Mock Mash Potatoes?

Options
kamakazeekim
kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
Has anyone ever had mock mash potatoes made out of cauliflower? Is it any good? I'd really love some recipes if you have any :smile:

Replies

• southernGIRLgetsFIT
    southernGIRLgetsFIT Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    They are AMAZING! I make mine by steaming one head of cauliflower that I cut up into bite size pieces. I love garlic so I steam three or four peeled cloves along with the cauliflower, but you can leave that out. I then throw my soft cauliflower into my Ninja Blender (any blender would do the trick, or a food processor) I put in a little sea salt, pepper, and a table spoon of light butter and pulse it till smooth. In my opinion, it tastes just like mashed potatoes. They can be refrigerated and reheated as well.
  • vinsonh42
    vinsonh42 Posts: 125
    Options
    bump. never heard of this but definitely want to try this!
  • southernGIRLgetsFIT
    southernGIRLgetsFIT Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've tried just mashing them like potatos with a fork or with the actual potato masher but I just don't find it gets smooth enough. Blending works perfectly! I've also heard of people adding a little chicken broth to give flavor but I found mine to have enough.
  • MinglewoodBlues
    Options
    Sweet! Bump!
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    I just made a mock "loaded potato casserole" the other night and my husband loved it.!

1 head cauliflower - cook your preferred way (steamed or boiled) until very tender
    4oz fat free cream cheese
    1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    4 tablespoons bacon pieces
    2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
    1/2 tablespoon minced garlic

Once the cauliflower is cooked, drain excess moisture and put in food processor with all the other ingredients. Blend well. Transfer into glass baking dish, sprinkle with a little cheese and bake for 20 min at 350 degrees.
    At 6 servings, this comes to about 168 calories per serving. This was my first time making it and the ingredients made this LOADED with flavor. You could easily cut back on the 2 cheeses and bacon to about half what is mentioned here and still have plenty of flavor. It would also drop your calories down to around 100 per serving.
  • angelajrivera
    angelajrivera Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bump!!
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I do mine with cream cheese, bacon, and I roast my garlic in the oven so it's got a bit of sweetness.
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    Bump, bump!
  • mikkijane1
    mikkijane1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Now I'm hungry!
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Brilliant! :bigsmile:
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I make mine with a little bit of butter (1/2 Tbs for a head of cauliflower) and add some garlic powder, black pepper, and sauted onions.
  • MegdKel
    MegdKel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Bumping! Thanks!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Steam em, drain em, toss in blender with sour cream and parmesan. They're really good! I especially enjoy using 50/50 cauliflower & parsnips.
  • PearonaPair
    Options
    Bump
  • arenkel
    arenkel Posts: 77
    Options
    Yumm!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    need to try this sometime... keep hearing about it... glad you brought it up OP!:drinker:
  • SerenaNatasha
    Options
    One word..."amazing!"
  • ElicitDreams
    ElicitDreams Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone, they are delicious!

I just steam the cauliflower with a few cloves of garlic and then run it through the food processor with some salt, pepper, garlic powder, and plain greek yogurt (which I use in leiu of sour cream for the added protein).

My favorite main dish to make with that is a simple pan fried spinach and feta stuffed chicken breast.
  • AZnewme
    AZnewme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I roast the garlic and the cauliflower very slowly (so it gets tender enough) and then mix it with a hand blender. I do add just a touch of fat free or low fat sour cream and of course salt and pepper. Love them! Love the loaded mock potato ideas! Have to try that!