Ideas for positive mini-goals

Options
What mini- goals have you set for yourself that motivate you? I want to stay positive, and I am afraid to set one that says lose x pounds by a set time.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Lose 1 more pound or 5 more pounds. No time frame needed. Lose 1 inch. Walk x steps Per day. Walk or run in a new location or with a new person. Take progress pics if you dont. Try a new class or one new exercise. Use a heavier weight. Do an extras squat or push up. Try a new recipe. Try a new veggie or fruit or one you haven't had in years. Start a journal/scrapbook of your journey. Print out and pin up some favorite quotes. Read some articles or a book. You get the idea. Good luck.
    'Small daily improvements lead to staggering long term results'--Robin Sharma
  • odieluv1
    odieluv1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I tend to go all in and burn out because I expect perfection. This time I'm being mindful of baby steps. My current goal is 10,000 steps every day for a week. I use challenges on my Fitbit for motivation
  • MurphmomSparkles
    MurphmomSparkles Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the ideas @lorrpb and @odieluv1

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    From one perfectionist to another, baby steps are t he only way to do this! It works.

• Jcox300
    Jcox300 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    10,000 steps can be hard for a beginner so building up can be a good goal. today im going to try for this. i make a game out it. or just drinking an extra glass of water instead of pop. small changes really do lead to big changes
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    Options
    My very first goal was not to lose weight. I started here to prove to myself and anyone who cared that I could not lose weight.

I put my details into MFP. MFP gave me 1250 calories + exercise calories, and I read that most people only ate about half their exercise calories back.

So I stuck to that like glue. I wasn't having anyone saying that I didn't give it my absolute best shot, that I had somehow cheated or had gone into it half-heartedly.

For 10 days I was right. I didn't lose a gram. I figured I'd give it three weeks, and when I hadn't lost any weight, I'd chalk it up to perimenopause and getting older in general, and return to the way things were.

But on the 11th day I started losing weight, and by the time I hit the 3-week point, I had lost 3 kilograms. So I figured I might as well keep going.

My second goal was a blue waterproof-breathable cycling jacket. I had purchased one in 2011, and it fit me then. But over the years, it shrank :wink: ... still in great condition, just too small. So I looked into buying a new one, but the price had gone up quite a bit. So, since I was losing weight by then, I figured I might as well just keep going and lose enough so I could fit in the jacket again ... figured it would be a lot cheaper than buying a new jacket!!

It didn't take too long until I was into the jacket. :)
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    My first goal was to get off of blood pressure medicine, which I did. The second goal was to get down to 210 lbs., which I did. My next goal is to get down to 200 lbs. I'm also a competitive shooter, and I feel much more focused and don't tire as easily.
  • chesves
    chesves Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It could also be things like .... I'm going to meal plan my week, or I'm going to track everything consistently this week, or I'm going to take a 15 minute walk for 5 days this week, I'm going to try a new veggie this month, etc. I try to pick up one or two things consistently, and then try to up it after a few weeks rather than jumping all in and not being able to maintain it. :)
  • MurphmomSparkles
    MurphmomSparkles Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I love these ideas! I appreciate the responses.
  • RebeccaLansdown
    RebeccaLansdown Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Try to take the stairs every time instead of the elevator. Pick an exercise and do it for 30 days, adding reps/ weight in a reasonable pattern, get a water bottle with measurements on the side and tell yourself that every time an hour passes you will drink x amount of water from that bottle.