Do you have a rest week?

Options
I hear of some folk doing this, say having a week off from exercise every 8 weeks or so. I usually work out 6 days per week with weights, I've noticed a few pains and could probably do with a rest but find it hard to do nothing.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    dave_in_ni wrote: »
    I hear of some folk doing this, say having a week off from exercise every 8 weeks or so. I usually work out 6 days per week with weights, I've noticed a few pains and could probably do with a rest but find it hard to do nothing.

I typically take one when I am on vacation once a year down south but otherwise nope...I haven't taken a full week off just for the sake of it.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    A week is pretty long, let's you remember what it is like to be lazy.
  • chewyxrage
    chewyxrage Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Same as above, I take a couple vacations per year that are usually a week each and maybe a couple others that are 4 days. I use those as rest....never purposefully schedule a rest week.
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't take off an entire week. I always feel even more out of shape if I go that long between workouts. How about maybe just an extra couple days in a row? So, in addition to your one off day (let's say it's Sunday), I wouldn't go back to working out until Wednesday.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Some periodized training plans include "rest" weeks to avoid burnout.

The basic principles are:

* The athlete peaks for a limited number of key competitions. These we call the A races - the most important races of the year.

* Long-range planning is essential. In order to peak for the important race(s), you must plan for them and the steps that are necessary to get to the best fitness for those races. Generally we have an annual plan, which is further broken down into multi-week periods and then weekly training schedules.

* Training progresses from the general to the specific as the year progresses.

* Training periods include "rest" weeks, generally every 4th week of the period. This allows for the unloading of fatigue from the previous three works. These are active rest weeks however; training doesn't stop, but rather the total weekly training hours are lowered.

* Workouts aren't just randomly done, but rather are tailored with specific physiological systems and skills in mind. These include economy and aerobic capacity. Sports specific skills in swimming, biking, and running are specified.

* Periodization is individual; there is no one-size fits all. Athletes have variations that must be taken into account when planning the training periods. For example, beginners may need more rest days during the week. Masters athletes can benefit from strength conditioning year round.
  • tamaraworrall
    tamaraworrall Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    If I'm on holiday for a few days or a bit longer I will still stick to my eating plan but do more walking than normal and I will swim if can as well as running .
    My brother lost 14 stone 8 years ago and he has rest weeks when on holiday and scoffs whatever he wants when he wants and at the weekend but he also does loads of walking whilst on holiday
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I may lower my intensity for lifting here or there, as a rest/recovery method, but I don't usually just take a week off of exercise for anything other than vacation (during which I tend to be more active than I am in my everyday life.) Physical activity makes me feel good mentally as well as physically. Taking time off to do nothing would be counterproductive. I am not happy when I can't get up and do something.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    An entire week, never. I would go stir crazy!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I take recovery weeks after my major competitions. It's a chance to recover from max effort and get mentally recovered as well.

Peaking for a major competition is a mentally and physically draining experience. Having a week to recover is paramount to long term success and enjoyment.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Most of the programs I run have a deload week built into them. Either a routine one or towards the end of a cycle. It's not that you take a week off, you just reduce the volume and weight A LOT but you still do some type of lifting.
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I would have trouble returning after a full week, myself.
    However, I always listen to my body. If I'm tired/super sore/achy, I will skip a workout or two. I know the difference between "I don't feel like it" and really needing a rest.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    The average person who isn't competition training does not need a week off.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    @NorthCascades gave a great answer above.
    Many training plans have a 'rest week' but this just means cutting back on say the distance of your workouts, not speed or number. In fact a recovery run can be more beneficial than no exercise at all. I literally cannot remember the last time I went an entire week without working out. I'm going a bit nuts having had to have 2 rest days in a row this week due to business travel. (angry face)
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    sarabushby wrote: »
    @NorthCascades gave a great answer above.
    Many training plans have a 'rest week' but this just means cutting back on say the distance of your workouts, not speed or number. In fact a recovery run can be more beneficial than no exercise at all. I literally cannot remember the last time I went an entire week without working out. I'm going a bit nuts having had to have 2 rest days in a row this week due to business travel. (angry face)

Yeah, agree that NorthCascades called out the triathlon routine pretty well. The reduced volume weeks ( often 40% less) allow our bodies to "recover" and capture the fitness gains made previously before the next round of progressively increased load. This is particularly important as we age. In my case, I must be careful to maintain enough separation between high intensity days in order to minimize the chances of injury, especially as cumulative training load increases. I'm even considering going to a 9 day cycle (as opposed to 7 day) to allow time for enough high volume work while maintaining adequate separation between speed work sessions.

Finally, regarding strength work: I do quite a bit of it in the offseason, but cut way back and ultimately stop for a month or so during the peak of racing season to conserve all available training energy for swim/bike/run sessions.

This year's "A" race is 19 weeks out, but who's counting? lol
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I run programs where I'm supposed to take a deload, so not stop working out but lifting at a much lower percent of my one rep max. My ego is too big though and I don't do it.
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'd feel like a lazy slob if I took a whole week off. I have a long to days ahead of me and probably won't get in much if anything at all (vacation packing/driving/flight) so I went hard in the gym today.
  • ladyv_39
    ladyv_39 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have in past years for vacations and holidays. I haven't taken off a full week this year yet. It's likely that I will later this year though, around the holiday season.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options

Yes! I take a "rest week" either every 3rd or 4th week - depending on my training block.That's where the body gets strong through supercompensation and all the work we put into the 2-3 weeks leading up to gets to grow to fruition.

Usually it's a 5 day rest week, volume is lower, intensity is shorter. Lots of active recovery during those rest weeks.

I highly recommend it. It will take you to new levels you were not aware could be reached...
  • dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options

Yes! I take a "rest week" either every 3rd or 4th week - depending on my training block.That's where the body gets strong through supercompensation and all the work we put into the 2-3 weeks leading up to gets to grow to fruition.

Usually it's a 5 day rest week, volume is lower, intensity is shorter. Lots of active recovery during those rest weeks.

I highly recommend it. It will take you to new levels you were not aware could be reached...

The body wants to the mind doesn't. I did a light workout Sunday morning and rested Monday and Tuesday back at it today and felt really strong, I always struggled with the standing shoulder press and found it easy today after a couple of days rest,
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    After working out 6x a day of straight cardio (for the first month) and doing another 6x a week (3 days cardio and 3 days strength) for another month, i'm feeling a bit run down. I was also looking into that theory i found off of the body builders forum. I'm definitely going to take a couple days off, i'm just not sure if i'll do the whole week. But then again, i might (in a sense). Warm weather is coming back so i will be more active (in general) doing outdoor activities. Longer walks, racquetball, bike rides.

If you feel the need to take a break, do it. I have started to dread my workouts, and even when i push myself to do them they suck. But i fear if i go too long i wont get back into it. I don't know.