Heart attack surviver at 42 years old!!!!

Options
I'm 42 years old and had a heart attack 3 months ago. Angioplasty done and 2 stents placed 2 months ago. I am now trying to Chang my life so I can stick around to see my grandson and future grandchildren grow up. I quit smoking after being a 2 pack a day smoker for 20 years. I joined a gym and have been there everyday for 2 weeks now. I walk the treadmill because I haven't been released to really do anything else from my doctor. I stopped drinking soda and now only drink water sometimes with flavor packets. I also have a lower lumbar fusion , so some of the normal workout routines will not be available to me . Please I need help to stay on the right track as this is life or death for me!!

Replies

• Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    WOW - I'm glad youve made it through all of that! You'll definitely want to do a heart healthy diet and like @Kkallisti said a dietitian will be the best to really help with that. Here is a good start though

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/Nutrition/The-American-Heart-Associations-Diet-and-Lifestyle-Recommendations_UCM_305855_Article.jsp#.Vw6BNvkrJpg

I follow this for the most part, I have a hard time getting sodium down though. My good cholesterol is really low and triglycerides were crazy high the last time I was at the docs office so I am trying to fix that.

• nate82873
    nate82873 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Kkallisti wrote: »
    For one thing, congratulations on taking the first steps! They're absolutely the hardest.

What kind of help do you need? I would personally recommend asking your heart doctor to recommend you to a licensed dietitian (not a nutritionist, they're just unlicensed dietitians) so that you can begin working on a longterm change in lifestyle aimed at your relationship with food. Have a sit-down session with your new dietitian and tell him/her everything, no holds barred, about your eating habits, preferences, food allergies, etc. That way they can cross-reference this information with your medical history and the two of you can build a meal plan. If you experience extreme mental strife (anxiety, depression, etc) or disordered eating now or in the future, please book an appointment with a therapist. There are TONS who specialize in the mental side of weight-related issues, and they can help you.

Oh, also, listen to your docs over the people on this site. The MFP community is well-meaning and bursting at the seams with moral support, but your doctors are closest to the issue.

If you're trying to lose weight, it's done in the kitchen! The gym is for overall fitness and stamina, but taking on a healthy moderated diet is what will shed pounds and give you the strength to take on more productive workouts when your heart allows. Good luck!

• nate82873
    Options
    Thank you so much for the information . What I truly need is someone to check up on me and keep my motivation up! I am working with a dietitian that my doc hooked me up with, but really didn't think about a therapist .
  • nate82873
    Options
    WOW - I'm glad youve made it through all of that! You'll definitely want to do a heart healthy diet and like @Kkallisti said a dietitian will be the best to really help with that. Here is a good start though

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/Nutrition/The-American-Heart-Associations-Diet-and-Lifestyle-Recommendations_UCM_305855_Article.jsp#.Vw6BNvkrJpg

I follow this for the most part, I have a hard time getting sodium down though. My good cholesterol is really low and triglycerides were crazy high the last time I was at the docs office so I am trying to fix that.

• nate82873
    Options
    Thanks for the info . Watch out for the triglycerides , that is what got me in my situation .
    That and being lazy!!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Hi there!sorry youve been through alot!the good news is that your here now though!☺
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Kkallisti wrote: »
    For one thing, congratulations on taking the first steps! They're absolutely the hardest.

What kind of help do you need? I would personally recommend asking your heart doctor to recommend you to a licensed dietitian (not a nutritionist, they're just unlicensed dietitians) so that you can begin working on a longterm change in lifestyle aimed at your relationship with food. Have a sit-down session with your new dietitian and tell him/her everything, no holds barred, about your eating habits, preferences, food allergies, etc. That way they can cross-reference this information with your medical history and the two of you can build a meal plan. If you experience extreme mental strife (anxiety, depression, etc) or disordered eating now or in the future, please book an appointment with a therapist. There are TONS who specialize in the mental side of weight-related issues, and they can help you.

Oh, also, listen to your docs over the people on this site. The MFP community is well-meaning and bursting at the seams with moral support, but your doctors are closest to the issue.

If you're trying to lose weight, it's done in the kitchen! The gym is for overall fitness and stamina, but taking on a healthy moderated diet is what will shed pounds and give you the strength to take on more productive workouts when your heart allows. Good luck!

All of this. Every word.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    @nate82873 thanks for sharing your story and welcome to MFP forums. My wake up call two years ago while different than yours left me with the full understanding I was headed for a premature death if I did not change.

Below is a story I thought shows hope. Best of success working back to full health.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2900982/

• mommybehealthy
    mommybehealthy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You've definitely taken some major steps toward a really great change!
  • Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    nate82873 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info . Watch out for the triglycerides , that is what got me in my situation .
    That and being lazy!!

The threat of medication got me going again. She gave me about 3 months to see if I could improve the numbers, if not I was going on meds. So I started calorie counting, watching fat especially saturated and trans, and started taking fish oil for the omega3s. I've had some weightwatchers ice cream and beer lately but not crazy amounts like I am prone to LOL. My follow up is May 2
  • nate82873
    Options
    Good luck