Personal trainer and nutritionist

Options
GrenadeRachel
GrenadeRachel Posts: 40 Member
edited April 2016 in Introduce Yourself
Hi guys, I'm Rachel Laura trainee nutritionist and personal trainer if anyone would like or need any help with their nutrition and dieting or even workout tips I'm always happy to help. I'm just a message away!

Replies

• teamvic
    teamvic Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi Rachel, thanks for the kind offer. Trying to eat healthily and also increase my protein intake but meat is so expensive. Whats the cheapest source of protein I could start introducing?
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I studied nutrition in college. Very unusual that a nutritionist would offer assistance here. What is your training and your degree?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    teamvic wrote: »
    Hi Rachel, thanks for the kind offer. Trying to eat healthily and also increase my protein intake but meat is so expensive. Whats the cheapest source of protein I could start introducing?

Protein powder is actually cheaper than meat or dairy but obviously you need a larger initial outlay for a tub of the stuff!
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I studied nutrition in college. Very unusual that a nutritionist would offer assistance here. What is your training and your degree?

It does say she is a trainee, if you'd bothered to read the post before making a judgement. I'd imagine she is offering assistance here to put what she has learned into practice before qualifying and moving into the paid world?
  • GrenadeRachel
    Options

It's the personal trainers choice if they would like to help people for free or not out of the goodness of their hearts. My personal trainers I don't pay for. Gather your information before you cause a debate.
  • GrenadeRachel
    Options

Like Tavistocktoad said whey probably is the cheapest bet but you can't just get all your protein from shakes that wouldn't be healthy. Eggs, are pretty cheap, make sure not to eat too many yolks just the whites, nuts, seeds etc fish also! Salmon, tuna, cod without batter etc. But I'm sure if you shopped around you could find some decent lean meat for a good price.
  • GrenadeRachel
    edited April 2016
    Options

It does say she is a trainee, if you'd bothered to read the post before making a judgement. I'd imagine she is offering assistance here to put what she has learned into practice before qualifying and moving into the paid world?

Accurate Josh thank you!:)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Rachellwbu wrote: »

Like Tavistocktoad said whey probably is the cheapest bet but you can't just get all your protein from shakes that wouldn't be healthy. Eggs, are pretty cheap, make sure not to eat too many yolks just the whites, nuts, seeds etc fish also! Salmon, tuna, cod without batter etc. But I'm sure if you shopped around you could find some decent lean meat for a good price.

How many is 'too many' egg yolks?
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options

As @TavistockToad says, powders work out the best bang per buck per g or protein. I did have a spreadsheet which compared powders and other food types but I can't find it now (must have deleted it) but from memory cottage cheese and Greek yoghurt were next cheapest. Eggs were cheaper than any meats and fish. And the cheapest fish per g of protein was canned tuna.

Note that I only considered the foods I was willing to eat regularly and those which did not also contain large amounts of carbs and fat (because I often found myself hunting for protein but up to my limit on the other two macros).

Also interesting to note that there was a large variation in the price of protein powders and (not surprisingly) the less well known brands and internet retailers did better than the supermarket/health food store brands.

Best wishes.
  • GrenadeRachel
    edited April 2016
    Options

How many is 'too many' egg yolks?

Depending on your cholesterol level i wouldn't eat more than 4 yolks a day.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options

Protein powder is actually cheaper than meat or dairy but obviously you need a larger initial outlay for a tub of the stuff!

^that^ or adding protein rich legumes / vegetables to the daily diet - can in some cases hit between 20 & 30 gr. of protein with a cup of cooked beans.

• solidtrunk
    solidtrunk Posts: 6 Member
    Options

I get my protein powder from Costco. Around 6lbs of muscle milk for 31.99 last I checked.
  • Curvy1Gezel
    Curvy1Gezel Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm doing intense boxing classes on a Tuesday and Thursday for 1hour burning roughly 700 calories and on a Saturday for 1.5hours burning roughly 1050 calories I try to stay around 1500 calories on days I don't train and around 2000 on days I do is this ok?
    I do need to loose around 1stone in weight but also need to tone up.
    Also my sodium Intake is always low apart from maybe onece a week where it's really high is this ok? Or should I try to even it out ?
    Thank you in advance
  • GrenadeRachel
    Options
    I'm doing intense boxing classes on a Tuesday and Thursday for 1hour burning roughly 700 calories and on a Saturday for 1.5hours burning roughly 1050 calories I try to stay around 1500 calories on days I don't train and around 2000 on days I do is this ok?
    Also my sodium Intake is always low apart from maybe onece a week where it's really high is this ok? Or should I try to even it out ?
    Thank you in advance

Sounds brilliant to me, it sounds like you have everything all worked out for yourself
  • Curvy1Gezel
    Curvy1Gezel Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Thank you in advance

Sounds brilliant to me, it sounds like you have everything all worked out for yourself

Woohoo lol thanks for the reassurance I was worried I was doing it wrong :)
  • Rick_1953
    Rick_1953 Posts: 596 Member
    Options

Chicken or turkey