Options
2»

Replies

• twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    100df wrote: »
    It just makes me think that these people must be insecure to hide things like this. We all struggle and different things work for different people. To have had surgery but claim to accomplish it all without it makes me think they might be concerned about what people will think of them if they knew the truth. People are super judgmental so I can understand it to a degree.

People are extremely judgmental about weight loss surgery. They say it's the easy way out. They don't understand that it's a tool just as counting calories is. You still have to eat at a deficit after surgery. I had the surgery I would be quiet about it. But then I quiet about all things related to weight. Talking about my weight whether up or down is uncomfortable to me.

Well said. This was going to be my response. I did not have weight loss surgery but I know it's not a magic trick that makes you instantly thinner. You still have to diet and exercise.

Honestly I would put 'Braggy Brenda' on ignore and if that's not possible then change the subject when she brings it up. But don't judge her to harshly for the surgery. She still worked for it.
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Fit4LifeAR Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm not judging her at all for the surgery....at all. I do get upset when she makes comments about people not losing weight fast enough, when she used the weight loss surgery to help. You can't expect the same results if you are losing weight on your own, at 1 pound a week. It is comparing apples to oranges.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    It seems pretty understandable to me to be frustrated at people that have had help but somehow criticize other people's slower success.

But then, this is the American dream, right? We criticize people for not pulling themselves up by their own boostraps. Some of those criticizers inherited money from their parents.
  • PrincessK90210
    PrincessK90210 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    100df wrote: »
    It just makes me think that these people must be insecure to hide things like this. We all struggle and different things work for different people. To have had surgery but claim to accomplish it all without it makes me think they might be concerned about what people will think of them if they knew the truth. People are super judgmental so I can understand it to a degree.

People are extremely judgmental about weight loss surgery. They say it's the easy way out. They don't understand that it's a tool just as counting calories is. You still have to eat at a deficit after surgery. I had the surgery I would be quiet about it. But then I quiet about all things related to weight. Talking about my weight whether up or down is uncomfortable to me.

I agree. Weight loss surgery is something that isn't supposed to take the place of weight loss. you have to work on it. See my 600 lbs life. The surgery helps, but they need to put the effort in. a lot of people do judge it, so it's not that easy to tell people.