❓BMR for Obese/Overweight?❓

Options
echohwa
echohwa Posts: 15 Member
edited April 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
How is the BMR calculated for an individual who is either obese or overweight? I am 5'8" and 289 lbs ;) , so you can assume 50-54% bodyfat. Tyia. :D

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    MFP calculates your BMR for you. On desktop version you can go to APPS > BMR and put your stats in.
  • echohwa
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    MFP calculates your BMR for you.

I did that, but if I ate at or near the recommended caloric intake for maintainance, I will and have gained weight.
  • ThermoDust
    ThermoDust Posts: 33 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_bmi/english_bmi_calculator/bmi_calculator.html

Also, https://livelighter.com.au/Tools-and-Resources/ - https://livelighter.com.au/The-Facts/Am-I-at-Risk - I think this is sponsored by the Australian government but I found a lot of the information to be nice. And they have food guides!
  • echohwa
    Options
    Villae81 wrote: »
    Google bmr calculator

I did, but it doesn't take into account bodyfat/obesity.
  • echohwa
    Options
    ThermoDust wrote: »

I appreciate the link, but it doesn't take into account being overweight or obese. :(
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to know your BMR?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    echohwa wrote: »

I did that, but if I ate at or near the recommended caloric intake for maintainance, I will and have gained weight.

That's impossible.

BMR is the amount of calories you'd need if you were in a coma. Your maintenance (TDEE) is what you take your deficit from.

If you're gaining weight eating below your TDEE, you're either not eating how much you think you are (ie, logging accurately, weighing your food etc) or have a medical condition that requires attention.

How long are you eating the calories you're set to? You should give it 4-6 weeks of no change (or gaining in this case) before changing things. If you're only giving it 1-2 weeks, you're not getting enough data to determine anything. THere's all sorts of things that are going to influence your weight, exercise, sodium, carbs, ovulation, period, etc. ALl of those will cause temporary weight gain.
  • ThermoDust
    ThermoDust Posts: 33 Member
    Options

I appreciate the link, but it doesn't take into account being overweight or obese. :(

I updated my post as I forgot one website that I liked. check them out.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Looks like you have a BMI of 43.9, TDEE of around 2400 (sedentary), BMR of 2000 ish. I am guessing since I don't know your age. You should lose on 2000 calories, since you aren't in a coma.
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    You can use the equations and figure it out for yourself:

BMR = 66 + ( 6.2 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) – ( 6.76 x age in years )

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Why do you need to know your BMR?

The first time I counted calories and lost a bunch of weight, I used a spreadsheet, if MFP was around back then I didn't know about it.

My exercise is hugely variable. Most days I bike a lot, but there are others that I can't for whatever reason. I think it was more erratic back then than it is now. I didn't trust the idea of a weekly average or somebody else's activity levels, they weren't a good fit for me. So my goal was BMR as best estimated + daily chores as best estimated + exercise calories, actuals for the day. Then I'd log my food calories and stay under that goal. It worked, and I lost weight at the rate my spreadsheet predicted (which is weird because I over-estimated my exercise back then). It was cumbersome but a good learning experience.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options

How did it not? It provided a chart including Overweight and Obese.
    Below 18.5 Underweight
    18.5—24.9 Normal
    25.0—29.9 Overweight
    30.0 and Above Obese
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Your BMR isn't maintenance...your BMR is the calories you burn merely existing...I assume you're not in a coma, so your maintenance calories are going to be higher than that.

My BMR is 1800 calories...I lose about 1 Lb per week eating 2300-2500 calories...because my maintenance is around 2800 - 3000 calories
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Google the Katch - McCardle equation which uses %BF and is less deceived by large body weight
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options

So just eat less than that? An online calculator is going to use models regressed from large population data sets and is never going to be more accurate than the actual data you've collected about your own body.