Intermittent Fasting

Options
Hey everyone ☺ just a quick question. I'm eating all my calories etc from about 12 to 6 pm then not eating again til 12 next day is this OK? Also I'm exercising in morning before I eat should I do this or exercise after I eat? Thanks in advance ☺

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If it suits you and helps to stick to your goals then eating in a restricted window is fine.

How long is this exercise? 2hrs+ would probably cause a problem!
    Eating before/during/after exercise is mostly just personal preference and how it affects your exercise performance and calorie/nutrient adherence.
    Don't sweat the small details unless you are an elite athlete.
  • kgj4105
    kgj4105 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If it's working for you, keep going with it. There's really nothing wrong with working out fasted (short of running a marathon or something, I'd imagine).
  • anne_driessen
    anne_driessen Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    As long as in that time period you eat a healthy amount of calories that is absolutely fine, if it helps you stick to your diet and you feel good about it (and you are not overdoing it on the exercise) you are conpletely golden.
  • LeoZandi
    LeoZandi Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yeah totally cool to, I do the same.. I'll fast for 18 or so hours then eat my calories I find it way easier plus it helps me from cravings.
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    Options
    Great article by Prevention about Intermittent fasting August, 2015. I know I read somewhere recently about this. It seems to work. Eat 500 calories one day, then eat normally (I presume that means eat in a healthy manner) the next day. According to the article you lose over 90% of the weight from fat - a good 15% higher than with typical diets-and just 10 % from muscle. Sounds interesting to me. Most people only consumed 10% more on their "feast" days so they still had a calorie deficit.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    AnnofB wrote: »
    Great article by Prevention about Intermittent fasting August, 2015. I know I read somewhere recently about this. It seems to work. Eat 500 calories one day, then eat normally (I presume that means eat in a healthy manner) the next day. According to the article you lose over 90% of the weight from fat - a good 15% higher than with typical diets-and just 10 % from muscle. Sounds interesting to me. Most people only consumed 10% more on their "feast" days so they still had a calorie deficit.

Prevention? Not really a great scientific source. I would be very skeptical. I read Dr. Mosley's take on 5:2, all his "evidence" was anecdotal. "My blood tests before vs. my blood tests after" that type of thing.

There are so many factors to consider.....how was this fat vs. muscle loss measured? If it was a scale.....that's a joke. What type of diet did they eat? What type of exercise did they do? Who (and how many) participated in the study.

What 5:2 is, is eating 500 calories (or 600 for men) on 2 days a week. Then MAINTENANCE the other 5. You already get quite a deficit from 2 days of dieting. Obese people could safely up that to 3 days.....but I would be skeptical that zig-zagging your calories prevents lean muscle loss (even when dieting aggressively).

Here's a link to the 5:2 group.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting
  • WTealA
    WTealA Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've done intermittent fasting and fasted cardio off and on throughout my fitness journey. Do it for a while, and then change it up! Make sure you're reading and researching plenty, and most important, pay attention to your body's responses.
  • matureduchess
    matureduchess Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Here is an interesting video clip of a Nutritionist discussing this topic. Very well done.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmB3KuwlFF8
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Mosley's 5:2 documentary shows him pigging out on cheeseburgers on the day after his fast. That gives the message you can "eat anything you want" on your non-fast days, The reason this program has had such a pathetic success rate, just like every fad diet. But Mosley laughed all the way to the bank.

That simply means he did it incorrectly. The point of 5:2 is to eat at a reduced (low) Calorie limit for two non-consecutive days and eat at maintenance Calorie levels the remainder.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Mosley's 5:2 documentary shows him pigging out on cheeseburgers on the day after his fast. That gives the message you can "eat anything you want" on your non-fast days, The reason this program has had such a pathetic success rate, just like every fad diet. But Mosley laughed all the way to the bank.

The really sad thing is that zig-zagging calories is not even a new concept. There's money in putting a new spin on existing stuff.

I do zig-zag my calories. I eat maintenance on weekends (and YES, I log them). Just because I'm not dieting doesn't mean I can eat whatever, that's common sense. Zig-zagging can be a lifestyle change. I know people who successfully maintain their weight while splurging on the weekends.

Let's face it, every "program" has a pathetic success rate. The vast majority of people who lose weight will gain it all back. Been there done that.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Sure, but keep an eye on your hunger and energy. I find I cannot fast until noon on days I exercise. I might make it today, having not exercised but I was getting really hangry around 10 am on workout days and needed my meal sooner. Be flexible so you can take the best care of yourself, but IF worked out with my schedule for quite a while and is still my go to on weekends. That's when I have the hardest time keeping calories within range and I can deal with feeling hungry because I'm not at work handling toddlers and their own mood issues!