pain starts to accumulate really quickly, so I try to stay below that, and so far it's working.

That said, I read this article recently that says "don't take a test, just work it out by feel." I can't go by feel, for me part of exercising means tuning the pain out, so this doesn't apply at all to me. But maybe you'll get something out of this.

http://running.competitor.com/2013/11/training/go-by-feel-skip-the-lactate-threshold-test_53063

I'm not trying to confuse you, I'm trying to share info I find useful. So on that note I'll say if you aren't familiar with Training Peaks, they're extremely well respected among cyclists and triathletes and are a good source of info.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options

Heart rate is generally used as a training tool for running to increase endurance and speed. The fat zone HR thing is a myth as far as how it applies to weight loss.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I'd suggest going by perceived effort. Almost all of your running, at least initially, should be at a conversational pace. You're building your aerobic base.

The poster who mentioned interval training also prefaced her comments "I've run a long time" which changes everything.
  • kimberleyford77
    Options
    They say "testing is training and training is testing" - doing an LTHR test requires you to run at race pace for a half hour, it's going to be a damn good workout.

I've never done the type of formal LTHR test described in that article, but recently I had mine tested with a fancy HRV computer system. Mine came out to 165 bpm, at a pretty slow pace. Last night I ran a 5K without stopping or walking, but I made sure to stay under 165 bpm as much as possible, basically only went over it on the hills. End result? After 31 minutes of running, I still felt pretty good. Your LT (lactate threshold) is the point where pain starts to accumulate really quickly, so I try to stay below that, and so far it's working.

That said, I read this article recently that says "don't take a test, just work it out by feel." I can't go by feel, for me part of exercising means tuning the pain out, so this doesn't apply at all to me. But maybe you'll get something out of this.

http://running.competitor.com/2013/11/training/go-by-feel-skip-the-lactate-threshold-test_53063

I'm not trying to confuse you, I'm trying to share info I find useful. So on that note I'll say if you aren't familiar with Training Peaks, they're extremely well respected among cyclists and triathletes and are a good source of info.

Hi again. No - it's not confusing but really interesting. I managed to stay at around 145 - jogging for 30 minutes - using the treadmill @ 7 km. While weight loss is my priority I really want to gain speed and distsnce. Half sn hour at 7 km gets me under 4 km. I too don't want to go by "the feel" - if I did that I would have given up two weeks ago - so I'll do another test tomorrow. THANKS!
  • kimberleyford77
    Options
    JenHuedy wrote: »

Heart rate is generally used as a training tool for running to increase endurance and speed. The fat zone HR thing is a myth as far as how it applies to weight loss.

Thanks you! Now I just have to hit that treadmill and start properly monitoring my heart rate
  • kimberleyford77
    Options

I'd suggest going by perceived effort. Almost all of your running, at least initially, should be at a conversational pace. You're building your aerobic base.

The poster who mentioned interval training also prefaced her comments "I've run a long time" which changes everything.

I needed to be reminded about the conversational pace so thank you. I increased my speed just half a km and that was too much over 30 minutes. I'm leaning now - towards jogging at 7 km to maintain a heart rate around 145. See how I go :smile:
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Lactic threshold, vo2max, and other heart rate based training is best used for helping you get faster for a race. It does very little for helping you get in shape or lose weight. Don't get too hung up on your heart rate. Focus on keeping your pace slow and even for a long time.

Plus, the numbers you are getting by doing these tests on a treadmill are not going to be very accurate. To get anything even close to your lactic threshold you have to run your *kitten* off for 30 minutes or more on a track. And even that is not super accurate...
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'd make an observation about spurious accuracy, so essentially supporting rate of perceived effort rather than HR zone training. If you're hitting 145bpm at 9min/km then you've the potential make significant improvements in CV performance in a very short period of time. That essentially renders working at a target HR a bit moot as your target is moving all the time.

In about 6 months your CV performance might stabilise enough for target HR training not to be counterproductive.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

I needed to be reminded about the conversational pace so thank you. I increased my speed just half a km and that was too much over 30 minutes. I'm leaning now - towards jogging at 7 km to maintain a heart rate around 145. See how I go :smile:

Rather than heart rate - it narrows down to this...

1. Old lady pace
    2. Chatty pace
    3. Feel good hard
    4. Feel bad hard
    5. I am going to die
    6. Flat out

They're all good, but one can spend more time in 1, 2, and 3. It gets progressively difficult to spend time in 4, 5, and very short durations in 6.

A lot of 3, 4 and 5 is used during an endurance race...

24905429933_2873701303.jpg2015 Houston Marathon Weekend
  • RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    IMO in running it's best to go by pace as your target and not heart rate. It's easier and less variable. But how do you know what pace to run? There are calculators online to tell you, based on data compiled from thousands of runners. My favorite one is at https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/

To use it you'd need to run a race or a time trial and plug in your time. Like run a mile as fast as you can. Let's say you ran it in 8 minutes. Then your training "easy" pace would be 10-11 minutes per mile.
  • PiperGirl08
    PiperGirl08 Posts: 134 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    No one zone. Vary intensity and duration, i.e. speed, incline and length of time within each or both. The bottom line is that the harder you work, the more calories you burn. A caloric deficit results in weight loss.

A recent article in Outside, I believe, showed that running outside burns more calories than on a treadmill.