Low Carb Protein / Snack Bars?

Options
Hi Guys,

I picked up a couple of Quest bars (they were on sale), and, well... I'm glad I didn't pay full price.

I'm looking for something low carb, preferably under 7g net, that's yummy and has some sweetness to it. I need a backup plan on days I want to fall off the LC bandwagon. Any ideas?

Replies

• kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    make your own protein bars, protein muffins, protein doughnuts, etc. Most recipes are very easy.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    @kuftae The problem with that is the desired use, I guess. I want to have a couple backup "treats" that fit my plan, stashed in a cupboard, so when I feel like diving headfirst into a sugar bowl I can "indulge" without going off plan.

I realize I can do the trial and error approach, but some advice on where to start is desired.
  • Rockkap
    Rockkap Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I do low carb as well, not counting net and honestly, I have yet to ever find a bar that isn't around half my daily allowance. If you're just going by net, then quest is probably your best bet.
  • thetrudster1
    thetrudster1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use "Pure Protein" bars when I need a sweet fix. One bar has 17 g carbs, but if you can eat just one half of it, it would be only 8 1/2 g carbs. Sometimes one fourth of a bar is enough to satisfy me. You can get them at Walmart, Target, and Cosco.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I do low carb as well, not counting net and honestly, I have yet to ever find a bar that isn't around half my daily allowance. If you're just going by net, then quest is probably your best bet.

Thank you! I switched to net to give myself more room for veggies, which seems to be effective so far. Maybe other flavors of Quest are better. :)
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I eat Power Crunch bars. 13 grams of protein 10 carbs 200 calories for peanut butter fudge, 205 for triple chocolate
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    I use "Pure Protein" bars when I need a sweet fix. One bar has 17 g carbs, but if you can eat just one half of it, it would be only 8 1/2 g carbs. Sometimes one fourth of a bar is enough to satisfy me. You can get them at Walmart, Target, and Cosco.

Ooh, those run abouy 3g net carbs, so git right into my macros. Good to know that such a small bit is satisfying. I appreciate the recommendation!
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Are you open to individually packaged protein shakes?

Premier protein you can get at Costco in a 16 pack for around $20-25. They do not need to be refrigerated.

160 calories, 30g protein (!), 5g carbs, 3g fat.
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »

Premier protein you can get at Costco in a 16 pack for around $20-25. They do not need to be refrigerated.

Wow, you've just given me a reason to renew my Costco membership!

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    kuftae wrote: »
    make your own protein bars, protein muffins, protein doughnuts, etc. Most recipes are very easy.

Slide me that doughnut recipe dawg.
  • Psysix
    Psysix Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Premier protein drinks from Costco are great. They have about 4g of carbs, 30g portion and tons of vitamins. :)
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »

Very open! My main reason for a bar is that I can tuck it in a drawer for when I need it. This sounds like the same deal. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    The KIND nut and spice bars are not too bad. A little higher than what you'd like.

Dark Chocolate Nuts & Sea Salt - 200 cals, 6g protein, 15g fat, , 9 net carb

Caramel Almond & Sea Salt - 200 cals, 6g protein, 16g fat, , 8 net carb

What I like about these is that they really do feel like a treat and taste amazing!