Clean eating and protein powder

Options
I've been eating clean for many years and have always wondered how protein powder can be clean. Most people who are clean eaters stay away from junk food/processed food. In my opinion, protein powder is so processed....how can it be clean? I use it, but have always had the thought in the back of my mind that it is highly processed. Can someone please explain to me how it can be an acceptable clean eat food?
Thanks for any opinions....

Replies

• beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Bump, I've wondered this same thing. I've notice that on Mark's Daily Apple, he sells protein powder, but how can that be paleo?
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I consider it a sort of gray area. But FWIW, I recently switched to a "natural" kind, that uses stevia instead of artificial sweeteners. It tastes perfectly great, and gives me a little more peace of mind.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's a by... or is that co-product of cheese making, if you eat cheese then you're eating what's left after the whey has been removed.
    I'd not worry about the processing of it, but truvia on the other hand... meh I'll take stevia itself anyday.
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I've been eating clean for many years and have always wondered how protein powder can be clean. Most people who are clean eaters stay away from junk food/processed food. In my opinion, protein powder is so processed....how can it be clean? I use it, but have always had the thought in the back of my mind that it is highly processed. Can someone please explain to me how it can be an acceptable clean eat food?
    Thanks for any opinions....
    Please explain how it's dirty. Since I assume you're going to say it's processed, please explain why that's remotely bad in a diet that favors whole, micronutrient-dense foods.
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    I'd also ask for a definition of "clean eating".

Also being quoted makes me feel weird. Especially because the quote is a sarcastic response to someone else's "word to the wise". :laugh:
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    I'd also ask for a definition of "clean eating".

Also being quoted makes me feel weird. Especially because the quote is a sarcastic response to someone else's "word to the wise". :laugh:
    Too bad it's a brilliant quote and it's not going anywhere.

...Unless your wallet has something to say of the matter...
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    How come no one ever appologizes for comming off tall?

just sayin'

*smirk*
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Please explain how it's dirty. Since I assume you're going to say it's processed, please explain why that's remotely bad in a diet that favors whole, micronutrient-dense foods.
    [/quote]
    Please answer my question, how is it clean? Clean to me means not processed.
  • Teemo
    Options

Well, if "clean" eating to you excludes food processing, that is, turning raw natural ingredients (in this case, milk or cheese, to some extent) into foods... then protein powders are processed and not clean.
  • osucristina
    osucristina Posts: 197
    Options
    Garden of Life makes a Raw Protein powder- check it out!
  • welloiledmachine
    Options
    I know that there are clean foods that are somewhat processed, but my definition of clean is something that is close to nature that hasn't been taken out of it's natural state. Like comparing an apple to an apple pie. Obviously, the pie is processed. I just want to know how protein powder is made and what is in it.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is. I would say protein powders are processed food. I do very occasionally have them in an emergency, but I generally avoid them.
  • Teemo
    Options
    I know that there are clean foods that are somewhat processed, but my definition of clean is something that is close to nature that hasn't been taken out of it's natural state. Like comparing an apple to an apple pie. Obviously, the pie is processed. I just want to know how protein powder is made and what is in it.

That's fine. I'm answering your question! :laugh:

If that's your definition of clean foods then protein powders aren't clean foods. Whey protein is a by-product from milk/cheese which is then dried and possibly mixed with sweeteners, etc., and then put into your container for you.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    Your question is based on a flawed premise.

Why is something processed inherently dirty? Are you defining dirty solely in regards to how it's made rather than what effect it has on our body and subsequent health?
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Since it starts off as the liquid that is drained off when turning milk into cheese if you eat cheese (to the OP where I saw cheese in the food diary) then whey powder shouldn't be a problem if cheese isn't "processed" then whey isn't either.
  • welloiledmachine
    Options
    I wasn't trying to start a debate or claim that I was a 100% clean eater. I don't think I could be as I eat Greek Yogurt (I think is processed) for its high protein content. I stay away from cheese as much as possible as I do believe that to be highly processed. Since I think cheese is processed, then protein powder to me is processed. Not that I won't use it, but I feel that cheese and protein powder in its final stage has been very man-made. There is nothing that is really from a natural state, if that makes sense. I understand that protein powder is supposed to be a good source of protein, but it seems that there is so much involved in the making of it and hate the fact that most of it is made with artificial sweeteners. Something else I have stopped using because that surely can't be a clean food. This is just my opinion. I really just wanted peoples opinion on whether or not they thought protein powder was clean.
  • vkpmusic
    vkpmusic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I find the idea of "Raw" protein powder interesting. Where do you get it? Also, what about some of the ones sold that are organic? They might have fewer ingredients and be less processed....
  • welloiledmachine
    Options
    Garden of Life makes a Raw Protein powder- check it out!
    Hmm, sounds interesting. Thanks.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    I wasn't trying to start a debate or claim that I was a 100% clean eater. I don't think I could be as I eat Greek Yogurt (I think is processed) for its high protein content. I stay away from cheese as much as possible as I do believe that to be highly processed. Since I think cheese is processed, then protein powder to me is processed. Not that I won't use it, but I feel that cheese and protein powder in its final stage has been very man-made. There is nothing that is really from a natural state, if that makes sense. I understand that protein powder is supposed to be a good source of protein, but it seems that there is so much involved in the making of it and hate the fact that most of it is made with artificial sweeteners. Something else I have stopped using because that surely can't be a clean food. This is just my opinion. I really just wanted peoples opinion on whether or not they thought protein powder was clean.
    That's all fair, but shouldn't your definition of clean vs. dirty be more based in regards to how our body handles those foods? There's nothing to suggest that processed food like protein powders or cheese is a remotely bad thing. Because of that, I'm curious as to why you still consider it to be dirty, or not clean, if it does not harm and can provide good nourishment in a diet. Just curious as to why you're defining clean and dirty by how things are made rather than how they affect our health.

Furthermore, you can find protein powders without added coloring or flavors or sweeteners.
  • Teemo
    Options
    That's all fair, but shouldn't your definition of clean vs. dirty be more based in regards to how our body handles those foods? There's nothing to suggest that processed food like protein powders or cheese is a remotely bad thing. Because of that, I'm curious as to why you still consider it to be dirty, or not clean, if it does not harm and can provide good nourishment in a diet. Just curious as to why you're defining clean and dirty by how things are made rather than how they affect our health.

Furthermore, you can find protein powders without added coloring or flavors or sweeteners.

There's never been a clear distinction of what makes a food "dirty" or what makes it "clean". Most people would agree that tomatoes, cheese, olive oil, and flour/bread are clean but put them together and throw it in the oven for pizza and suddenly you have a dirty food.

If you choose the degree of processing as the defining characteristic, as OP has, then whey protein powder is probably somewhere in the middle. It's barely processed, just like with cheeses, but with certain protein powders sweeteners ARE added. That's probably enough using OP's definition to make it a dirty food though it does seem like a fairly arbitrary classification. Milk = clean. Milk + a teaspoon of sugar = dirty? That doesn't make a lot of common sense.

Anyway, I think OP has her answer. As to what most people think, I can only speak for myself and say I've never considered whether or not protein supplements were clean/dirty. Just like I don't really consider whether or not tea/coffee, or multivitamins, or TUMS is clean/dirty.