Can someone exercise enough to offset weightloss with new muscle?

Options
PaulWilson907
PaulWilson907 Posts: 13 Member
edited April 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I am:
Male, 39, 289LB, 6'2

I've rode my bike 140 miles in the last 10 days. I ride my bike everyday at least 12 miles. I eat 1800 - 2000 calories a day. Food in which I weigh, eggs, salmon, vegetables, etc.

On a cheat meal I rode 13 miles and ate 2 pieces of pizza, so I'm not exactly being an over eater on my cheat meal once a week.

I've experienced 0 weight loss or gain in 2 weeks. Is my body able to actually gain muscle weight at the speed in which fat loss is taking place ( hopefully )?

Thank you, Paul

Replies

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing all of your food and mostly preparing it at home so you know exactly what you're eating (other than the pizza or other occasionaly cheat meal)?

It is possible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, but you need to also zero in on any potential issues with your calories in and calories out before making any decisions. Are you new to exercise? If you want to keep up the process for as long as you can then you should start directly strength training.
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention if riding was a new activity if the distance was greatly increased over a short period of time.

I find that after a extra big workout that I retain fluid/water weight (for muscle repair). It usually takes 2-3 days to pass if its a one off big day (while drinking copious amounts of water). ATM I have just started a 6 day a week training schedule (I was only doing 1-2 days previously), my weight hasnt budged and I expect it will take more time because its been worked almost everyday and is constantly repairing as I am using different muscle groups on different days (running, different body weight exercises). Its been just over a week so far and today is my first rest day so Ill be interested to see what I weigh in at tomorrow. Muscle soreness has definitely decreased over the course of the week because the schedule called for a long run last Sunday but a relatively short run yesterday.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    It's possible to gain muscle at a deficit but to to offset weight loss, I don't think so. At least not with just biking, though I applaud your cardio health! You said it's been 10 days, so I'm going to throw out the chart, it's a great guide and reference when we think we're stuck/not losing properly. :smile:

qkmbw2ute502.jpg
  • PaulWilson907
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Thank you for the replies.
    This is a new exercise I've just began riding 2 weeks ago and have been doing a 20 mile ride once a week and about 12 miles every day. That being said, I lost 50 lb last year then winter hit and I've been in hibernation since last November.

I do weigh my food and am very strict with what I put in my body. I basically buy the food like beans which have labels on how many calories per serving. I weigh my eggs without shells, I weigh fish and other food after cooking it. I'm trying to be militant so I can reap the benefits of weightloss.

I have seen that chart before and I had my thyroid tested last month, it's okay. I guess I could reduce calories more.

I know you're right about adding strength training, and I haven't because it is boring. But I will be adding some soon.

Thank you all for the answers/information and giving me your time.

Paul
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Strength training yields great rewards -- you will feel and look good (and will need less focus on the scale.)
    Take pictures now so that you can see your progress in two months.
  • Densans
    Densans Posts: 51 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Quoting from bodyrecomposition.com/
    "On average, a natural male doing everything right will be doing very well to gain 1/2 of pound muscle per week."
    That is with a surplus and yea ideal eating and training, so don't expect some extreme muscle gain.

Good job on the loss so far, really good job!
  • PaulWilson907
    Options
    Thank you RodaRose and Densans.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    A tape measure will answer your question. If you were to gain muscle weight at the same rate you lose fat weight then you would be losing inches.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,970 Member
    Options
    DukeNugem wrote: »
    Thank you for the replies.
    This is a new exercise I've just began riding 2 weeks ago and have been doing a 20 mile ride once a week and about 12 miles every day. That being said, I lost 50 lb last year then winter hit and I've been in hibernation since last November.

I do weigh my food and am very strict with what I put in my body. I basically buy the food like beans which have labels on how many calories per serving. I weigh my eggs without shells, I weigh fish and other food after cooking it. I'm trying to be militant so I can reap the benefits of weightloss.

I have seen that chart before and I had my thyroid tested last month, it's okay. I guess I could reduce calories more.

I know you're right about adding strength training, and I haven't because it is boring. But I will be adding some soon.

Thank you all for the answers/information and giving me your time.

Paul

Since this is a new exercise regimen, you probably have had some water weight gain masking your fat loss. Otherwise, you should be losing with your stats, calories, and exercise. Do your jeans feel looser?
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    DukeNugem wrote: »

I don't think you're doing anything wrong, in fact you seem to be doing everything right. I just don't think you're giving it enough time is all. :smile:
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Strength training yields great rewards -- you will feel and look good (and will need less focus on the scale.)
    Take pictures now so that you can see your progress in two months.

This ^^^ I like cycling and running too, they are good and they build endurance, fun and healthy, but lifting is what builds shape and muscle. Find a good routine that changes up a lot, there are so many fun new routines, supersets, pyramids, combination set, and listen to some fun music.

You can certainly lose weight and gain muscle at the same time, but the cycling won't add much to that. Just keep doing it because you enjoy it and it's healthy for you.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've experienced 0 weight loss or gain in 2 weeks

Far too short a time period to draw conclusions!
    If I reduce calories to give me 1lb/week loss I may see 1lb down the first week, nothing, nothing, lose 3 in week 4.

Think much longer term.
  • PaulWilson907
    Options
    I appreciate all the feedback, what an awesome community. I will buy a tape today and start measures. And I do think my jeans are a little looser but not much, maybe just my mind telling me I didnt cycle 15 hours for nothing, ha. They're definitely not tighter.
  • PaulWilson907
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I thought I would update this. After giving my body a rest for a few days after this post, the scale was -5lb and then my weight fell off another couple lb. Thank you all for the input.