Should I force myself to eat when not hungry?

Options
Hi everyone
I'm wondering should I force myself to eat even if I'm not hungry. Food kind of grosses me out and the thought of it is enough to usually make my appetite go away. I usually force myself to eat anyway, but I wonder if this is doing more harm than good? If I'm not hungry, should I be forcing myself to eat to meet my calorie goals?

Replies

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Normally I would say no, but I wonder if you're making your calorie goal routinely? How many calories do you normally have? Is there a reason food grosses you out - texture, taste, etc.?
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    Are you overweight? Underweight? What is your goal that you have a hard time meeting? Need more info before opinion can be given.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    zacksnana wrote: »
    Are you overweight? Underweight? What is your goal that you have a hard time meeting? Need more info before opinion can be given.

Yes, this. Is this a recent change for you, that food "grosses you out"? Definitely need more background and current info in order to attempt to help.
  • Chaidell
    Chaidell Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    Normally I would say no, but I wonder if you're making your calorie goal routinely? How many calories do you normally have? Is there a reason food grosses you out - texture, taste, etc.?
    My calorie goal is around 1300, but I usually can only get myself to eat about 900 - 1000 a day. I honestly don't know what it is. It's the idea of eating it and the smells and the texture all combined I guess.

I'm just within the healthy weight for my height. My goal is 1200-1300 but I often fall around 200-300 calories short.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about 50 calories or 500? Are you talking about exercise calories or just your base number of calories? Hard to help with out some specifics.

If they are exercise calories, a try not to eat too many of these back and pay attention to my energy levels as a gauge.

If it is your base and you are under by 500 calories on a regular basis for very long, your body is going to eventually tell you it is hungry. Plus I would imagine that it will go into protein stores in your body, muscle, along with the fat stores. I am really trying to make sure that I don't lose muscle as I lose weight.

Just some thoughts.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Are you still running? If you don't eat, you can't run.

If you do not eat your calories needed to do basic activities, live your life and just do the things you enjoy, then yes you should try to do what ever possible to eat.. Perhaps eat calorie dense foods that will help you reach your calories..

Have you suddenly fallen ill or feel unwell and not able to eat? Are you not eating because you have fallen ill or are feel unwell because you are not eating the right amount of calories? Perahaps a doctors visit is in order?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1

• Chaidell
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

Yes, this. Is this a recent change for you, that food "grosses you out"? Definitely need more background and current info in order to attempt to help.
    This isn't recent for me, it's been this way for over a year. My doctor thought it might be gastritis, but I went on meds with no change and he's decided to do no further followup.
  • Afura
    Options
    Chaidell wrote: »

This isn't recent for me, it's been this way for over a year. My doctor thought it might be gastritis, but I went on meds with no change and he's decided to do no further followup.

Get a new doctor, one that will at least attempt to work with you on your issues. I agree with not running if you're not getting enough calories. Is there anything that you don't mind eating? Shakes, smoothies, chips, bacon, spinach, raw veggies?
  • Chaidell
    Options
    Are you talking about 50 calories or 500? Are you talking about exercise calories or just your base number of calories? Hard to help with out some specifics.

If they are exercise calories, a try not to eat too many of these back and pay attention to my energy levels as a gauge.

If it is your base and you are under by 500 calories on a regular basis for very long, your body is going to eventually tell you it is hungry. Plus I would imagine that it will go into protein stores in your body, muscle, along with the fat stores. I am really trying to make sure that I don't lose muscle as I lose weight.

Just some thoughts.
    Just my base number of calories. I could never eat back my exercise calories, it's hard enough just to get the bare minumum lol. It's usually only up to 300 calories a day that I'm short by, so maybe it isn't a big deal but I don't have that large of a calorie allowance to begin with so it seems like a lot.

RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Are you still running? If you don't eat, you can't run.

If you do not eat your calories needed to do basic activities, live your life and just do the things you enjoy, then yes you should try to do what ever possible to eat.. Perhaps eat calorie dense foods that will help you reach your calories..

Have you suddenly fallen ill or feel unwell and not able to eat? Are you not eating because you have fallen ill or are feel unwell because you are not eating the right amount of calories? Perahaps a doctors visit is in order?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
    Yep, I'm still running! Running is just about the only thing I can do to make myself hungry. It isn't really sudden, but I suppose I should revisit my doctor. When I first began having this issue he thought it was gastritis but the medication he prescribed me didn't solve my problems. I'll try eating more calorie dense foods for sure, thank you!
  • Chaidell
    Options

Get a new doctor, one that will at least attempt to work with you on your issues. I agree with not running if you're not getting enough calories. Is there anything that you don't mind eating? Shakes, smoothies, chips, bacon, spinach, raw veggies?
    I'm definitely in the works of getting a new doctor, which is why I haven't followed up on the issue for some time. Usually I can only stomach raw veggies and even that can get hard.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Oh, well if it's related to digestive issues from personal experience it took a lot of trial and error on my part. My doctor wanted to try meds but I preferred to try to figure it out myself. You may have some kind of intolerance or allergy. It may take an elimination diet and accurate tracking of what you like, what you're able to tolerate and what you aren't.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I looked at your profile. You're 109 pounds, and your goal is to be 95 pounds. I don't know how tall you are, but this weight is underweight, unless you're under 5 feet tall. If you're 5 feet tall, it is at the very bottom of healthy weight. If you're over 5 feet tall, it's underweight.

It also says you want to be a runner. Trust me, to run, you need to fuel your body. You need to eat. One of the biggest problems with performance for female runners is undereating. I struggled with an eating disorder when I was young, and it killed my running speed. I thought being really thin would help me run faster. It didn't.
  • Chaidell
    Options
    I looked at your profile. You're 109 pounds, and your goal is to be 95 pounds. I don't know how tall you are, but this weight is underweight, unless you're under 5 feet tall. If you're 5 feet tall, it is at the very bottom of healthy weight. If you're over 5 feet tall, it's underweight.

It also says you want to be a runner. Trust me, to run, you need to fuel your body. You need to eat. One of the biggest problems with performance for female runners is undereating. I struggled with an eating disorder when I was young, and it killed my running speed. I thought being really thin would help me run faster. It didn't.
    I'm only 4'9, 95 pounds is within my healthy range. That is a good point, my speed has hardly increased at all and it could definitely be from a lack of fuel. I just don't know how I can force myself to eat more than I already am.
  • Afura
    Options

I'm definitely in the works of getting a new doctor, which is why I haven't followed up on the issue for some time. Usually I can only stomach raw veggies and even that can get hard.

I'd see to that right away if you can. If anything just to deal with the issues of foods, let alone overall body health - I expect my Dr may tell me when I'm doing something wrong, but to dismiss an issue like not being able to eat, they'd better list. I would see if there are maybe liquids that you can handle, not even protein shakes, but even just soylent or meal replacements, something that you can handle ingesting that maybe isn't food that will still get you nutrients and calories. As stated above, you have to fuel your body, even if it's just finding different ways that you can at least accept. Heck just to fuel your basic body needs.
  • Chaidell
    Options

I'd see to that right away if you can. If anything just to deal with the issues of foods, let alone overall body health - I expect my Dr may tell me when I'm doing something wrong, but to dismiss an issue like not being able to eat, they'd better list. I would see if there are maybe liquids that you can handle, not even protein shakes, but even just soylent or meal replacements, something that you can handle ingesting that maybe isn't food that will still get you nutrients and calories. As stated above, you have to fuel your body, even if it's just finding different ways that you can at least accept. Heck just to fuel your basic body needs.
    I've been thinking about maybe trying to handle those meal replacement drinks.. I had quite a fondness for them when I was younger which actually led to me gaining about 40 pounds over the course of one summer hahaha. I'll definitely give it a shot! And I'm meeting with who I hope will be my new GP as soon as the school year ends and I return home.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I think it's fair to say that if you've been eating this way for a while, and are still just within the healthy weight for your height, you're probably eating more than you think anyway...

At your age and your activity, if you REALLY only ate 1000 calories, you'd be underweight. Period.
  • Chaidell
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I think it's fair to say that if you've been eating this way for a while, and are still just within the healthy weight for your height, you're probably eating more than you think anyway...

At your age and your activity, if you REALLY only ate 1000 calories, you'd be underweight. Period.
    I'm relatively certain of the calories I'm eating. I've lost more weight in the past 10 months than I've ever lost in my life and I'm also at my lowest weight since I went through puberty nearly 10 years ago. My weight loss is only just now starting to plateau
  • Chaidell
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I was just wondering is this something recent or have you always been this way? If the cause was gastritis, that is usually easily treated with acid reducers and sometimes prednisone, which would make you way hungry. I have known some people who are just never hungry and never liked any foods. Probably something genetic. Hope you find a solution though.
    It's been this way since about June of last year. I was put on an acid reducer (prilosec I believe) and took it for about 3 months before deciding to quit because it wasn't helping. It could be genetic I suppose, but if it is, I'm coming into it rather late lol