Anyone else struggle with an appetite at Breakfast?

Options
I've had a lifelong battle with breakfast. I totally believe in it and see the value of it but I never feel hungry in the mornings (generally not until lunchtime). I find even if I go to bed hungry I'll wake up feeling as if I've just eaten a large meal.

It used to be I wouldn't eat anything until about 3 hours after I woke up but I'm now managing to eat an apple and maybe a little yoghurt or sometimes a hard boiled egg. I generally only have about 40-60 minutes from waking until leaving for work in the morning so I can't really afford to wait for my body to wake up more.

I was wondering if anyone else has the same problem and how you deal with it? I wonder if it's just a case of training your body to have an appetite then and if I force myself to eat regularly if that will help.

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's necessarily a problem. Just get your nutrition in later in the day.
  • bigskinner
    bigskinner Posts: 42
    Options
    I've had a lifelong battle with breakfast. I totally believe in it and see the value of it but I never feel hungry in the mornings (generally not until lunchtime). I find even if I go to bed hungry I'll wake up feeling as if I've just eaten a large meal.

It used to be I wouldn't eat anything until about 3 hours after I woke up but I'm now managing to eat an apple and maybe a little yoghurt or sometimes a hard boiled egg. I generally only have about 40-60 minutes from waking until leaving for work in the morning so I can't really afford to wait for my body to wake up more.

I was wondering if anyone else has the same problem and how you deal with it? I wonder if it's just a case of training your body to have an appetite then and if I force myself to eat regularly if that will help.

hi my wife does not eat a breakfast and i always moan at her to eat something. i also had the same problem along time ago. i went to weightwatchers and the lady there, bollocked me into eating breakfasts. she advised what to eat and what not to eat.

i mainly eat bran flakes 120g and a small banana with milk. i cycle to work everyday, and i need something near enough straight away or i get severe hunger pains.
    At the start of weightwatchers, for the first week at least with eating breakfasts when i didnt before i was sick most mornings, but i tried to vary it thereafter. for example boiled eggs on toast, fruit, muller light yoghurts and cereals.

start small and end up putting your stomach into a routine of eating in the morning, hope this helps!!
  • CindyWho4
    CindyWho4 Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks for posting about this! I have this problem, too. I was doing really well for, like, a week lol. It IS a problem for me, because I'm having trouble eating enough to make up for it later. I'm having trouble eating enough calories even if I do eat breakfast. Basically all my issues come down to really horrible eating habits, and skipping breakfast is a big one.
  • Claire739
    Claire739 Posts: 114
    Options
    i have the same sort of problem, i find i cant eat for a couple of hours after i get up and not till after ive worked out in the morning otherwise i feel sick
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    i used to skip breakfast as i worked really silly shifts and didnt fancy eating at 5.30am! but i always used to eat rubbish by the time i got to have a break at 9pm!
    since ive started mfp in jan, i forced myself to eat breakfast and im more energetic and feel full until its time for lunch. why dont you try small amounts of cereal with milk and some juice maybe? or yoghurt and some fruit? work your way into it. trust me you will feel better for it! im now a converted breakfast eater! lol. if there is such a thing!
  • purplepollypops
    purplepollypops Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I am exactly the same. I get up at 6.20am and get to work for 7am but I don't have anything to eat or drink until I get to work and then I'll have some water or a cup of green tea when I get in and then I probably won't eat anything until around 8am which is usually a banana and some other fruit. I find that if I do have a "proper" breakfast then it just makes me feel like snacking all day long. The longer I can put off my first meal the better for me.
    :smile:
    Px
  • jalapenos
    jalapenos Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I never feel hungry in the morning. BUT the weird thing is if you take me to a breakfast place, I can eat a simple 2egg/sausage/toast breakfast but then I will feel soooo full that I won't eat until dinner. I'm am trying to eat an apple or something , maybe even an egg but I can wake up at 6 and not eat until lunch and be fine with it. I guess we both need to try to fuel ourselves in the morning and start with small things and work from there. Best of luck to you.:drinker:
  • michelleion
    michelleion Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I never used to be able to stomach breakfast in the mornings and used to skip it, but felt crappy later on. I don't know what changed, maybe switching to be more of a 'grazer', eating smaller portions regularly throughout the day, but I really look forward to my breakfast now :)
  • Innerhope
    Innerhope Posts: 4
    Options
    I had this problem years ago. I dealt with it by gradually building up from tiny amounts. Most people will find they can manage a couple of bites to eat with a cup of tea, for example. Now I have a lot of my calories for breakfast.

The bottom line is, if you DON'T eat at breakfast you will not lose as much weight, plus you will not be running on maximum energy levels for the morning, then you will probably binge later!

Do try - it's really not good to be going around wit low vlood sugar levels as you start your day...
  • livi_cowgirl
    livi_cowgirl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    This is a very common problem. Unfortunately, the only way round it is to keep forcing yourself to eat in the mornings and eventually your body will get used to it.
  • mars_bar
    mars_bar Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have not eaten a "proper" breakfast in years until a month ago. Usually my problem is that I don't feel hungry, or by the time Ive woken up breakfast is actually lunch. This past month though I have managed to eat a banana morning / or when I wake up, and the result is fantastic! A banana typically will be about 100 calories, and it has some nutrients not many but enough for me to feel energized and full till 2pm ish. It will not work for everyone is what ive read.

I started this diet because a friend recommended it to me. It's the japanese banana diet. It promotes regular bowel movements.

The plus is that by only consuming 100-200 ( 1 or 2 bananas) in the morning , I am able to eat more delicious meals for lunch and dinner!
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options

There is zero benefit from eating breakfast. It's not necessary.

Consider intermittent fasting if you like. There is a support group thread roaming around here somewhere, or you can visit leangains.com for more information - he posts empirical evidence for all his claims.

Basically you eat all your calories in an 8 hour window every day. It's perfectly healthy and is great for people who don't prefer breakfast.
  • coxy1968
    coxy1968 Posts: 77
    Options
    bump
  • katnz17
    katnz17 Posts: 45
    Options

Consider intermittent fasting if you like. There is a support group thread roaming around here somewhere, or you can visit leangains.com for more information - he posts empirical evidence for all his claims.

Basically you eat all your calories in an 8 hour window every day. It's perfectly healthy and is great for people who don't prefer breakfast.

That's interesting. I probably do eat in an eight hour window as I'm only really hungry after work. However I really lack energy in the mornings and wanted to eat breakfast in the hope that it would give me an earleir boost.
    There is zero benefit from eating breakfast. It's not necessary.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    It takes me 3 hours to feel hungry after I wake up unless I wake up my stomach with a coffee or a handful of nuts or something, then I get hungry half an hour or so later.
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I've always struggled with this is as well, but I've read so much that says how important eating breakfast is for weight loss, that I just can't ignore all the information. One of the recent things I read was to have a piece of fruit within 20 minutes of getting up. I choose something small, like a peach or a couple of strawberries or a few grapes. Then, within the next hour have your main meal, again keeping it light and nutritious. I think each person has to figure out what foods they can handle in the mornings, but, based on a lot of the information out there, everyone SHOULD eat something.

Here are some of the more reputable sites:

http://nutrition.about.com/od/nutrition101/a/breakfast.htm

http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/nutrition_news_information/should_you_eat_breakfast_even
    _when_youre_not_hungry

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/lose-weight-eat-breakfast

Good luck! :flowerforyou: