At What Mile Do You Bonk?

Options

Replies

• catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    and another English person wondering why you count miles before bonking! And I know a fair few people who do use the term. "bonking like bunnies" is something (older) teenager friends of my kids put on their face book walls...maybe its more a Midlands thing
  • granmalaura
    granmalaura Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree in uk definately different meaning. I wouldn't have the energy if I had run 7 miles.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    Sorry Suzy - another UK person here. It is not just used by children, it is quite a common term of reference for 'having sex' and certainly every UK person knows what 'bonking' means. We do love the way the colonials use our language - but let's also remember you whopped our behind in the 1770s. I wonder how many calories are used up fighting? More than bonking?

Puts a whole new meaning on "Make love, not war".:laugh:

well im from the UK too, but as a runner, i knew what she meant. Bit annoying for everyone to derail the thread.
  • samntim
    samntim Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hee hee - means the same in Australia too!!

I thought the post was about at what stage of weight loss people started having sex, nookie, bonking, special cuddles, naughties...

Just have to get myself off the floor.. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :blushing: :blushing: :blushing:

Good luck with your, um, running :bigsmile:
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    as an american, Bonk meant sex to me as well...

so yes it is a funny thread to read :)
  • Kittyfeliz
    Kittyfeliz Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm from the US and still raised an eye brow at the title, lol! This is my new term now!! I generally "bonk" three quarters through the run but I never get that second burst of energy everyone else is talking about. I must be doing something wrong!!
  • Majbdrake
    Majbdrake Posts: 69
    Options
    Sorry Suzy - another UK person here. It is not just used by children, it is quite a common term of reference for 'having sex' and certainly every UK person knows what 'bonking' means. We do love the way the colonials use our language - but let's also remember you whopped our behind in the 1770s. I wonder how many calories are used up fighting? More than bonking?

Puts a whole new meaning on "Make love, not war".:laugh:

Aargh!!! Bringing history into this...You also almost whupped our heinies in 1812 (You did burn Washington DC after the Battle of Bladensburg!). Thankfully, Napoleon got your attention and gave us some briefing room to fight into a truce, which we in America call a win for our side although our biggest victory (Battle of New Orleans) came after the Peace Treaty was officially signed (The power of a good Andrew Jackson political campaign for Presidency shortly afterwards...)

So back to bonking...Our countries are a shared culture divided by a common language!!!

Bruce
  • sgha
    sgha Posts: 225
    Options
    Hi, just wondering if maybe you are taking off too fast. Maybe use the first mile or so for a warm-up, and then get into your rhythm. I'm thinking, also, that as you get stronger, bonking may not happen as much. Remember to take rest days to recoup.. Good magazine? Rnner's World. Just a suggestion. Most importantly - HAVE FUN. :happy: :laugh:
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I read runners world for the articles, not just the pictures
  • Soziberry
    Soziberry Posts: 115
    Options
    Lol I want to see how many calories burned from bonking and a selection of bonks - slow and loving, mid paced with a few positions and mental with end resulting in the same feeling of doing a level 3 shred lol
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I believe "bonking" as referred to in cycling is hypoglycemia. Hit me once during a long bike ride and is prevented by eating high carb snacks, etc. I drank a bottle of Gatorade on each ride and it never happened again!
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    the other day i did 11miles, and for the last two miles i felt really lightheaded and with a feeling that i was really running on empty. It wasnt pleasant.
    I managed to make it home luckily before collapsing in a bit of a state. I wonder if taking something like jellybeans or something might be an idea today
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    the other day i did 11miles, and for the last two miles i felt really lightheaded and with a feeling that i was really running on empty. It wasnt pleasant.
    I managed to make it home luckily before collapsing in a bit of a state. I wonder if taking something like jellybeans or something might be an idea today

Yeh, I think so. Esp. if you are away from home. They wouldn't be filling enough to bog you down but give you the carbo boost you need. Excellent idea.
  • Ley2ndtry
    Ley2ndtry Posts: 136
    Options
    sorry but this thread has me in total stitches ha ha ha ha!

needless to say i'm from uk :laugh: and feeling like a kid again now :laugh:

anyway back to the actual question for me its about mile 1 LOL i'm a new runner!
  • Arkay
    Arkay Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm glad it's making people laugh. After all - laughing is a really good exercise both physically and mentally. I wonder how many calories it burns?

Let's all burn some more.

"Did you hear about the man who lived in a tyre? He had a puncture, so now he lives in a flat!":laugh:
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    sorry but this thread has me in total stitches ha ha ha ha!

needless to say i'm from uk :laugh: and feeling like a kid again now :laugh:

anyway back to the actual question for me its about mile 1 LOL i'm a new runner!

I'm not from the UK, but it still had me snickering. My morning runs are just not going to be the same now. LOL

As for the original question, I don't know. I don't think I've "bonked" while running yet. At least not in about 20 years. (Now I'm snickering again!) I just started running again via C25K and haven't yet hit a wall.
  • Ley2ndtry
    Ley2ndtry Posts: 136
    Options
    I
    "Did you hear about the man who lived in a tyre? He had a puncture, so now he lives in a flat!":laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: love this joke!
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I have never run great distances (4.5 miles is my best) so don't know if or when I would 'hit the wall', but I know when I start out running there's always a point where I want to stop/walk for a while and that's about the 10 - 12 minute mark, if I push through that then I feel like I can go for another 30 minutes or so with ease!
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I'm still just a walker not a runner yet so I'm guessing I would probably bonk out at the 1st mile mark but I am guessiing I would stop to have sex at any point it was offered :happy:
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    lol