Any runners out there with success stories?

Options
I have decided to start running (along with diet and other basic exercise) to lose my weight. I would LOVE to see some success stories from runners!!! : )

Replies

• lynette4
    lynette4 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I restarted running in Aug or Sept. and so far I have lost 43 lbs. I still have a long way to go but I'm getting there. I even took off nov - Jan of calorie counting but my running helped me maintain until the holidays were over. I started at a 14 min mile and am now down to an 11 min mile for 4 miles (I have even gotten in the 10 mmin range a few times). Running can be a love/ hate relationships but it is always worth it :)
  • TracyV125
    TracyV125 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Running helped me reach my goal weight and has been helping me maintain my goal weight since. I was never a runner until one day (July 2104) I made the decision to do it. I downloaded the C25K app and away I went. I highly recommend it if you've never run before (like me). It doesn't tell you what speeds to run or walk. It's more about building your endurance and lung capacity. I never thought I'd love to run but I do. It's great for weight control and so good for the mind! Best stress reliever! Good luck to you!
  • sammiejones
    sammiejones Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    aj12i89jqjj3.jpeg
    My main exercise is running I love it!!
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I went down from size38 pants to 32 and lost 35 lbs through running. And obviously counting calories. I was also able to get off the diabetes drug, Metformin. And my blood sugar is well under control now. Running has played a big part in all this.
  • Sklahsen
    Sklahsen Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I also just took up running. I downloaded the C25K app, and try to go to our local high school track to run. I've only done 2 days, but I am impressed with myself! Just keep at it. (thats what I keep telling myself too!)
  • BrandiMin1991
    BrandiMin1991 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Sklahsen wrote: »
    I also just took up running. I downloaded the C25K app, and try to go to our local high school track to run. I've only done 2 days, but I am impressed with myself! Just keep at it. (thats what I keep telling myself too!)

Today is my second day of the c2 5k program also!!! It sure is challenging already, but I feel I can do it!
  • jmbrown090
    jmbrown090 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I began running in mid February and have been able to add miles much quicker than I had planned. Goal is to run a half marathon next February. On Monday I was able to do 6 miles no stopping about 11:30 a mile. My biggest problem is not taking rest days. I feel like if I take a day off I am somehow a failure. Tomorrow I've planned a simple one mile run and need to stick to it (goal for the week is 25 miles and I'm at 22 with two days left to complete the final 3 miles lol)

I love it. Some days I hate it and can't contemplate why I'm doing it. But I've never once finished a run and regretted going. It's also allowed me to eat more which I looooove while still losing weight. I'm down 63 pounds since September and have about 35 left. Bring it on
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I would suggest doing the C25K app, but also doing the daily check in thread on the C25K forum on here. That is really helpful.
  • asimonep
    asimonep Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 pounds in a year by running. I still eat the same as I did before, except I keep track of my calories, and make sure I don't go over board, but I certainly don't "diet." I run a 5k and then walk for 90 minutes on my treadmill 3 nights a week, and the other 4 nights a week- I walk for 2 hours. 9yau9fi39zzi.jpg
    7sbvuupjmy91.jpg
  • NMSever
    NMSever Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm down 97lbs due to my diet and exercise. I picked up running a little over a year ago and run every other day (my knees need the break) but I also lift too.

I agree with what others have said, to invest in good shoes and to go slowly. You're doing this for you! Good luck and have fun!
  • tltmom
    tltmom Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I ran for one year - didn't change my eating habits (which were terrible) one bit. Lost 3 pounds!

I've revamped my eating using MFP since August 2015 - I've lost an additional 25 pounds!

So at least in my case, the good eating habits are key!

I only run 4 days per week and went from couch potato in August 2014 to half marathoner currently. Slow and steady wins the race!
  • ASH_DVM
    ASH_DVM Posts: 160 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Yes!

Picked up running again after a long layoff last summer. Was up to 240 pounds in July. Extremely out of shape. I decided to get back to running. That first mile was excruciating at around 14 minutes. I had to run/walk the majority. But I kept at it. Kept pushing. Even through the winter. And to now, I finished a training program for a half marathon in April, only to also pick up a bout of Achilles tendinitis.

I thought to myself, "well, this program was all for naught." Until I stepped back and realized the true success of the program was the fitness progress I've made. I am now 168 pounds, hoping to drop to around 160 before embarking on a Recomp program. I was able to run my last 12 mile training run at 9:01 min/mile pace. I can run a 5K training run in 23:43 without too much effort. I now wear size 32" waist jeans and small to medium shirts, depending on brands and types. I can now just go on a run for fun without it being a challenge, and I really enjoy it. I'm also delving back into other physical activities, like swimming and hope to get my road bike tuned up again, maybe to participate in some triathlons. I still have a goal of running my half-marathon here in a few weeks, but if the Achilles doesn't cooperate, I'll power walk it and just revel in the progress and successes I've had over the last 10 months.

Running has helped me find a passion for fitness, exercise, success, and also made me realize goals don't have to be measured with numbers. All it takes is effort, hard work, and a lot of fun, and you'll have a lifelong change as well!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Running can be great, but it's only a small part of the equation. Like stated above, people either love it or hate it. But, that being said, running is more about the health benefits than the weight loss. It can help with losing weight, but isn't necessary to do so. Eating at a deficit will create weight loss. As the saying goes, you can't outrun a bad diet. Running can increase your deficit a small amount. Some folks eat back their exercise calories burned, some eat back a portion of them (50% or so), some don't eat any back.

If you are going to start running, a few things I learned:
    • Start slow, and use a program. The C25K program is awesome, highly recommend you find one you like. I used the ZenLabs version because it synced with MFP.
    • Get good shoes from a proper running store. Have your gait and feet analyzed so you can get the right shoes for you. When you first start and you are doing 60 second intervals, its not so important, but when you start doing 10 minutes or more at a time, you could start to see ill effects from bad kicks.
    • Take rest days! Do not run back-to-back days. You need rest time to recover and make your gains. 3-4 days a week is plenty! You can cross-train, lift weights, swim, etc, the other days if you must do something.
    • Did I say go slow? GO SLOW! It's not a competition! No medal for running a 4 minute mile! Take it easy, go for time, speed will come with time.

Running is fun and helps with your overall health and happiness, but it not a magic weightloss bullet. Your biggest ally there is properly weighing, tracking and logging your calories in.

Good luck!

Great post!

I'd like to add that it's recommended that you eat the majority of your exercise calories back, otherwise you risk the health problems associated with under-eating.

Other than that, again, fantastic post.

I started running on September 22 2015, and since then I've lost 17 kg. I began with C25K by Zen Labs, doing the program 3 days a week. I now run 4 days a week, can run 5 km in 29:12, and my furthest distance is 15.1 km without stopping.

I credit the weight loss to a calorie deficit.

I ate back 50-75% of my Fitbit calories earned from exercise, which meant I got to eat more and was never hangry, but never went over my daily calorie limit.

I'm feeling amazingly healthy and happy! :)

20160326%203%20sml_zpsxjuivyu4.jpg

• Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I took up running 8 years ago to loose weight after I had had my last baby. I lost loads of weight doing that. 18 months ago I had a bad horse riding accident that left me unable to walk for three months, let alone run, and I put 28lbs on. Since January I've been back running regularly again and have now lost most of that again!
  • pgray007
    pgray007 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've been running for about 9 years since doing C25K (no apps, just downloaded a spreadsheet from somewhere). I detested running for most of my life, but C25K showed me I could actually do it by starting slow, and it's now an inseparable part of my life.

My weight has fluctuated a bit since running, but I'm currently in the best shape of my life and getting back into triathlons, and have over a dozen half-marathons under my belt. This is coming from someone who couldn't run a mile back in college so start slow and the possibilities are limitless. A few tips:

1) Run outside. I started on the treadmill (aka the dreadmill) since I was embarrassed, but running outside, rain or shine, is a joy. When I travel for work it's really fun to run and see different parts of the place I'm staying

2) In addition to shoes, get some good socks. They'll save your feet from blisters. I like Balega Hidden Comfort but just buy something better than your 10 year old gym socks and your feel with thank you

3) Start off easy and don't increase distance more than 10%/week or you'll injure yourself. If your knees hurt, before you run out to buy new shoes, try running on the sidewalk versus the road. I was getting knee pain from the camber (slope) of the road and it cleared up when I switched to the sidewalk. That stuff about asphalt being "softer" than concrete is BS

4) Don't worry about repeating some of C25K. When there was a week I struggled with I'd just do it over, sometimes 2-3 times, until I could do it without feeling like I was dying.

5) Book a race! It's amazingly fun and hooked me to running. Check active.com and there are tons of 5Ks all over the place. When you get there, find a friendly face (if you're not with a friend) and tell them you're new to running and it's your first race, and they'll likely show you the ropes and you'll have a great time.

Enjoy!
  • MissCreepyLovestruck
    MissCreepyLovestruck Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so very much for all of your helpful comments. I will CERTAINLY take all of your advice to heart. I have been jogging/walking in the mornings and I can already tell a difference in how much I am able to do. I am going right now to get a PROPER pair of running shoes. I am also looking into C25k. Thank you all again!!!
  • scottnield1
    scottnield1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ran first 5k in March 2015. Just finished my first half marathon last weekend, 75 lbs lighter.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I have not actually lost much weight until recently even though I was running- because I was not logging my food. I did, however, continue to lose inches all over my body and dropped a pant size. Now that I am getting both my food AND exercise on track, I am excited to see my progress. Good luck- I now love to run and it all started with C25k!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!