How not to blow your knees on the treadmill?

Options
ydyms
ydyms Posts: 266 Member
How can I preserve my knees while running on the treadmill? My knees unused to really hurt until I took a year break. I'm starting again and don't want it to happen again.
Thx!

Replies

• pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Strength train, run in shoes that fit you well, and don't increase your distance, frequency, or intensity too quickly. Most knee pain from running is associated with muscle imbalances or increasing mileage too quickly. If you have knee pain or have specific concerns about your knees then an orthopedist is who you want to make an appointment with so that you can address the pain.
  • MelissaLimeKiwi
    MelissaLimeKiwi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    People get heel pain if their calves are too tight and back pain if their hamstrings are too tight. Must be a corresponding issue for knee pain. Make total body stretching a priority everyday at the end of your workout.
  • bac609
    bac609 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    On some treadmills you can adjust the deck so that it is a bit softer.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Get a proper running shoe for you - go to a running store and have them analyze your gait.

Start out SLOW, in speed and distance.

Cross-train.

• firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Not sure where but I read that you shouldn't just run at a single speed and incline but much as if you were outside change things up a bit during the run/walk.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    bac609 wrote: »
    On some treadmills you can adjust the deck so that it is a bit softer.

Which means your knee ligaments actually work more (but receive less impact force) because of stabilisation shifts.
    Extensive running on a deck that is too soft is an invitation to joint issues.

Identify your specific issues - they can range from weight, flexibility, mobility, mechanics of gait, leg biomechanics, muscular balance, shoes, etc... Without that, advice is general and not so useful.

However, general advice:
    - build up volume and distance slowly, take breaks (don't run every day).
    - stretch afterwards
    - roll your legs - particularly IT area and calves
    - strength train - lunges, raises, squats, etc.
    - practice a different sport once a week to work muscles in a different manner to reduce imbalances.
    - mix with outside running, strengthens neuro-joint signalling differently.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Don't run on the treadmill. I only used the treadmill during the winter when there was a wind-chill. Rain, snow, etc, I run on the street. The treadmill really bother's my knees, but not the street and trails.

When I run on the treadmill, I never run on 0% incline, the shorter the run the higher the incline, up to 3.5% for a 2-3 mile run. Anything longer than 3 miles I go to 1-1.5%.
  • ydyms
    Options
    Why incline?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The incline can help by changing the angle of your gait. Try it and see if it works.

I'd do intervals: run for five, walk for one. Treat running like weight reps for your legs.

Better shoes.

Stretches before and after.

I suggest series if squats daily to strengthen the muscles and ligaments around your knees.

Anyways, try a bunch of things and keep with the ones that work.
  • ydyms
    Options
    Thank u!
    Which running shoes are recommended? I currently have New Balance but I don't feel like they're the best