100 in 90 days

Options
So I saw a commercial for biggest loser. It was talking about a girl who the coach was pushing to lose 100 pounds in 90 days.
Maybe because of her age he thought that was healthy. I saw it and my eyes popped out! Even if she did lose that much it just does not sound at all healthy to me. I know about how yes, there might be some water weight. But I just am really concerned about that being a healthy thing for her.
What is your opinion? I know I read a study on people who lost weight. They found that people who lost the pounds slower were more likely to keep it off in the future.
Jac

Replies

• seasonalspice
    seasonalspice Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    They have to sign all kinds of waivers to get on that show and if you notice there is a high amount of injury on there too. They eat basically nothing all day and work out for several hours.

1-2 pounds a week is healthy.
  • DesertMirage
    DesertMirage Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I think that's insane! Why would you want to do that to yourself anyway?! It's torture for your body. I mean 1-2 lbs a week is fine. Thats almost 1-2 lbs a DAY. It's shows like that, that seriously mess people up.
  • amo62
    amo62 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think it is a great headline to draw people in, but seriously I have never stayed on a program this long(60 days) and my loss has only been 13lbs, but I can honestly say my relationship with food, eating and my health has changed immeasurably. Many people have told me the weight I lose steadily stays off, but I now know it stays off because I am in control of keeping it off. MFP has succeeded for me in a way no other diet/ regime has.
  • ItsTerriC
    ItsTerriC Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    That kind of weight loss gets viewers, which equals more advertising dollars. If you are morbidly obese, then I suppose it is possible, but only if you drastically cut your calories and work out for hours every day. That isn't realistic for most of us. I wonder what the after care program is for the participants. No one can maintain such an extensive program for the long haul. It would be so disheartening to work that hard to lose the weight only to gain it back through realistic living.
  • naesue
    naesue Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    It's not a sprint it is a marathon and if you want to win big at the finish line you have to keep a steady pace! You also need to make it a lifestyle change one that fits in with your life! If you lose too quickly doing things that wouldn't normally fit into your life then you aren't going to be able to maintain it when you are done losing! It's not a diet it is a lifestyle!
  • ImNotThatBob
    ImNotThatBob Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I'll advance an opinion on the other side of the Biggest Loser aisle.

In addition to the waivers they sign, they have a full-time medical team, dietitians and personal trainers supervising everything and everyone. They also have a controlled environment with balance, planned meals and get to spend almost all day, every day exercising for months on end.

We, on the other hand, have life to live, jobs, families, etc. and so should not expect to be able to lose weight at that pace. Their "job" is losing weight quickly. Ours is not a job, but a lifestyle. In the end, I don't think you have too much to worry about. After the show is over, and we've ALL lost weight, our "maintenance phase" is about the same. Only they're famous and probably travel more. LOL

As far as it being a bad influence, I went from downing a gallon of ice cream, several liters of soda and bags of family size chips while watching the Biggest Loser, to actually getting my butt out there and finding tools like mfp and endomondo to assist me in making a lifestyle change. In 13 weeks I have lost 30 lbs., 6 inches off my waist, and 2% body fat. All largely due to being inspired directly by The Biggest Loser. Not a stellar record, but not bad for me.

I really enjoy the camaraderie here at mfp. Here's to everyone achieving their goals in a safe and healthy manner. :drinker:
  • Kanohane
    Kanohane Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    So I saw a commercial for biggest loser. It was talking about a girl who the coach was pushing to lose 100 pounds in 90 days.
    Maybe because of her age he thought that was healthy. I saw it and my eyes popped out! Even if she did lose that much it just does not sound at all healthy to me. I know about how yes, there might be some water weight. But I just am really concerned about that being a healthy thing for her.
    What is your opinion? I know I read a study on people who lost weight. They found that people who lost the pounds slower were more likely to keep it off in the future.
    Jac
    Its possible ...they could just fast and since they're fat, they will be perfectly fine...and as far as those studies, they only go for "some" people, not all or even most...how fast you lose the weight has NOTHING to do with if you keep it off in the future.