How to get rid of fat arms!?! Help!

Options
I have lost about 120 lbs and I still have lots of fat on my arms! Why is it so hard to lose this fat? With Summer coming up I would like to be able to wear tank tops and short sleeves. I am only about 25 lbs to my goal weight and am hoping that I will lose it eventually. I know you can't spot reduce fat but any tips would be appreciated! Thank you!

Replies

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    The only way to lose arm fat is overall reduction in body fat. Since you have already lost a lot of weight, it may be mostly loose skin. If this is the case, unfortunately there's nothing you can do to reduce the skin aside from getting skin removal surgery.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss so far! What's your current exercise regimen?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I know you can't spot reduce fat

If you know this is the answer, then why ask? Some places lose quicker than others, some lose slower.
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Tip- lifting weights might give you enough muscle definition that even if your arms are bigger you still feel confident wearing tank tops etc. I developed some definition after about 3 months of body weight exercises (in addition to losing 10% of body weight over the same period),but my arms look better now.

I have only just starting lifting with a barbell, so hopefully I'll see some more progress in the next few months.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    If it is loose skin, building muscle will help because it will fill out some of the skin a bit and give your arms more structure.
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    If it is loose skin, building muscle will help because it will fill out some of the skin a bit and give your arms more structure.

I was going to ask this too.. are you sure it's fat and not loose skin? Alot of people bulk out their arms if it's loose skin as the only other option tends to be surgery if it's really bad.
    As for spot reducing.. I read a lot of years ago that following an extremely low fat diet would help you lose from the fattiest areas first.. It's a bit controversial of course and not everyone will agree but I have to say when I did it and took my measurements each week, I did lose more weight from the largest areas and not my face/bust etc.. however this could just be the normal way some people lose weight... could be worth looking in to though?
  • lollywoo7
    lollywoo7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

If you know this is the answer, then why ask? Some places lose quicker than others, some lose slower.

No need to be rude, she's just looking for help
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    lollywoo7 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »

No need to be rude, she's just looking for help

lol @ this being rude