Talk to me about fitbits

Options
I'm really wanting one but I have no idea which to get. What's the difference between them all? I'm hoping that getting one will motivate me as all I want to do these days is eat. Especially since I work between a subway and mcdonalds so it's so easy just to go in a have lunch at one of them. :(

Replies

• kristieshannon
    kristieshannon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I love mine. I have the flex. It's really motivating to set and then meet step goals each day. It also gives you other day such as calorie burns, sleep times, and exerercise tracking. I know there are more expensive models that track heart rates and more, but the flex has been great for me.
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    The kind you want depends on what you want out of it. The charge hr is a nice choice because it does the heart rate and displays important information. A flex doesn't do heart rate, but is slimmer. An Alta will do what the flex does, but have a nicer display. A surge is more for running, since it has built in GPS. The new Blaze has hr and a nicer display. They all measure steps and estimate calorie burn. Best buy will often have a display set up so you can try on the different models and see what you feel like fitd the best ( some think the Blaze or surge are too bulky and uncomfortable).
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One. I like it because it's small and I can clip it on my body, or just put it in my pocket. I don't like the ones you have a wear on your wrist all of the time. With the One, I can almost always find a way to wear it and don't have to worry how it looks with clothes. It seems pretty accurate, and is definitely a motivator for me to be more active.
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    It depends on you and your lifestyle and what you want the tracker for. I have the Charge HR. It's nice to see my daily activity and it keeps me motivated to get up and get those last few hundred steps, or to take the stairs instead of the elevator so that I can reach 10 floors for the day, etc. I also like that I can look at my relative HR during cardio and such. Disclaimer, it's not the best for any cardio or exercise that isn't steady state. It'll give wacky readings. All HRM Fitbits will.

The One is good if you don't want to wear a big ole wristband all around. It's easy to hide. The Flex is nice because it's thin and has lots of colorful band choices. The screen doesn't show anything but dots (one for each 2000 steps until you reach the 10,000, I believe). Flex also doesn't have an altimeter so it won't track stairs. Charge is like the Charge HR but without HR. Tracks steps, stairs, sleep, exercise, calories, etc. Charge HR, of course, adds in HR monitoring, and also tracks resting HR. Surge does everything the Charge HR does but adds in GPS. It's more for runners. Blaze does everything the HR does and has a fancy screen. Blaze and Surge are both huge. The Blaze seems more like it was Fitbit's stab at a smart watch. Alta does everything the Flex does and is just as small, but has nice bands (bracelet-like, more professional looking), and the screen actually shows stats such as the number of steps and all that (not just dots). All Fitbits except the One (and Zip if they still have that) become super sketch when pushing things (like a basket at the grocery store or a baby stroller or something) because they go off of stride and that messes with the stride. One is much better equipped to handle that. One and Flex might have to be hooked up to update as far as the app and site go, even though the screen or dots will reflect daily activity. That's a maybe. I know my mom always has to plug up hers (she had a One and now has a Flex) for it to show on her phone and whatnot. The others all do Bluetooth for sure. Charge and Charge HR cannot change bands. The color and size you get is what you get. Flex and Alta have a plethora of bands for any mood. Not sure about Surge or Blaze.

Also, visit Fitbit.com to find their comparison chart. It'll tell you more, though I understand that you wanted some personal experiences as well
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I use the One - I don't like things on my wrist, have no need for HR, and it has worked consistently for 2 years. I don't have to plug it in anywhere to sync - my phone app works fine, as does the blue tooth app for my computer.
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    maxit wrote: »
    I use the One - I don't like things on my wrist, have no need for HR, and it has worked consistently for 2 years. I don't have to plug it in anywhere to sync - my phone app works fine, as does the blue tooth app for my computer.

Oh cool! I wasn't too sure on that one. For some reason, my mom always had/has to plug hers into some dongle thing on her laptop, and she has an iPhone 6+.

Then again, she may just be charging it and I thought she was updating ... :D
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    After reading a ton of reviews for the different models on Amazon, I settled on the One and love it. I do find it motivational.

I was sad when I saw it was sending about half the calories as what MFP had been calculating for walking, but I wasn't surprised as that goes along with what a lot of people say about the MFP burns being inflated.
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I think @BeYouTiful94 has summed it up pretty well for you in terms of what does what.

I have the surge (cause I wanted built in GPS) but it is bulky and the rubber band has worn in some areas and split underneath. Works fine though and I got an extended warranty so I am not too worried about it. Love that I can read a short text without going & getting my phone which make sup for some of the bulkiness.

One other thing to keep in mind some people still get reactions to the rubber. I actually have 'burn' marks from the old force which doesnt exist now. If I dont regularly wash the strap of my surge I get a small rash near the strap holder where skin & other gunk collects. I think because of the rubber the skin etc sticks to the rubber in the crevices. A quick wash and its gone overnight. Mind you I also live in a tropical environment so more sweating than other locations.

• forthemovies
    forthemovies Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I got the Alta, simply because it's more stylish than the Flex. Have really increased my activity since getting it and love that it calculates my TDEE as the day goes on!

I keep the Bluetooth off a majority of the time since I have no use for getting text/call notifications on my wrist. I sync it a few times a day to let it update my step count.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One. I like it because it's small and I can clip it on my body, or just put it in my pocket. I don't like the ones you have a wear on your wrist all of the time. With the One, I can almost always find a way to wear it and don't have to worry how it looks with clothes. It seems pretty accurate, and is definitely a motivator for me to be more active.
    Same here. I've only had the One and for the most part I've been satisfied with it.

• 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I have the Zip which counts steps. I don't think I exercise hard enough for my heart rate to matter. It was fairly cheap. I clip it to my waist band. It syncs nicely with my phone. It runs off a battery. Battery life is about 6 weeks. I have run mine through the laundry twice and it still works even though it isn't supposed to be waterproof. I have tested with a pedometer I have that uses a pebble bounce to count steps. They are always very close with step counts so I trust the accuracy. I trust the exercise calories it gives me or not.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I have the Surge, love the extra features like reading my text messages.
  • lizwooshy
    lizwooshy Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If you are going to use it SOLELY as a step counter, I would recommend downloading a free app for your phone (Pacer syncs with MFP) or getting a cheap old fasion waist pedometer. Save yourself a ton of money.

It just depends on what your purpose is.
  • Tempest07
    Tempest07 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I just wanted the steps and heart rate so I got the Charge HR and it's great for my needs. I just enjoy looking at all my stats, and seeing where I can improve or go faster/longer during my workout sessions. Everyone here has good advice. Hope you find what works!

https://www.fitbit.com/user/3HWMYN

Feel free to add me. :)

Brian
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Don't get the Charge, mine fell apart. I got the Alta, it's like the Charge but no stairs [I don't have stairs at my house] and it's thinner, which I like.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I got the Alta, simply because it's more stylish than the Flex. Have really increased my activity since getting it and love that it calculates my TDEE as the day goes on!

I keep the Bluetooth off a majority of the time since I have no use for getting text/call notifications on my wrist. I sync it a few times a day to let it update my step count.

I can't sync on my phone without turning bluetooth on my phone even though I have the text/call notifications turned off.
  • forthemovies
    forthemovies Posts: 14 Member
    Options

I can't sync on my phone without turning bluetooth on my phone even though I have the text/call notifications turned off.

I turn it on to sync a few times a day only. But I like keeping it off most of the time. It's like a fun surprise when you've added in 5,000 steps and get a jump in your TDEE (it also keeps you from obsessively checking).

I never bothered setting up the call/text notifications. Bluetooth tends to drain my phone battery though and I almost never take it on walks...so it'd just be searching for a device that isn't near it.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I got the Fitbit Flex.

Simply having it on reminds me to move more.

I am also super competitive and compete with my friends often for getting the most steps... I went from normally 2000-4000 steps a day to averaging 15,000 a day and sometimes going as far as 25,000 a day. HUGE difference for me.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I just ordered a Zip. I wanted the One, but the Zip is about 30 dollars cheaper. I wanted a Fit Bit to use strictly as a pedometer, so the other styles didn't appeal to me since the steps won't be accurate if you're using your arms and not actually walking. I have a cheap pedometer now and it works great, but I wanted one I could sync with MFP.
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have a Flex but I keep it in my pocket because it wasn't tracking well on my wrist. Maybe I move my arms weird but when I was running it would miss half of my steps, and was iffy when pushing the stroller. Had I known that would be the case I would have just gotten the Zip. I've had it for a couple of years now and the calorie burn has proven accurate for me but I don't do a lot of high-impact exercise.