Weightlifting more than cardio?

Options
I'm just starting out my weight loss journey again. I gained a lot of weight two years ago and lost 3 stone without really trying. But I've kind of plateaued where I am and when I do try it doesn't seem to do anything??
But my real question is has anyone reached their goal or lost weight through mainly weightlifting? I don't mind cardio but I enjoy lifting more! And if so what kind of lifting should I do/what is your usual routine?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I moved this to a better section for you.
  • nfr92xx
    nfr92xx Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!
  • nfr92xx
    Options
    Thank you that's really useful. I definitely need to weigh all of my foods. I was only really weighing oats, pasta and rice. I live in a rural area so my cardio consists of a lot of walking through the fields and up the mountain which I enjoy so cardio is okay for me but maybe I need to switch it up in the gym a bit more. More challenge based cardio rather than just going for X amount of time. But thank you so much for that!
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I lost weight (fat) because of deficit but did mostly weight training. I walk for cardio, too.
  • kellylseguin
    kellylseguin Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm trying to build muscle. I eat lots and workout 4 days a week. 3 days are heavy lifting circuit training and the 4th day is abs with about 20 mins of intense cardio. I am losing inches, seeing muscle build and losing a tiny bit of weight. In my opinion, lifting weights is more important than cardio. I also prefer lifting over cardio and it seems to be working for me. :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I started with both, but always mainly lifting. Eventually I dropped off the cardio all together. I hate cardio and like my physique better when I'm concentrating on lifting.
  • KiwiLifter
    KiwiLifter Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I believe that when overweight by quite a bit, the focus should be on cardio oriented activities, but with an element of resistance in them. Workouts should be constructed to safely burn as many calories as possible, without overloading your cardiovascualr system. When the ratio of lean mass to fat starts to shift, more lifting should be implemented. Lifting is where it's at, but bring your cardio and your stability systems up to speed first.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Do yourself a favor and get in the habit of doing both. Strength training will ensure thst you are firm and shapely when you lose the extra weight, and cardio will help ensure that your heart keeps beating though strenuous exercise and life stress.
  • arditarose
    Options
    KiwiLifter wrote: »
    I believe that when overweight by quite a bit, the focus should be on cardio oriented activities, but with an element of resistance in them. Workouts should be constructed to safely burn as many calories as possible, without overloading your cardiovascualr system. When the ratio of lean mass to fat starts to shift, more lifting should be implemented. Lifting is where it's at, but bring your cardio and your stability systems up to speed first.

Good thing that's just what you believe.
  • mathi000
    mathi000 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with SunnyBeaches. It is also important to remember that if you add lean muscle to your frame, you will ultimately burn more calories at rest. That additional caloric deficit along with any cardio will result in a more efficient overall approach.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    The only cardio I do is curcuit training.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Cardio is great for heart health. Do some, sure. But you can start lifting heavy at any time, and it's fine if that is your focus.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in a deficit aiming to lose about 7-8lbs through which I'll be doing mainly weightlifting probably with minimal cardio other than quick warmups. All you need is a deficit to lose weight, lifting can really be helpful in regards to maintaining muscle mass so that most of the weight lost if fat. Definitely make sure to weigh and measure your food. It makes all the difference.
  • nfr92xx
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    I lost weight (fat) because of deficit but did mostly weight training. I walk for cardio, too.

How many calories roughly were you eating when you were loosing weight? And what's the best way to ensure you do burn more than you eat?
  • nfr92xx
    Options
    Right now I'm trying to build muscle. I eat lots and workout 4 days a week. 3 days are heavy lifting circuit training and the 4th day is abs with about 20 mins of intense cardio. I am losing inches, seeing muscle build and losing a tiny bit of weight. In my opinion, lifting weights is more important than cardio. I also prefer lifting over cardio and it seems to be working for me. :)

That's amazing :) thank you! Do you find you don't have as much loose skin from lifting and that everything's a lot tighter??
  • nfr92xx
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I started with both, but always mainly lifting. Eventually I dropped off the cardio all together. I hate cardio and like my physique better when I'm concentrating on lifting.

You look amazing!! What kind of lifting should I be doing?? I love heavy lifting anyway I love the challenge but my gym is a little limited. I do 4 sets of 15reps on the machines but the free weights section is quite limited so I do more work with kettle bells than bars. In my old gym I used to deadlift and it had a lot more equipment so maybe going back there might be best to get the results I want?.. What's your usual kind of routine??
  • nfr92xx
    Options
    KiwiLifter wrote: »

What kind of activities would you recommend? I don't feel as though I'm that inventive with my cardio and seem to do the same thing. My usual is 5k on a stationary bike at level 5 aim to do it in 13mins then 30-40mins on a cross trainer then onto the weights if I'm in the gym. Outside the gym is a walk up the mountain by my house.
  • nfr92xx
    Options
    Do yourself a favor and get in the habit of doing both. Strength training will ensure thst you are firm and shapely when you lose the extra weight, and cardio will help ensure that your heart keeps beating though strenuous exercise and life stress.

I do do both :) I was just wondering if by plateauing it would be okay to just do mainly weights in the gym? I walk a lot outside the gym as where I live is in the country and has some lovely trails!
  • nfr92xx
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    The only cardio I do is curcuit training.

How do you find just doing circuits? Do you find your body is used to the routine at all??