Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Diet soda and weight loss?

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Sawjer wrote: »
    If you are counting calories, macro counting like myself you can feel free to enjoy diet soda... however the chemicals cant be doing any good for your insides!!! It has 0-11 calories most "diet" and "zero" drinks.. just log it, you will loose weight.

Everything I've ever eaten has chemicals. Amazing how I've lived this long.
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    I drink it every day and hasn't impacted my weight loss. Even on maintenance I only drink diet soda. Diet Coke, Diet Dr. Pepper, or the occasional Coca Cola Zero. They all taste good to me. Regular coke or pepsi tastes too sweet now.
  • LeoZandi
    LeoZandi Posts: 38 Member
    Yeah enjoy :smile:
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    alexzenk86 wrote: »
    I would stay away from diet anything. I used to have a huge dependency on soda, and I know what it can do to the body. The chemicals they put in soda alone should make you second question yourself when you drink diet soda. Just because it has 0 calories doesn't make it healthy. Pay attention to they put into the drink. I stick to water, coffee and tea.

Which chemicals would be the worrisome ones?
  • MindPump1
    MindPump1 Posts: 77 Member
    I would stay away from diet anything. I used to have a huge dependency on soda, and I know what it can do to the body. The chemicals they put in soda alone should make you second question yourself when you drink diet soda. Just because it has 0 calories doesn't make it healthy. Pay attention to they put into the drink. I stick to water, coffee and tea.

Lets go to school shall we?

First off, your body was never mean to digest any of the ingredients listed in soda. Past the first ingredient, and starting with Caramel E150D ( notice I'm looking at diet coke) this has been linked to cancer. To me, don't want to consume that. Sorry. Next ingredient, sweetners, Aspartame, and Acesulfame K, Both were produced to be safe alternatives to using sugar, yet have been linked to many healthy problems over the years. Next, Phosphoric Acid, this is the product you hear about that eats away at bones, teeth, and causes kidney stones. Why is it soda you ask?? Just to give it a sharp taste...Next, probably the two least harmful ingredients depending on the person, caffeine and citric acid.

This is why I stopped drinking soda. Most of these companies do not care about you as a person. They want to make money! So they dump all this crap into their drinks not caring what it does to the inside of a person, so they can make a profit.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member

First off, your body was never mean to digest any of the ingredients listed in soda. Past the first ingredient, and starting with Caramel E150D ( notice I'm looking at diet coke) this has been linked to cancer. To me, don't want to consume that. Sorry. Next ingredient, sweetners, Aspartame, and Acesulfame K, Both were produced to be safe alternatives to using sugar, yet have been linked to many healthy problems over the years. Next, Phosphoric Acid, this is the product you hear about that eats away at bones, teeth, and causes kidney stones. Why is it soda you ask?? Just to give it a sharp taste...Next, probably the two least harmful ingredients depending on the person, caffeine and citric acid.

This is why I stopped drinking soda. Most of these companies do not care about you as a person. They want to make money! So they dump all this crap into their drinks not caring what it does to the inside of a person, so they can make a profit.

Sounds like the FDA must have really dropped the ball on this one. How did it manage to get through the cracks?
  • MindPump1
    MindPump1 Posts: 77 Member
    richln wrote: »

Sounds like the FDA must have really dropped the ball on this one. How did it manage to get through the cracks?

I don't think the FDA really cares to much about what goes into food. Have you ever read what you consume? Look at all the packaged food out there. IT will blow your mind.

Do yourself a favor-check out Mind Pump, they are a fitness Podcast. They talk about stuff like this on some of their shows, along with talking about the corruption in the fitness industry, and they know their stuff too.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    My doc told me that your body processes the substitute sugar in the same way so it raises your insulin levels which, in an insulin resistant person like myself, can slow weight loss. I have no proof to back up her claim. I have not been able to kick the habit completely and I try to limit myself to one a day. I've been able to lose weight with no noticeable impact.

I think, as with anything else, too much of anything is not good. If you enjoy it, have it. If you notice your weight loss stalling, maybe try to scale back. You have to figure out how it works for you and your body. Good luck.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    It hasn't done me any harm. I drink like two of them a day.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member

This reads like a letter in cosmopolitan magazine. Lol
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    ames105 wrote: »
    My doc told me that your body processes the substitute sugar in the same way so it raises your insulin levels which, in an insulin resistant person like myself, can slow weight loss. I have no proof to back up her claim. I have not been able to kick the habit completely and I try to limit myself to one a day. I've been able to lose weight with no noticeable impact.

I think, as with anything else, too much of anything is not good. If you enjoy it, have it. If you notice your weight loss stalling, maybe try to scale back. You have to figure out how it works for you and your body. Good luck.

Your doc is wrong.
    https://examine.com/faq/do-artificial-sweeteners-spike-insulin/
  • fahdiz
    fahdiz Posts: 10 Member
    There might be plenty of reasons to avoid diet sodas, but a negative impact on weight loss isn't one of them.
  • KAYRRIE
    KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
    So I have a huge diet soda habit and a friend at work insists that despite being 0 calories, diet soda is negatively impacting my weight loss.

Thoughts?

I highly agree. 1st that fake sugar they put in it is horrible for you. But most importantly, the sodium they use to flavor it is so bad for your heart and causes you to swell. That's what causes water retention, and 'causes your kidneys to over work because it's something that's not natural for us. Water would be your best bet, and believe me I know what soda withrawal feels like, I was a soda addict too. Loved my soda, and once in a blue I sneak in a soda and it's the equivalent of eating an amazin piece of cake for me when i drink it. Cause of that feeling, i had to ban it from my house. You'll feel that prob for the 1st week or 2 but it really does get easier. If you don't feel you can quit, maybe you can just challenge yourself not to drink it for 1 or 2 weeks and see how you feel at the end of that. Wish you the best with this.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    KAYRRIE wrote: »
    So I have a huge diet soda habit and a friend at work insists that despite being 0 calories, diet soda is negatively impacting my weight loss.

Thoughts?

I highly agree. 1st that fake sugar they put in it is horrible for you. But most importantly, the sodium they use to flavor it is so bad for your heart and causes you to swell. That's what causes water retention, and 'causes your kidneys to over work because it's something that's not natural for us. Water would be your best bet, and believe me I know what soda withrawal feels like, I was a soda addict too. Loved my soda, and once in a blue I sneak in a soda and it's the equivalent of eating an amazin piece of cake for me when i drink it. Cause of that feeling, i had to ban it from my house. You'll feel that prob for the 1st week or 2 but it really does get easier. If you don't feel you can quit, maybe you can just challenge yourself not to drink it for 1 or 2 weeks and see how you feel at the end of that. Wish you the best with this.

He sodium argument is so washed up. There is more sodium in most tap water.