Clean eating

Yeh,
I'm a no grain vegan. Was vegan years ago ( 5) and slowly but surely started eating meat a few years back. It was my choice and I didn't regret it. I was heavily, physically active back then. Kickboxing twice a week, zumba twice a week and mountain biking regularly.

Fast forward to a meat mostly diet, add 5 years to my age and a slow regression of the physical activity to a complete halt a year ago. Voila! 20pd weight gain. Got fed up a month ago. I was 140 and I'm happy at 120. Went on a liquid fast for a week to ease myself back into veganism. NO other way to do it for me. Became vegan three weeks ago. Deleted grains from my diet also. I only consume fresh fruit in the mornings and usually have stir fry at dinner time. I also eat plenty of fresh guacamole and olive oil for my healthy fats.

Down to 134 as of Monday morning. That's in three weeks. I DID cheat today, had a small bag of lay's and snuck a cheese filled sausage from circle k. I feel terrible, but packing a lunch for tomorrow so there is less chance of a mistake. Clean eating and portion size ( less so with clean, whole eating and no complex carbs) is the only way to go for me. From now on.

Replies

• KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Wow, that sounds awfully restrictive for me, but if it works for you - good luck!

• sndrd49
    sndrd49 Posts: 234 Member
    Can I ask where you're getting your protein? I went vegan for a year a few years ago but couldn't maintain it for that reason. A girl can only eat so much tofu and tempeh! I actually gained weight because with not enough protein I rarely felt satiated so I over ate.
  • heavy_heavy_lowlow
    heavy_heavy_lowlow Posts: 45 Member
    yes im vegan as well for a while now. on and off over a long period of time. i love baked asparagus with seasoning on top and tofu stir fry and veggie kabobs on the grill and all that haha. drink water alot. havent had a soda or fruit drink in 6 years. so im good on that. no extra salt. no meat not even fish. take my supplements and work out daily usually over an hour sometimes 2 hours a day but twice in one day. idk love treadmill. good music and workout is best. lost about 7 pounds in 2 weeks.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    That sounds awfully restrictive. I guess if it works for you though-good luck.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Yeh,
    I'm a no grain vegan. Was vegan years ago ( 5) and slowly but surely started eating meat a few years back. It was my choice and I didn't regret it. I was heavily, physically active back then. Kickboxing twice a week, zumba twice a week and mountain biking regularly.

Fast forward to a meat mostly diet, add 5 years to my age and a slow regression of the physical activity to a complete halt a year ago. Voila! 20pd weight gain. Got fed up a month ago. I was 140 and I'm happy at 120. Went on a liquid fast for a week to ease myself back into veganism. NO other way to do it for me. Became vegan three weeks ago. Deleted grains from my diet also. I only consume fresh fruit in the mornings and usually have stir fry at dinner time. I also eat plenty of fresh guacamole and olive oil for my healthy fats.

Down to 134 as of Monday morning. That's in three weeks. I DID cheat today, had a small bag of lay's and snuck a cheese filled sausage from circle k. I feel terrible, but packing a lunch for tomorrow so there is less chance of a mistake. Clean eating and portion size ( less so with clean, whole eating and no complex carbs) is the only way to go for me. From now on.

Mountain biking helps as well. B)

Singletrack, then getting home to fire up the Wok for the evening's stir fry is my favorite combo.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »
    That sounds awfully restrictive. I guess if it works for you though-good luck.

Here's the thing though . . . it sounds like it isn't working because it can't be sustained. OP, if veganism is important to you, maybe consider easing up on the additional restrictions? If you allow yourself to eat a wide variety of plant-based foods, you probably won't have the impulse to "cheat."
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Went on a liquid fast for a week to ease myself back into veganism. NO other way to do it for me. Became vegan three weeks ago. Deleted grains from my diet also. I only consume fresh fruit in the mornings and usually have stir fry at dinner time. I also eat plenty of fresh guacamole and olive oil for my healthy fats.

Down to 134 as of Monday morning. That's in three weeks. I DID cheat today, had a small bag of lay's and snuck a cheese filled sausage from circle k. I feel terrible, but packing a lunch for tomorrow so there is less chance of a mistake. Clean eating and portion size (less so with clean, whole eating and no complex carbs) is the only way to go for me. From now on.

Are you sure? Clean eating means nothing. Veganism is strict enough, what's wrong with grains now? Adults shouldn't have to sneak food. Eating shouldn't make you feel terrible. If you're cheating on your diet, you're not on a diet. Why are you on a diet anyway, if your lifestyle is the only way to go for you? I don't understand.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited April 2016
    IMHO, I know you didn't ask but, I don't think strict vegetarianism is for you. If you have no medical reason to be on restriction, why do it? Why can't you just consume less meat and grains, that way you won't have to feel like it is a cheat? Your eating plan sounds down right miserable and awfully restrictive.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    If you enjoy snacking but don't want to feel bad make your own chips out of veggies. I roast my own garbanzo beans (chick peas) at a low temp and add seasonings I like. I also make my own protien bars, and keep fresh fruit already prepped (berries, apples, etc) so I can instantly snack without getting lazy and buying something heavily processed. I spend Sunday afternoons grocery shopping and then prepping he prepping takes a couple of hours but I do kale, beets, apples, carrots, pineapple, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, kiwi, corn, Japanese sweet potatoes, artichokes, and maybe something exotic of its available. Once done it's done, and readily available throughout the week.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    I tried the only fruit in the morning thing for a while and stopped as there was no good reason for me to do it and just fruit does not satiate me.

Why no grains? Unless you have a medical condition that being grain-free helps, I don't see the point. I limit products made wheat flour as they make me sleepy and do not fill me up, but I eat sprouted wheat bread, rice, oats, corn, and bulgur. Since you're vegan, I do see the point of focusing on higher protein carbs like legumes, but being strictly no grain (and only fruit in the AM) seems like you're making an awful lot of rules.

At 134 pounds, you only have 16 pounds to lose to get to your happy weight of 120 - why not get there slowly, sustainably, and without being overly restrictive?
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Sounds like a miserable woe that's not realistic or sustainable. Good luck!