Is anyone else on the Keto Diet?

Options
Hi, my husband and i are on the keto diet and i would like to know if anyone else on MFP is on it to?
Mandy

Replies

• dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I'm not, but I'm curious as to what the Keto diet is? :)
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options

Ketogenic Diet: Super low carb diet that is intended to cause ketosis. It's usually <50g or even <25g of carbs per day. Ketosis is when the liver runs out of glycogen (carbs) and turns fat into ketones for energy.
  • poseyj88
    poseyj88 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm not.

But if's also called the ketogenic diet (and is often used to treat medical conditions such as metabolic disorders and epilepsy).
  • tinamwilson
    Options
    I am not on any specific diet but I do not eat carbs with the exception of beans/legumes or "slow" carbs. I eat a very high protein diet to stay in ketosis while I'm losing but also because after WLS you have to keep your protein up to 80+ grams a day.
  • beernutz
    beernutz Posts: 136
    Options

Ketogenic Diet: Super low carb diet that is intended to cause ketosis. It's usually <50g or even <25g of carbs per day. Ketosis is when the liver runs out of glycogen (carbs) and turns fat into ketones for energy.
    Good answer.

I would add that there are many variants of a ketogenic diet including Adkins, South Beach, low glycemic index, targeted (TKD), and cyclical (CKD). There is even an "extreme" diet based on zero carb intake. They all seem to be based on the idea of high fat, which generally means greater than 50% of all calories, adequate protein based on body size and composition, and low carbs, generally less than 5% of all calories. A type of ketogenic diet has been effectively used to treat epilepsy in children.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Aha ok, Atkins and the first phase of the south beach diet are along that same line.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I'm not following "the" Keto Diet, but I am attempting to keep my net carbs under 50 per day (although for a few days I was up to 80-100 carbs). I am in and out of ketosis on a regular basis. I'm a longtime Atkins Induction dieter, so if you need any advice, I'm more than happy to help within my scope!