Thyroid malfunction??

Options
Does anyone else have Hypothyroid issues that is on medication and still have a hard time losing the weight or are you being successful at losing? Those who are successful at losing the weight, what are you doing, diet wise, to help you. I can't seem to find one that will work well for me. Thank you!!

Replies

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    There are both. I have been on thyroid medicine for over 10yrs and have had no problems losing just having a calorie deficit. If you're not losing and have an issue, ask your dr to test your T3 and T4, usually they only check one or the other.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Firstly, you need to get your levels into an acceptable range. Then, you need a calorie deficit. That's it.

I know for me i've lost weight before i was diagnosed AND after, and they both required a lot of hard work in the gym, consistency, time, and very accurate calorie counting.
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I have been hypothyroid for just over 28 years. I take levothyroxine, and my TSH is exactly at a level where my doctor is happy and I feel well. I started logging all my food and staying in deficit on December 21st, and I have lost over 28 pounds so far. Being hypothyroid is not a barrier to losing weight, in my experience.

You ask what, diet-wise, works--the answer is CICO. Works like a charm. Math is reliable like that. :)

Best of luck to you--but it has nothing to do with luck. I'm 53 years old, and had been sedentary for probably fifteen years. Now I'm active, slimmer, and I feel terrific.
  • chamberlain3
    chamberlain3 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's) and take Synthroid. I am 5 ft, 6 in. and currently 138 lbs. I lost over 20 lbs. over the past year by sticking to about 1,500 calories per day. If I go under 1,500, I tend to get very lethargic and light-headed. I don't follow a specific diet but I do try to incorporate a lot of whole foods, leafy greens, lean proteins, and complex carbs when possible. I eat three meals and two snacks per day. I realize losing half a pound a week on average isn't very exciting but it is what has worked best for me and seems most sustainable. Due to permanent damage to my pelvic bone and lower back, I am unable to do any high impact exercising but I try to walk on days when the pain is bearable and am now slowly incorporating swimming and other low impact exercises. I hope this helps. Good luck to you!
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Me too - thyroid problems for the last 28 years, on levothyroxine, dosages have been raised and lowered over the years, but no problem losing on CICO.
  • mzfrizz15
    mzfrizz15 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am hypothyroid, too. Once your TSH/T3/T4 levels are at where both you and your doctor are happy, just make sure you have a calorie deficit, you WILL lose weight.

For myself, I've being eating at or under my calorie allowance and have been doing walking and cycling for exercise. I've been moving away from processed food and on to a more plant-based diet. That being said, I still occasionally enjoy a bit of meat, just not deep fried anymore. :)
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I've been on 50 mcg of levothyroxizine since October and I'm down 36 lbs since August 30th. I exercise daily, always get 10,000 steps, and eat foods I love. I have a Fitbit so I just make sure my gross daily average in MFP is under my average daily TDEE and I lose. I went from a right size 14 jeans to now a size 8.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I lost nearly 40lbs despite being hypothyroid and not being on medication. It's all about calories in vs calories out. With being hypo your BMR might be just a bit lower, but that's not an excuse for not trying to lose weight. The reduction in BMR is so low, if present at all that you just need to eat a bit less than people who are not hypo. No issue. Thus basically weigh all your food on a digital food scale in grams, chose accurate data base entries and log every bit you eat. And I promise you that you will lose weight.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    I lost nearly 40lbs despite being hypothyroid and not being on medication. It's all about calories in vs calories out. With being hypo your BMR might be just a bit lower, but that's not an excuse for not trying to lose weight. The reduction in BMR is so low, if present at all that you just need to eat a bit less than people who are not hypo. No issue. Thus basically weigh all your food on a digital food scale in grams, chose accurate data base entries and log every bit you eat. And I promise you that you will lose weight.

i lost 25 pounds (and got to my goal weight) when i was hypo and unmedicated, so, agreed!