Talk to me about fitbits

Options
2»

Replies

• ajc1309
    ajc1309 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I want one for a lot of reasons. I need to lose the extra lbs I've put on and I feel like having one will make me want to watch what I'm eating more. Also at work I'm on my feet for about 10 hours, 5-6 days a week so it'll be cool to see how active I really am. Has anyone noticed that it's helped the with losing weight? My problem is I can't really fit exercising into my day anymore as I'm working all the time and am so tired when I get home.
  • Heartlight441
    Heartlight441 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I've got the charge HR and I LOVE it!!! I did a lot of research for what I wanted and read tons of reviews for them all. I know I wanted one that has a heart rate feature and I love the app I use with it on my phone and that it syncs with MFP. So happy with it! I do have my eye on the Blaze but I love gadgets and have started running, so someday.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    ajc1309 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I want one for a lot of reasons. I need to lose the extra lbs I've put on and I feel like having one will make me want to watch what I'm eating more. Also at work I'm on my feet for about 10 hours, 5-6 days a week so it'll be cool to see how active I really am. Has anyone noticed that it's helped the with losing weight? My problem is I can't really fit exercising into my day anymore as I'm working all the time and am so tired when I get home.

Any fitbit is just a tool like any other that you can either use or not as you try to lose weight. For me, knowing my TDEE from day to day is extremely useful and having the fitbit sometimes makes the difference between keeping a deficit and not keeping one, but it won't keep me from overeating any more than my food scale because you can still ignore this data. I do think it's good for your situation because it's a great motivator for walking because you will see how important all those little steps are for adding to your daily calorie burn and if you've gone to the trouble of walking10,000 or 12,000 or whatever steps, you might be more inclined to log all your food and see exactly why you are or not losing weight. It keeps me from throwing in the towel when I can't get my regular workout in, too, which is running. I used to think oh well if I can't get a run in, how much could a little walk or two help, but it absolutely does add up.

I have had all the fitbit models except the zip. I just got the Alta and am not quite sure yet about it's overall durability & features. I did like the stair climbing feature of the Charge I had so I've lost that with the Alta, but I really like a new feature on the Alta where it reminds you every hour if you haven't moved 250 steps. I didn't realize I ever went a whole hour without moving at all some days, but it will buzz and remind you to get those in before the end of the hour. I love that.
  • JessUK98
    JessUK98 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Have you considered getting a Jawbone Up instead? I was looking at getting either a Fitbit or a Jawbone. I narrowed it down to a Charge HR or an UP3 and went for a Jawbone UP3 in the end. I was mainly interested in the sleep function which is apparently better than the Fitbit version.
    A comparison review of the two is here; http://www.wareable.com/jawbone/jawbone-up3-v-fitbit-charge-hr-best-fitness-tracker-2015

All depends what you want in the end, but I definitely recommend getting a tracker of some sort. Mine has kept me motivated and doing step duels with friends is fun (can you step dual on Fitbit?). The UP3 also just looks like a bracelet and isn't too bulky.
  • ajc1309
    ajc1309 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    JessUK98 wrote: »
    Have you considered getting a Jawbone Up instead? I was looking at getting either a Fitbit or a Jawbone. I narrowed it down to a Charge HR or an UP3 and went for a Jawbone UP3 in the end. I was mainly interested in the sleep function which is apparently better than the Fitbit version.
    A comparison review of the two is here; http://www.wareable.com/jawbone/jawbone-up3-v-fitbit-charge-hr-best-fitness-tracker-2015

All depends what you want in the end, but I definitely recommend getting a tracker of some sort. Mine has kept me motivated and doing step duels with friends is fun (can you step dual on Fitbit?). The UP3 also just looks like a bracelet and isn't too bulky.

I have considered the Jawbone but after reading some reviews I'd rather go for the Fitbit, also at my job I deal with a lot of tech and the Jawbone has had a lot of customer complaints (mostly battery issues).
  • forthemovies
    forthemovies Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Mine has definitely kept me more active and motivated. I'll go for longer walks and create ways to have more activity. Parking at the far end of the lot may only be an extra hundred steps...but it adds up over time! The TDEE calculation is great because I know exactly how much I can eat based on my activity.

Not sure how much I lost before getting it (I purchased a scale at the same time and did my first weigh in after almost a month of using MFP), but today's weigh in tells me I've lost 4.6 lbs since March 15! Right on track with my 1lb/week goal
  • Karihappy
    Karihappy Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Have the Fitbit Charge HR and love it. :)

5229779.png
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I have the One--it's great, but I've washed and dried it twice. I can't believe it still works, but it does! So overall I prefer my Charge HR and my Alta; since I wear them on my wrist, I'm never going to accidentally wash them. :) The Charge HR is my everyday Fitbit, the Alta is for when I'm dressed up.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I have the One and I love it. Like several others I do not want to have to wear it on my wrist. I like being able to clip it on my bra or waist and forget about it. You can use a pedometer on your phone, but I don't always keep my phone on me so it misses a lot of steps for me. I got my One about halfway through my weight loss journey and I am still losing at the same rate. It does help me to stay motivated. I have a very sedentary job so I really have to work to get my steps in.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Maybe also consider a Misfit (Flash)
    Same as the Fitbit but water proof and much much cheaper ($29.99)

Nice app
    steps
    syncs with MFP
    calorie burn
    sleep
    you can choose what kind o exercise you did
    etc etc

I like mine a lot
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    JessUK98 wrote: »

I have considered the Jawbone but after reading some reviews I'd rather go for the Fitbit, also at my job I deal with a lot of tech and the Jawbone has had a lot of customer complaints (mostly battery issues).

I find that interesting because I wore the Fitbit and the jawbone simultaneously. I found the jawbone more accurate and the battery lasts me a whole week while the Fitbit only lasted about 3 days. I ended up sticking with the jawbone.