Foods you never ate previously, but which are key for your weight loss

Options

Replies

• kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I eat the same foods mostly. I always ate a big variety of food. I just eat less portion wise now. I've noticed my meals always have heaps of filling veggies now tho. Also I seem to not be able to live without cottage cheese. It's low calorie and high protein so I eat it almost daily.
  • karmelpopcorn
    karmelpopcorn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Raw cabbage in salads and wraps. It's like spinach is to Popeye!
  • Danimri84
    Danimri84 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Almond milk. I grew up a huge cow's milk drinker, and I had a very negative opinion of any milk alternative. But almond milk is delicious! I didn't give up my cow's milk, but I have incorporated almond milk into my diet and I really enjoy it. My 5 year old son really likes it too.
  • blueeyez939
    blueeyez939 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yogurt and kombucha! The real stuff, with all the strains of live bacteria! Works wonders for craving and it has definitely been a daily staple in my diet since my weigh loss journey began 5 years ago! Kombucha is seriously live changing stuff if you have never tried it! Just don't knock it till you have gave it several tries.... It doesn't taste very good the first couple times you drink it, but trust me, it grows on you and works wonders for your body!
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Vast quantities of salad have actually been a big help for me since they give me the volume I want without a huge number of calories. I mostly eat the same stuff I used to but either on or with a huge salad. Growing up I hated salad but I love them now that I've figured out how to prepare them so that I actually enjoy them!
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Nothings changed for me but serving sizes.
  • sarahfadell87
    sarahfadell87 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hommus in replacement of mayo on pita bread..

I eat A LOT of chicken pitas in general.. I can get most my food groups on one for less than 400 calories if i make them at home
  • LORIMCX
    LORIMCX Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have always eaten a lot of fruit and & veges, but now I try a lot of new recipes to change them up,
    but Califlower has helped me reduced using potatos and rice
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I don't know that it's "key" but now I LOVE roasted broccoli and I eat brussel sprouts, which I had never even tried before.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Grapefruit: I HAD to have sugar on it before to eat it...now it's like dessert. Probably my favorite thing to eat.
  • mwinslow69
    mwinslow69 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have add rice cakes because they are brown rice and convenient. I have cut down on eating meat daily.
  • mwinslow69
    mwinslow69 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    mwinslow69 wrote: »
    I have add rice cakes because they are brown rice and convenient. I have cut down on eating meat daily.
    :)
    mwinslow69 wrote: »

• chalaivy
    chalaivy Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    I eat the same of everything- just less...some things WAY less. Ive always been a diverse eater.
    Greek yogurt was one i adapted to eating until I realized it was the culprit of constipation. May as well have been eating handfulls of cheese...darnit! :(

How much were you eating?! I really hope this isn't happening to me but I have been having issues... And my fiber intake hasn't been terrible....
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I eat Souplantation quite regularly now, which I didn't before.
  • buffyjustme29
    buffyjustme29 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    spiralized butternut squash I get a big mound for under 100 cals, tastes great alone or with a spoonful of my favourite sauce warmed in a wok good to go.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot more greek yogurt, which I had had before but didn't like as much as regular yogurt. After eating it more I started liking greek better.

I eat a lot more eggs, but obviously ate them before.

I've finally learned that winter squash (including spaghetti squash) is not as difficult to work with as I'd always told myself, quite easy in fact, so I eat that a lot more.

I eat more turnips and parsnips--used to think I didn't like them, but I do.

I eat more fruit, especially local summer fruits. This is more because I switched to a CSA that has fruit as well as vegetables, but also because I started going to the green market more. Before I'd make sure to eat vegetables with meals but didn't really think about fruit.

I make an effort to eat a much larger variety of greens (I mostly ate spinach and chard before, and arugula with spinach or some kind of spring mix for salads, now I vary it a lot).

I've tried and now include in my diet sometimes seitan, chia seeds, flaxseeds, and protein powder (main new things I can think of since deciding to lose weight), but they aren't really staples.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot more butter, bacon, beef, eggs, avocados, heavy cream, full fat cheese (no more reduced fat, yay!), chicken with the skin, full fat plain Greek yogurt, and mayo...I always ate these things but I strictly limited them, and instead ate whole grains, fruit, veggies, low fat or fat free dairy, and very lean meat. Now I strictly limit the sugars and starches, get adequate protein, and fill up on fat. Keeps me satisfied. I never want to go back.
  • poteatkd
    poteatkd Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Plain yogurt. My entire life I've always eaten premixed yogurts, but have only recently incorporated the plain yogurts in my diet mixed with fresh fruit and sweeteners.