Sticking to your calorie intake

Just started this 3 days ago. Wondering if the calorie intake this app gives you worked for anyone?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Yes.
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    It's definitely working for me. I've lost 22 pounds since I started tracking in December, and by choosing what I eat carefully, I never feel deprived.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Sure, worked great.
  • kalynpethel
    kalynpethel Posts: 12 Member
    rakowskidp wrote: »
    It's definitely working for me. I've lost 22 pounds since I started tracking in December, and by choosing what I eat carefully, I never feel deprived.

Thats great! Good job! Thanks for the reply
  • rakowskidp
    Thats great! Good job! Thanks for the reply
    You're welcome, and THANK YOU!

It's all about eating at a deficit - consuming fewer calories than you burn. MFP sets that up for you based on your current weight and your goals. It couldn't be easier!

• Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Yep!
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    No. It did not work for me. It was far too low and I was sick all the time. I've since learned to set my own goals and am much happier with my progress now.
  • lesleyloo7879
    lesleyloo7879 Posts: 439 Member
    yep!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2016
    No. It did not work for me. It was far too low and I was sick all the time. I've since learned to set my own goals and am much happier with my progress now.

MFP takes your height, weight, age and gender and then subtracts based on "I want to lose XX pounds per week."

A very low daily goal comes from an aggressive weekly weight loss goal. This daily goal is BEFORE exercise.
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Yes it will work. Guaranteed. Do this, get results. Just don't cheat and then blame the app.
  • rakowskidp
    kuftae wrote: »
    Yes it will work. Guaranteed. Do this, get results. Just don't cheat and then blame the app.

This, definitely. Weigh everything. Don't guess. Count bites while "grazing." It's worked like a charm for me.

• Ree13x
    Ree13x Posts: 46 Member
    The real trick is sticking with the program. it can work, if you do it smart, but the goal they set you is just a tool based on average statistics. it won't necessarily be the results that you're individually looking for, BUT the more accurate you get with your counting and taking into consideration the amount that you burn the more accurate their system becomes. and if you have any doubts Always do your own research. there are dozens of pages that give statistics for different body types when it comes to consumption and burn.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    TeaBea wrote: »

MFP takes your height, weight, age and gender and then subtracts based on "I want to lose XX pounds per week."

A very low daily goal comes from an aggressive weekly weight loss goal. This daily goal is BEFORE exercise.

Important point.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Yep it works.
  • kalynpethel
    kalynpethel Posts: 12 Member
    Thanks everybody!!!! I appreciate your responses!
  • mmmpork
    mmmpork Posts: 133 Member
    edited April 2016
    Depends. There are a few different formulas for calculating BMR and TDEE. Your best bet is to try to get an Lean Body Mass estimate and use formulas that use that to calculate your TDEE rather than using a height/weight BMI ratio, which is what MFP uses. I found MFP to be a little in the higher range of calorie targets. That said, my recommendation is you set your activity level to the lowest option that represents your daily activity (I said sedentary even though I walk a lot) and be very conservative in your weight loss goals (.5 pounds or .25 kilos per week).

Depending on where you are starting at, if you're really overweight, it's easy to create a deficit. Like if your TDEE is 2300 calories per day to maintain 230 lbs with 50% body fat, and you need a deficit of 500 calories per day to lose 1 lb per week, that puts you at 1800 calories per day. As you get closer to your goal weight, you're going to need to tweak those numbers a bit. MFP will adjust with you which is nice, but a deficit of 500 calories may no longer be realistic. That's one place where MFP isn't so helpful.

Secondly, don't eat back your exercise calories. MFP automatically adds any calories burned to your daily target. If there's a way to turn that off, you probably want to. I'd argue that MFP is already pretty generous in its estimated TDEE that it's worth just calculating your own TDEE for different levels of activity to get an idea, and then just experimenting to see how you respond. For instance, if sedentary you know you need to stay under 1500 to maintain your deficit, then look at a TDEE chart to determine what to multiply your BMR by for an adjusted TDEE based on your activity and make that your new target, not the literal calories burned suggested by MFP. So if you swam laps for an hour, then use a factor of 1.3 x your BMR instead of the 1.2 used for sedentary.

Overall though, it's been working for me but only by sticking with my own TDEE calculated targets. The MFP target is more like, if I go over for some reason I don't feel too bad because then I'm still in a deficit.
  • SaraD60
    SaraD60 Posts: 3 Member
    edited April 2016
    Yes. As an overweight, no obese, lady in middle age I thought I would struggle to lose 12 lbs in 12 weeks. As it is, I've almost done so in 8!!! My first week was done on my own. My only proper exercise not accounted for by being "lightly active" is walking my dog every day for at least half and hour. And carefully keeping within my recommended intake by either scanning bar-codes or weighing everything. That said, in this eight weeks, I have managed to scoff fish and chips once, 2 Chinese takeaways and 2 >:) Easter eggs and have still lost 4 inches off my hips. But I have accounted for these "slips".
    MFP has helped me tremendously and as I continue on my downward journey will guide me to my chosen target weight. Would not be without it. (My current daily allowance is 1570 calories aiming at losing 1lb per week.)
    So far I have got away with eating many of my exercise calories back :wink: