H.I.I.T

Options
Hey all I'm looking for an effective HIIT program, need some help finding one that is cheap/ affordable/ better yet free... Poor college student here. Suggestions please!! Thank you

Replies

• Jmgris1
    Jmgris1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for free ones, Google and YouTube are your friends.
    https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=hiit+youtube+workouts
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    boots4409 wrote: »
    Hey all I'm looking for an effective HIIT program, need some help finding one that is cheap/ affordable/ better yet free... Poor college student here. Suggestions please!! Thank you

Run sprints at the campus track.
  • SuperheroSadie
    SuperheroSadie Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    www.piit28.com
  • boots4409
    boots4409 Posts: 16 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

Need a little more resistance than just running, but not a bad idea at all. I prefer erging believe it or not... But point of HIIT is to switch it up between exercises so you get several muscle groups working.
  • Fernella13
    Fernella13 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    How about Fitness Blender on Youtube. They have many free videos.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Need a little more resistance than just running, but not a bad idea at all. I prefer erging believe it or not... But point of HIIT is to switch it up between exercises so you get several muscle groups working.

HIIT is periods of high intensity, all-out effort followed by short lower-intensity "breaks". It does not require resistance. Like 60 seconds of skater lunges followed by 30 seconds of marching in place repeated over and over again until you feel like you are going to die. I suppose you could work some kind of resistance training into a HIIT structure, but I've never heard of that. All the HIIT workouts I've ever done or found were all cardio.
  • boots4409
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

HIIT is periods of high intensity, all-out effort followed by short lower-intensity "breaks". It does not require resistance. Like 60 seconds of skater lunges followed by 30 seconds of marching in place repeated over and over again until you feel like you are going to die. I suppose you could work some kind of resistance training into a HIIT structure, but I've never heard of that. All the HIIT workouts I've ever done or found were all cardio.

Well my brother for example uses some free weights while doing HIIT, like with 10-20lb Dumbbells, idk if that counts as some resistance or still just cardio. Whatever it is he lost 40lbs doing it.
  • tgrieger87
    tgrieger87 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If you have the access to equipment, and are not limited by a crazy busy gym just find some exercises like others here suggested and stack them for 45 mins. The class I take (which is crazy expensive) is a 55 min cycle of treadmill, strength, calisthenics, and rowing. Just go hard the entire time!
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Well my brother for example uses some free weights while doing HIIT, like with 10-20lb Dumbbells, idk if that counts as some resistance or still just cardio. Whatever it is he lost 40lbs doing it.

He probably was doing a cardio workout using weight to increase Intensity. If you want to incorporate weight, you should look for a workout that include complexes.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    But point of HIIT is to switch it up between exercises so you get several muscle groups working.

No

The point of HIIT is to take your HR into the high anaerobic range for a number of short periods as a means of improving VO2Max in preparation for competition.

fwiw I would say sprint intervals as well, assuming adequate aerobic base allowing you to run at easy pace for 60 minutes.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    But point of HIIT is to switch it up between exercises so you get several muscle groups working.

I think you are confusing HIIT and circuit training (although to be fair lots of circuit training programmes are marketed as a form of HIIT.)
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Google HIIT on Wikipedia AND read the referenced research studies. It's NOT plain vanilla interval training. It's best done in a controlled environment and preferably with someone yelling over your shoulders. Just go hard isn't making the mark. Equipment needed to accurately monitor the intensity (and establish your baseline) is not cheap but should be around in an university lab. (And note the two forms of exercise, running and cycling, that were and still used to research the benefits or lack of from HIIT/HIT.) It's crushing work and you should have a very good aerobic base before attempting it.
  • Cutemesoon
    Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
    Options
    Search Shelly Dose on youtube. I'm super glad I found her. She's amazing!
  • HappyHeart4U
    HappyHeart4U Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Tabata-style strength training. There are Tabata timer apps. You can use your bodyweight as resistance if you like.
  • debbiesteinman
    debbiesteinman Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT on various machines at the gym and then I do stair climbing. You can use steps anywhere check out the videos on YouTube. You can do these outside in parks etc. I also find running up hills to be very intense. So far the burn from HIIT lasts so much longer than regular exercise. I like challenges now. I am doing the CN Tower Stair Climb in Toronto this weekend (1,776 steps -- 146 floors) I hope to do this in about 40 minutes. I have never done this before but I think with all my training from the gym I will be able to do it on a reasonable amount of time. I find it is great to try new things out and every now and then super charge your routines.
  • Soultwist
    Soultwist Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Tabata-style strength training. There are Tabata timer apps. You can use your bodyweight as resistance if you like.

This seems like a good suggestion. Free exercises could include pushups, pullups, halfjacks, squat curls, box jumps, etc depending on what you have around you.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

No, the point of HIIT is to spend time above your anaerobic threshold to raise your capacity (VO2max). And to get ready for a competition or event on a limited schedule.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options

You can do it in the pool. On a bike. On a treadmill. Running on the trails. In the weight room. On the basketball court.

High intensity interval training doesn't require spending $$. Sweat and determination is all it takes.
  • boots4409
    Options
    Thanks for everybody's suggestions, and I do realize I don't know everything there is to know. I am learning, that's why I ask questions. So yes, I welcome your knowledge.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

No. You are not describing HIIT, you are describing circuit training.