1610 cals a day and I'm so hungry and miserable

Options
Hello,

I'm week one of my calorie reduction and I can honestly say I am so hungry and so miserable.

I lost a stone before Christmas and then came off track for a few months (kept the weight off though) and now back on it.

I'm rubbish with my diary, I do so many 'quick adds' So it's not worth opening up.

I eat loads and loads of vegetables, eggs, meat (so loads of protein), I eat carbs too (30g per meal as I'm type 1 diabetic and this gives me the best control). I eat healthy carbs, sweet potatoes etc.

I am just so hungry I can't begin to tell you, and I eat every single calorie I'm allowed!

Can anyone help? Will it get easier after a while? Is it true that my stomach will 'shrink'?!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary, so I don't know, but are you meeting your goals for fiber? Many people find that when they get sufficient fiber, it's easier to feel full.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    You will get used to smaller amounts of food. But it can also be that your weight loss goal is far too aggressive. What are your stats? Current weight, starting weight, height, weight, goal weight? And what calorie deficit are you on?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I'd do two things:

Change what you eat. Experiment. Some foods are more filling for their calories than others. Maybe you can find a way to stay within your 1,610 kCals and not feel as hungry. (Try things rich in protein, fat, and fiber?)

Exercise. You have a specific weight loss goal, a rate at which you plan to meet it, and a calorie deficit to aim for. Burning more calories with exercise lets you eat more without affecting your deficit, which means you'll lose weight at the same pace. (Of course, you need a good idea how many calories you're burning, and you'll have to eat no more than that number.) Do moderate exercise like a long walk because it won't make you as hungry as more intense exercise like a run.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How much fat do you eat?
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Agreed, you may want to start less aggressively if you're having issues maintaining. While we all want to lose 2lb/week, sometimes it just isn't the best option.
    There are a lot of people that when they start (and they're serious) that they find they're hungry - it's not surprising. We've listen to a lot of false signals about when we're hungry that we can be used to just eating whenever if 'feels' like it.
    Up the fiber intake, drink a lot of water (sometimes hunger is also dehydration), and reassess what is best for you.
  • wearmi1
    wearmi1 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Exercise so you get more calories to eat!
  • MissMonicaC4
    MissMonicaC4 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Konjac root... Also known as gluconnoman powder can expand a bit in your tummy to give you a sensation of being fullet until you become accustomed to smaller volumes of food. Brothy soups help too.
  • MalaikaInJapan
    MalaikaInJapan Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi Christina! First of all, it's going to take time. Be patient with yourself. Where did the number of 1610 come from? I really had to work to get down to my "ideal" caloric intake number. For me, the solution is lots of water and iced green tea with a little bit of lemon (lots of ice to dilute it). I drink as much water as possible, walk a lot and have a scheduled workout separate from my walk. That really helps me to stay focused. Also food timing is important. I eat half of my lunch before my workout and then the other half after my workout. This really helps me to not be hungry.

It may be helpful for you to give yourself a little bit of leeway in the beginning. Maybe 1610 isn't right for you quite yet. Maybe you have to work your way there. I had to make my way to 1250 from 1450+. There's a wonderful free podcast by the Body Do Over guys, Jon Schaefer and Matt Theirault. You can find it on iTunes. They talk a lot about food quality and food timing and morning habits to help you to lose weight. I have found their information to be incredibly helpful! They also have a wonderful nutritionist on, Kelly Leveque, who is amazing and really empowering, especially for women and our nutritional needs.

Log everything, even if it takes time, even if it's just a mouthful of something or a handful. I didn't realize that a mouthful of this and a handful of that was really adding up for me. Logging everything is worth it. It's a pain in the *kitten* but it really helps.

You got this. We're all in this together. Sending enthusiasm and good wishes!

Jennifer
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    What is your current height, weight, activity level and weight loss goal?
    If you have less than 50 lbs to lose then 1 lb a week is reasonable, 2 lbs per week is too aggressive. If you have less than 20 lbs to lose then a rate of .5 lbs a week may be best.
    Log everything you eat as accurately as you can. Get enough protein, fats and fiber.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Konjac root... Also known as gluconnoman powder can expand a bit in your tummy to give you a sensation of being fullet until you become accustomed to smaller volumes of food. Brothy soups help too.

Glucomannan is primarily used for constipation to keep in mind. :worried:
  • dkoffler
    dkoffler Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As highlighted above just walking 10,000 steps per day would allow you to eat an extra 400-600 calories per day so you end up being able to add in a little more variety (or something to look forward to) to your diet without impacting your rate of weight loss.

It doesn't have to be fast walking and if you have a smart phone there is probably an app that measures the numbers of steps - or you could buy a cheap pedometer or use something like a fitbit. It only takes 20 minutes to walk a mile (approx 2,000 steps) so getting off a bus stop or station early or walking rather than driving a short journey makes it easy to keep up with the 10,000 steps. The steps will also help improve your fitness and boost your metabolism so you burnt calories more easily.

Lots of people I know have ended up using a fitbit to lose weight by competing with friends or work colleagues. The fitbit app links directly to myfitnesspal showing the extra calories you have burnt from your steps or exercise.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,983 Member
    Options
    One week isn't very long. It will take some time. Try to find the foods that keep you full longer. For me that is protien and fiber. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water (especially if you increase your fiber). Get a food scale and try to make sure you are logging accurately. A food scale helps with those things that we tend to over estimate, but there are some things that you could be under estimating too. You don't really know how many calories you are eating if you aren't logging accurately.
  • karmelpopcorn
    karmelpopcorn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The pain and misery does end when your body adjusts. You are probably used to eating more sugar, and it is particularly difficult to break yourself away from the clutches of sugar.
  • christinasoonmrsnewton
    Options
    Oh thanks so much, you're all so helpful!

I'm 210 pounds and 5 ft 5.
    So I have quite a bit to lose :-(

I got the 1610 cals from this app, but maybe I could increase it and lose a bit slower (surely better if it's easier to maintain).

What sort of things contain lots of fibre?

That's a fab idea about more exercise and eating back some of the calories. I actually have a Fitbit that I had forgotten about!

I'll just check I haven't missed some of the other questions.

Thanks so much
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I have been dieting since around November last year and have lost 26 pounds. I'm about the same height and weight as you (now after my loss, lol) but I'm 59 years old. What I have found helps the most is lots of water (or calorie free drinks, not soda) and the less carb I eat the better. I am not on a low carb diet but when I eat a lot of refined flour it seems to make me much hungrier. Also MSG seems to turn hunger up, watch for it in snacks. Three meals a day is really important. Don't save all your calories for the end of the day or you will be ravenous. I am walking a little every day and that seems to calm my hunger. The other thing someone else mentioned was liquid. That was a big deal for me. I never used to drink water at all. I have changed that. It took a few months before my natural thirst came through. I had been supressing it for so long I didn't even realize I was thirsty. I am shooting for 1200 calories a day. Keep in mind I am very sedentary and older so I don't burn like some people do. I also have a low thyroid which doesn't help much. I would suggest losing 1 pound a week so that the diet is livable. Frankly losing fast never lasts. You need something you can live with because it's going to take a while to get to the weight you desire and also you want to keep it off. You can never go back to eating the way you used to so make this change something you can do for good. I have in the back of my mind that I will likely be on 1400 to 1500 calories a day for the rest of my life (yours could be much higher) so I am finding things I like to eat and strangely my tastes are very slowly starting to change. I know, I would never have believed it if someone told me that. And yes smaller portions really do satisfy me. That was tough to learn too. Now I find I can't eat nearly the quantity of food I used to. Last of all every couple of weeks if I've been doing well I give myself a little extra like maybe 300 or 400 calories for a day only and then I feel like I've reset my body to keep losing. I might go out for lunch with a friend or something like that. Might be silly but for now it seems to be working. Good luck and don't give up. If you have to go up a couple hundred calories for now do it but keep journalling the food it really does help. Keeps you honest, lol.
  • Chaagy
    Chaagy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    IT GETS BETTER!! :smile:

There are some who say, if you do it right, and eat the right foods, you shouldn't be hungry. WELL, BOLLOCKS to those *kitten*, I say. I would like to whip them with a wet noodle! :wink:

It does get better, and there are certainly foods that keep you fuller longer, which you will need to discover what works on your own (but generally, lots of vegetables, protein, high fibre foods), but I think the biggest thing is adjusting to the feeling of feeling satisfied... rather than full. I used to always eat until I was full (sometimes stuffed!!), so when I began in my first week, the feeling of satisfied, never really felt like full. In truth, it feels like ravenous, rage-filled, zombie-hunger (for cheeseburgers though, not brains)!!

Satisfied means, I've eaten something, and the hunger edge is off... but in truth, I could eat double or triple what I just ate and only then I might be full.

Going to bed hungry was the strangest of feelings to me. And that first couple of weeks, it's frustrating. I wanted so badly to go stuff my face. Some nights, you want to just break down.. give in. You want to mash a cheeseburger (or insert your food) into your mouth, and go to sleep happily gurgling on meat, cheese, and bread... and bacon... and another slice of cheese...

But the more you keep on track, the more you eat healthy, and do what you need to do, the more you will get used to it. Feeling just satisfied... it doesn't always continue feel like ravenous hunger. I know I could still eat a lot more at each meal, but I'm ok with this new feeling - it's not killing me, and I've lost 30lbs in about 3 months now. I don't often get to feel full or stuffed, but I sometimes do. When I'm mindful about allowing myself those moments (for me, they don't happen often, but celebration dinners need to be celebrated sometimes, and the MFP log is my tool, not my master!)

Good luck. Keep at it.
  • Chaagy
    Chaagy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Oh man... it changed b**tards to *kitten*... I don't want to whip kittens. I like them.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,915 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hello,

I'm week one of my calorie reduction and I can honestly say I am so hungry and so miserable.

I lost a stone before Christmas and then came off track for a few months (kept the weight off though) and now back on it.

I'm rubbish with my diary, I do so many 'quick adds' So it's not worth opening up.

I eat loads and loads of vegetables, eggs, meat (so loads of protein), I eat carbs too (30g per meal as I'm type 1 diabetic and this gives me the best control). I eat healthy carbs, sweet potatoes etc.

I am just so hungry I can't begin to tell you, and I eat every single calorie I'm allowed!

Can anyone help? Will it get easier after a while? Is it true that my stomach will 'shrink'?!

I suggest you get better with your diary - you may be actually eating less than 1610 calories and that's why you're miserable.

At your height and weight and not exercising much, if you are truly eating loads of veggies and protein, you shouldn't be miserable. Oh, but what about fat? Are you getting enough of that?
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    PORRIDGE is my saviour I'd be really hungry if I never ate it like today I haven't & im hungry I'm on 1300 a day with 70lbs left to lose
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Also ask yourself if you're truly hungry. Is it hunger or is it boredom, habit, thirst, foodtastingreallyreallygood, emotional eating, etc...? 1610 sounds like a reasonable goal that shouldn't leave you famished if you're eating a lot of fiber (vegetables) and protein.

Your stomach doesn't shrink, but I think after awhile a lot of people get used to eating less. A lot of it is probably in your head.