Spinning/cycling shoes advice needed

Options
I have recently started attending the spinning/cycling classes at my local gym. I've done about 8 classes so far.
I find myself enjoying these classes quite a bit, and I am hoping to regularly attend them in the future too. I have been wearing my regular sneakers to class, and need to buckle it within the pedal loop. Several machines I have used have broken buckles, and as a result, my feet are not secured to the pedal. I feel very unstable when I pedal at high rpms.
I think it is time I invest in a decent pair of spinning shoes that can clip onto the pedal.

I have a few questions for all you experienced spinners out there:

1) what do I need to look for while buying a decent pair of spinning shoes?
2) what brand do you recommend?
3) where did you buy your shoes?

Thanks for all the help!

Replies

• curiousgemfit
    curiousgemfit Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of shimanos that I really like. The sole is very stiff, so I get a ton of stability on the bike. Clipping in will also help you bring your resistance up higher safely.

I prefer the one with velcro for easy on and off before and after class.

Also make sure to check your gym's bikes to see what kind of clip they require. You will need to buy those separately and have them installed. Have it done at the store, as an improper install can be painful on your knees

EDIT** I bought mine at REI and tried on a bunch before I decided.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Ask you gym what type of pedals they have on their spin bikes. It's probably SPD but I have seen some spin bikes with road clips. Then go to a bike shop and ask about shoes for spin bikes. There will be a range of shoes from cheap to really expensive. Someone at the shop should be able to fit you into a nice comfortable pair of shoes. They will be able to put the cheats on the bottom the shoe if you want them to.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I have been doing research and considering buying cycling shoes. Brands that I'm considering are Pearl Izumi, Mavic Scorpio, Fizik, and Louis Garneau. The problem is that the number of stores that sell these types of shoes is a lot less than for other sports such as running or basketball. The pricing isn't very competitive so I have been keeping my eyes open for a deal. I may try Ebay. I hope other MFPs have additional advice.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Go to a cycling store, they will help you out.
    I have been doing research and considering buying cycling shoes. Brands that I'm considering are Pearl Izumi, Mavic Scorpio, Fizik, and Louis Garneau. The problem is that the number of stores that sell these types of shoes is a lot less than for other sports such as running or basketball. The pricing isn't very competitive so I have been keeping my eyes open for a deal. I may try Ebay. I hope other MFPs have additional advice.

Where do you live? In my town, there are tons of cycling stores...more than running specific stores. If you're just talking about a big box type of sporting goods store then yeah...you're not going to find much in the way of good cycling gear...go to an actual cycling store. You can expect to pay as much for a good pair of cycling shoes as you would a good pair of running shoes like Brooks, etc. They're not cheap and you get what you pay for.
  • stevenlcopeland
    stevenlcopeland Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have Bontrager and love them. My shoes are a cyclocross type but work excellent. 99% of Spin Bikes are equipped with SPD clips. Go to your local bike shop and they will fit you with shoes. Tell them what the purpose of the shoes will be and they will set you up. Money wise, you should be able to get into some shoes for less than 100 dollars. Also, cycling shoes are designed to fit snug so when you are being fitted and they feel a smidge tight, don't worry about it. Also once you get your shoes, always carry your wrench with you. It is wise to check your cleats periodically for tightness. Welcome to the world of Spin Cycling. I'm in a group that Spin for 3.5 hours straight on Saturdays during the winter. Have to do something to get our cycling fix when it is cold. Good luck.

Steve
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend buying spinning shoes. You get more power in your climbs, enabling you to workout more efficiently and harder. Especially when doing high intensity intervals, you can really pedal away as much as your muscles allow with cycle shoes.

I bought my shoes at an UK based site called chainreaction. Amazon is ok too, but very often sold out. I tried on shoes in a real store first, to find out the best size. Unlike sneakers, cycling shoes have to be really snug. Look for MTB shoes, not road shoes. You also want a shoe with 3 tightening velcros, so that the shoes can be adjusted to a snug fit to your feet. I got Shimano shoes, but I think as long as you find something that suit your feet is more important.

You have to buy the cleats in addition. I prefer the multirelease, but it's a matter of preference. It's not hard to install the cleats yourself with an umbraco. I got one that can be folded out like a swiss knife with different sizes.

I'm currently taking courses to become a spinning instructor, feel free to add me or ask if there's anything you want to know, maybe I can help you:)
  • bikeperson
    bikeperson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Ok, the first thing you need to find out is which type of pedal your gym bikes use. The majority use SPD (Shimano Pedaling Dynamics), so you need to look for shoes that is SPD compatible. The SPD cleat will need two holes in your shoes

Now there are three types of cycling shoes: Road, Mountain and new type with rubber outsole
    The road shoes have a rigid sole for maximum power transfer to the pedals but they are impossible to walk with and tend to be more expensive that the other types. Will be overkill for a spinning class unless you want to use it for your road bike

The MTB shoes are more flexible because are designed to walk with them in case you need to “hike” your bike in the trails, provide protection to your toes and are made for durable material to last the abuse of water and mud, again you may be paying for something that you do not need

The rubber cycling shoes look like running shoes, are the most flexible and good looking, you can even do some strength training in the gym before or after your class with them. They are probably the best shoes for spinning

About brands Road = Sidi, MTB = Shimano, Rubber ones= I do not have those but the” Pearl Izumi X-Alp Drift” looks nice

About where to buy it, your local bicycle store should have some limited selection of shoes that you can try, but Amazon sells lots of shoes and their return policy is very flexible

Remember that the shoe needs to feel tight so when you pull the pedal up and push it forward your foot does not move inside the shoe.

Good luck and happy spinning classes
  • curiousgemfit
    curiousgemfit Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! You've all given me such detailed replies.. I now understand it much better.
    I shall try on some shoes at a local cycling store or at an REI near home, and see what feels best. Thanks again to every one of you for all the guidance and advice. Really appreciate it very much !! :)
  • svinson319
    svinson319 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Are you still spinning?