Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Meat Eater, Vegetarian or Vegan?

Replies

• MissGB11
    MissGB11 Posts: 5 Member
    People do realise that the sheer number of humans and clearing of land for agricultural needs is the main threat to the environment right? Being a vegan is ethical in the animal cruelty category (arguably) only for domestic animals raised purely for food, unless you eat a lot of wild meat but that's a whole new argument (I'm pro hunting if its done correctly and the beast is eaten and not a trophy). However it doesn't reduce the habitat destruction, fragmentation or overconsumption in wild ecosystems. The "ethics" argument baffles me - domestic animals have the right not to die quickly and humanely for food but wild animals can die slowly from starvation/habitat loss so we can grow more soy? I agree the practices could be better (I hate caged meat and feed lots) but the push for those practices was driven by population and consumption... Mainly in developed nations.

Omnivore over here. We raise chickens for eggs at home and Australia has pretty good meat - even kangaroo is delicious.
  • pingpolarpear
    pingpolarpear Posts: 2 Member
    I am vegetarian for ethical reasons, personally I think if any of the listed diets are done right they could be equally as healthy, veganism is a much more compassionate diet though.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    All can be healthy. I was a healthy vegetarian for a long time. I have food intolerance issues now (medically induced). In trying to deal with this my diet has gone to vegan. Personally because of the food intolerance issues I became very ill on the vegan diet. I wasn't able to digest grains, legumes, or fodmaps. I became underweight (even eating over 2500 calories per day). So, I added a serving of fresh chicken (I also have histamine reactions), and a glass of kefir, and a couple egg yolks. I might have to change my diet again at some point because of the histamine reactions (that's the reason I initially went vegan). But, my health has improved 95%. My diet is still predominantly vegetables. I also eat nuts. So, apparently, some people can't go vegan/vegetarian because of medical issues and intolerance. I didn't know that.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Eat whatever way you want. What is the point of debating?

hmyujj65rcm8.jpeg
  • Li5a_B
    Li5a_B Posts: 18 Member
    I'm a pescatarian, but don't try to force my views onto others, much like religion... it's a personal choice. :-D
  • My_Inner_Hero
    My_Inner_Hero Posts: 4 Member
    iona_ellen wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have friends who eat meat,, vegetarian & vegans.

So your friends eat all three? In reality, nobody is safe. RUN!!!

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,379 Member
    I eat all things.

As for moral and ethical decisions, I just try to do the best I can and focus on doing better rather than cast any judgment on others. There are huge numbers of things that impact natural habitat, resources, cruelty, etc regardless.

If we are on the internet, we probably used resources that killed animals through removing those resources and habitat. The computers, electricity, and homes all take space from nature. And our being here takes food resources, as does anything alive.
  • goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Since Sept 2015 I became vegetarian. I've been 98% vegan since Feb 2016. I've eliminated most animal products to lower my cancer risks. I'm currently stage 3 Breast cancer survivor and never want to have that again! Plus I feel so much better in my body eating this way!
  • WTealA
    WTealA Posts: 8 Member
    I don't eat meat, not even chicken or fish. I stopped eating meat, lost 30 lbs in a month. It's been 4 years now and I'll never go back. It just made me feel so sick and heavy all the time, I don't digest it well.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    MissGB11 wrote: »
    People do realise that the sheer number of humans and clearing of land for agricultural needs is the main threat to the environment right? Being a vegan is ethical in the animal cruelty category (arguably) only for domestic animals raised purely for food, unless you eat a lot of wild meat but that's a whole new argument (I'm pro hunting if its done correctly and the beast is eaten and not a trophy). However it doesn't reduce the habitat destruction, fragmentation or overconsumption in wild ecosystems. The "ethics" argument baffles me - domestic animals have the right not to die quickly and humanely for food but wild animals can die slowly from starvation/habitat loss so we can grow more soy? I agree the practices could be better (I hate caged meat and feed lots) but the push for those practices was driven by population and consumption... Mainly in developed nations.

Omnivore over here. We raise chickens for eggs at home and Australia has pretty good meat - even kangaroo is delicious.

All of this. Small animals are also often killed to keep them out of the crops.

We raise chickens (for meat and eggs) and we hunt and we grow a lot of our fruits vegetables and nuts. We do what we can. Partly for ethical reasons, but if I'm being honest the pleasure I get from it and the idea that it's likely healthier for us is the main factor. We also buy a good deal of food.
  • BinaryPulsar
    I definitely respect the choice to be vegan and vegetarian. I will again if I recover from this GI condition.
  • BinaryPulsar
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I definitely respect the choice to be vegan and vegetarian. I will again if I recover from this GI condition.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Thanks! ♥
  • Rob_in_MI
    Rob_in_MI Posts: 393 Member
    Meat and veggies. Though the screaming of the beans and broccoli does bother me when a steam it...
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Rob_in_MI wrote: »
    Meat and veggies. Though the screaming of the beans and broccoli does bother me when a steam it...

o.0

That's never happened to me.
  • closetlibrarian
    closetlibrarian Posts: 2,207 Member
    Omnivore, although I do try to be careful how I source my animal products.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    shell1005 wrote: »
    MissGB11 wrote: »

The domestic impact on the earth, even if we put the ethical piece aside is still pretty staggering. I usually just focus on my own plate, but not when people put my own ethical choice in quotes and throw shade at it.....

climatechange-1.gif

Is this the same for all meats, or just hamburger? There are meats other than beef after all. There are bad farming practices for plants and meat.