Fiber and Protein

Options
I am trying to pay close attention to getting enough protein so that I can gain, or at least maintain my muscle mass. However I also want to meet my fiber goals since I found it helps keep me full and, overall health because of colon cancer in my family. On my calorie amount, I find it difficult to meet both my protein goal and my fiber goal. Seems most foods have one or the other, not both. Anyone else run into this issue? Suggestions for both? (I know beans, which I do eat, but a girl can only eat so many beans, ha). Or perhaps one day more protein heavy and another day more fiber?

Replies

• _qO_op_
    _qO_op_ Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    How all have you tried eating beans? There are tons of ways to sneak them into your diet besides just rice & beans. You can make veggie burgers out of them, "meat" balls and loafs, soups, I've been known to take an immersion blender and a can of beans to batches of pasta sauce as both a thickener and nutritional booster or one of my favorites: beans, nuts and dates in a food processor until you get a stiff dough then roll those up in balls to eat as cookies.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Edemame noodles are high in fiber (11g) and protein (24g) and at least it doesn't look like a bean :)
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You should be able to easily meet both goals within 600-800 calories. That should leave you plenty of wiggle room for fats and other carb sources.

But, as for your question, try flax meal, chia seeds (I like to grind them to get rid of the slimy texture), coconut flour, and almond meal. Try these mixed in to yogurt, oatmeal, shakes, baked goods, pancake batter, meatloaf/meatballs, as a coating for baked chicken, etc. The possibilities are endless! All of those can be whipped into delish desserts as well. Pinterest away! :)
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I wouldnt have thought of most of these things myself, I currently get most of my protein from eggs, dairy, chicken, fish. Are things like chia seeds, edamame, etc expensive? We do have a strict grocery budget.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you're at, but stores like Aldi, Save a Lot, or even online stores usually have those on the cheap. And the serving size is only a couple tablespoons so it goes far.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I make a drink everyday containing Protein powder and psyllium husk, add hot water and milk and blend using a hand immersion blender. It's a thick chocolaty drink, with fibre and protein :+1:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I am trying to pay close attention to getting enough protein so that I can gain, or at least maintain my muscle mass. However I also want to meet my fiber goals since I found it helps keep me full and, overall health because of colon cancer in my family. On my calorie amount, I find it difficult to meet both my protein goal and my fiber goal. Seems most foods have one or the other, not both. Anyone else run into this issue? Suggestions for both? (I know beans, which I do eat, but a girl can only eat so many beans, ha). Or perhaps one day more protein heavy and another day more fiber?

Eat lots of veg as a side with your meat, poultry, or fish. Eat some whole grains and legumes. Oats are a great source of fiber and have a good bit of protein as well for a veg option. I often have a 4 egg white omelet with oats and peanut butter for breakfast...it's a breakfast that is both high in protein and fiber.
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    How all have you tried eating beans? There are tons of ways to sneak them into your diet besides just rice & beans. You can make veggie burgers out of them, "meat" balls and loafs, soups, I've been known to take an immersion blender and a can of beans to batches of pasta sauce as both a thickener and nutritional booster or one of my favorites: beans, nuts and dates in a food processor until you get a stiff dough then roll those up in balls to eat as cookies.

Beans in the form of humus and felafels are easy to slip into your diet particularly humus used as a spread instead of say butter.

Hard to find good felafel much better homemade and taste great with tahini and lemon sauce. It's very easy to make your own humusa nd cheaper.

Oat bran is very high in soluble fibre and good in protein with lots of nutrients- better than rolled oat/oat meal.

Lentils are very good also. Goes well in soups etc plus cheap and quick to cook particular red lentils.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    No. I ate 1300 calories today with 38 g of fiber and 125 g of protein. It was pretty easy. You can look at my diary if you want. I do use protein powder but it's mostly because I like it.
  • 6pkdreamer
    Options
    Rice Bran Cereal is another option I recently discovered. Nice just to munch on its own as a snack or for breakfast with fruit etc
  • DonaldCriola
    DonaldCriola Posts: 19 Member
    Options

Are green vegetables such as spinach broccoli cauliflower zucchini asparagus are all considered free calorie food because your body will burn off more calories digesting it then it will absorb and these foods are also high in fiber so they don't count as carbs. I'm prepping right now for a classic physique competition in my car has me on a very low carb diet but I'm allowed to eat as much of these veggies as I want because the Bible or just help me poop more LOL.
  • arditarose
    Options

Are green vegetables such as spinach broccoli cauliflower zucchini asparagus are all considered free calorie food because your body will burn off more calories digesting it then it will absorb and these foods are also high in fiber so they don't count as carbs. I'm prepping right now for a classic physique competition in my car has me on a very low carb diet but I'm allowed to eat as much of these veggies as I want because the Bible or just help me poop more LOL.

They are not "free calorie" but you can deduct the fiber to get your net carbs.
  • Christine_72
    Options

No food is free. Everything you eat has calories.. Your body still counts it all, even if you dont.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Not a problem for me...calories, fiber, protein are the only things I really look at. I make sure to hit them,
  • 6pkdreamer
    Options
    Not a problem for me...calories, fiber, protein are the only things I really look at. I make sure to hit them,

Thats good but doesn't address her problem- needs more detail.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Calories, protein, and fiber are the big three I pay attention to (everything else works itself out). Feel free to look at my diary. I made a big batch of split pea soup and it has a crazy amount of fiber. So much that I've actually had to mindfully eat less fiber at other meals.

I eat veggies and fruit of course. Blackberries have a lot of fiber for a small amount of calories.

I also eat pasta enriched with fiber for a big boost.

Sweet potatoes along with my protein are a favorite meal ( scrambled eggs or whatever meat I've cooked).
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    6pkdreamer wrote: »

Thats good but doesn't address her problem- needs more detail.

Just have to play around with different things. diary is open.

• 6pkdreamer
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I wouldnt have thought of most of these things myself, I currently get most of my protein from eggs, dairy, chicken, fish. Are things like chia seeds, edamame, etc expensive? We do have a strict grocery budget.

Dried beans/pulses are very cheap and available from our local fruit market store. Edamame beans, oat bran in frozen form chia seeds all from supermarket.
    You will generally way ahead in your budget with these items over the standard items like fish etc. Chia seeds are probably the most expensive- just use a small quantity.
    This all available in Australia. USA has more of everything ???? Well I now the rice bran cereal is imported from USA- should be cheaper in USA!
  • Christine_72
    Options
    chia seeds are very expensive here. I pay $15 for 500g at my grocery store. I use them sparingly.
  • arditarose
    Options
    You also don't need any dang chia seeds to meet your fiber needs.