Foot pain - don't know what it is OR what to do?

Options
2»

Replies

• Dana_E
    Dana_E Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    For sandals, Birkenstocks are great for PF. I wore them constantly, indoors and out, and that was the only thing I did and it went away in a couple of months. They are pricey and there is a 2-week break in period, but once they mold to your feet, they are wonderful. I love Brooks running shoes. I used to buy cheap shoes but I just can't mess around with that anymore. Gel arch supports are a great addition as your shoes age to get you between shoe replacements. Unfortunately, your barefoot days are likely over. My PF flares up if I've been running around barefoot for too long. I miss barefooting!
  • ColoradoDan
    ColoradoDan Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    So after a couple days trying to pay attention to the pain here is what I have found:

- When I wake up in morning it doesn't hurt at all....nothing......zero pain. I walk around fine, no limping, nothing.

- After I get to work (sitting in office) and it gets to be around 11am then the pain when I stand up is almost unbearable. I only get to leave my desk maybe 3-4 times a day to grab someone's order from the back of shop.

- When I get home around 6pm they feel better. Not 100% but I am not severely limping anymore - just a little.

- My wife gave me a foot massage to help - there is zero pain except one tiny spot by heel during that.

- I find it strange that BOTH feel hurt the same. Did I get two plantar fascitiis strains at the same time? Does that happen?

STILL PLANTAR FASCITIIS?
    (I thought the worse pain for that was after waking up)
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,986 Member
    Options
    The pain is usually worse for me in the morning, but it is also bad after sitting for long periods of time. I usually only get it in my left foot but I suppose you could get it in both. I do think the cheap shoes from Walmart may be a lot of your problem. I started out with those and when I got some new more expensive, better running shoes my feet felt so much better. I was really surprised at the difference it made. Honestly if I were you I would probably see a podiatrist and see if there is something else going on. It kind of sounds like PF, but not exactly.
  • tnm7760
    tnm7760 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I had PF and had to reduce my activity considerably. It eventually went away, but not before everything suggested seem to make it worse. Then, I started exercising more vigorously again and BOOM, it was back in both feet, just like you described. In the heel, through the arch.

After googling and self diagnosing, I found the SocDoc website. It sounded like voodoo witch doctor stuff, and totally opposite of conventional PF wisdom, but I thought it couldn't hurt. So I tried his pressure point suggestions, quit stretching my feet, etc. It went away in a week or so and has yet to return. I've had a few instances where I *thought* I felt shin splits coming on and tried his suggestions for those too and the mild pain went away.

I still wear shoes, even for working out. But I use his massage/trigger point suggestion and don't use the inserts my doc recommended. They seemed to make it worse.

I'm not sure if it was total coincidence or if his suggestions really do work, but it was worth trying (free and super quick & easy). You might try googling "SocDoc".
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    For what its worth, my experience with PF was horrible - it was so bad I even had a couple of cortisone shots injected into my heel to ease the pain, but the benefit did not last long. Good shoes (I wear Merrells too) and inserts help and unbelievably, it will go away, but may take some time. For me, it was here one day and literally gone the next. But boy oh boy did I suffer in the meantime. My grandfather was an immigrant shoemaker when he arrived, and always told us to wear good shoes - you only get one set of feet, you better take care of them!
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Definitely plantar fasciitis, but don't despair. You can do so much for it. I have had it on and off for years, and most recently over the past fall/early winter. HORRIBLE, and I know exactly how you feel. It sucks!

What made the difference for me was a few things. First of all, I bought a pair of Birkenstock shoe inserts - and they go in ALL of my shoes, no matter what. I also bought a pair of YourSole inserts for my athletic shoes, which stay in. And stretched that sucker like the dickens, in fact - I still do it daily. I use this: http://www.footsmart.com/P-SmartFlexx-Stretching-Device-10741.aspx

And after all of that, my orthopedic surgeon and I decided to give the cortisone injection in heal a go. BEST. DECISION. EVER. It hurt like a mother for about 10 seconds, but quite literally 2 days later, my pain was GONE. That was in December, and almost 5 months later, I still feel wonderful. It has made the BIGGEST difference in my workouts - nothing hurts anymore. Wonderful :)

I hope you are able to find some relief, and I highly HIGHLY recommend seeing an orthopedist who specializes in the feet, vs a podiatrist. I've not ever had much luck with the podiatrist.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Normally I would say go get some SuperFeet (or similar insoles) and put them in EVERY SHOE YOU OWN. Not just the shoes you walk in, but the ones you work in too.

Um, foot pain that gets worse later sounds like something to do with blood pooling in your feet. Can you get your blood sugar tested? Rule out something diabetes related? It's probably not but...you know, to be safe...
  • bjaneb
    bjaneb Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I had plantar fasciitis as well. I started a new job last year and 90% of my day is walking. I work the sketcher shape-ups and they made a ton of difference. Once I started losing weight and excising, the pain subsided tremendously!
  • slickmickey
    slickmickey Posts: 113 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    i agree with plantar fasciitis. you need to rest your feet, get better shoes, stretch... or it can get really bad. i had a job where i had to stand for 4-5 hours, cement floor, hardly moving... by the time i got home and took my shoes off, i couldnt stand back up. i was literally holding onto chairs and walls to make it thru the house.

i went to a dr about it, and i got cortisone shots which hurt so badly... then i got anti-inflamitory drugs hoping to lessen the inflamation of the ligaments or whatever it is. one foot was so inflamed it was more than twice the thickness it was supposed to be. i was also given a boot to wear 3 hours a night (1.5hr per foot) that bent my toes up and back to stretch the foot. eventually i got orthopedic insoles. i had to stop stressing my feet - so i had to quit that job, stop zumba, and stop jogging for a few months. it got better. now that i've put on a little more weight this year and have taken up jogging and zumba i can tell its flaring up again. so i have to start watching it or i'll be back where i was before!!

so for a home remedy, you can roll your feet on a ball; you can find them on amazon. you can also stand on a step with your heels hanging off and lower yourself up and down. its a good stretch. invest in better shoes. you need better arch support. ice is good too for after workouts. PF can cause heel spurs too (lucky us right?!) so that might be something to watch out for btw. you dont want to have orthopedic inserts if you can avoid them - $500 for mine. cortisone shots werent cheap either but they did help for about a week each time... i wish i had quit the job before i got those shots because THAT SUCKS - they burn and standing on that.. ouch. they might have worked longer too had i given everything else up right away.

wanted to add i NEVER had morning pain. only during periods of inactivity during the day and evening.
  • kmarnes
    kmarnes Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I had a minor bout of plantar fasciitis as well which resolved with resting and avoiding running. Until it goes away, you really should avoid any sort of high impact such as running, biking, or even walking too much. One thing not mentioned is a possible Vitamin D deficiency which can contribute to causing bone spurs which have plantar fasciitis like symptoms. If you are obese and running and have either flat feet or high arches, you could be at risk for that.

Maybe read up on bone spurs and see if that fits the bill for you?

If you frequently get foot cramps while resting, it could be a vitamin deficiency as well. Swimming is an excellent exercise in both these cases.
  • ColoradoDan
    ColoradoDan Posts: 85 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    This is 100% opposite of everything I have read here - ha ah.

Keys to fixing:
    - Do not stretch
    - Do not ice
    - Only walk barefoot
    - Do not wear inserts

http://sock-doc.com/plantar-fasciitis-treatment/
  • cate320
    cate320 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    This is 100% opposite of everything I have read here - ha ah.

Keys to fixing:
    - Do not stretch
    - Do not ice
    - Only walk barefoot
    - Do not wear inserts

http://sock-doc.com/plantar-fasciitis-treatment/

Lol, his description makes him sound like one of the quack chiropractors that tries to cure everything instead of traditional medicine. Probably not worth listening to this guy.

I suffer from plantar-fasciitis off and on, and stretching and inserts definitely help. I never tried icing and I walk barefoot while at home, so I can't comment on the effectiveness of those.

Also, even thin people can suffer from this, unfortunately. I had one of my worst flare ups ever when I was only 130 lbs. Now at 215 I am fine.

Each time it happens, it takes months to go away :(