Struggling a bit, should i have a bigger lunch and breakfast?

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    1200 is probably too little. You do realize that you're supposed to eat exercise calories back, right? That, plus you really don't want to lose more than 1 pound a week if you only have 30 pounds to lose.

For your question though, I eat 75% of my calories by 2pm, usually. It used to be the other way around before I lost weight though, but now I'm just too hungry during the day otherwise, and it's easier for me to deal with a bit of hunger at bedtime than during the day.
  • forthemovies
    forthemovies Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    OP is that your net after exercise? I have similar stats...5'3" SW 161 (was probably more as I didn't have my first weigh in until about 30 days into using MFP) CW 157.8.

If I do zero exercise I'm set at 1260 for the day. With exercise I have found a range of 1400-1600 (depending on my TDEE) has been helping me lose consistently and not feel too hungry.

Also, are you distracted when eating when you get home? I've made it a rule to have no phone, TV etc when eating and find I am able to still snack on my favourite foods without overdoing it. Knowing I can still have a snack as long as I stay in my calories is motivating! My current vice is a homemade oatmeal cookie with 8g of peanut butter spread on top.

Like others have mentioned...add some more fats and protein to keep you full. I find for myself that eating a simple green leaf salad with a touch of balsamic and oil with dinner (with or before the main dish) keeps me from eating too big a portion.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I think mid-afternoon snack of protein. An apple and jif-to-go!

Breakfast like king, lunch as a farmer, and dinner like pauper. Breakfast is 500-600 calories!

I just want to add that this does NOT work for me. I'm the exact opposite.
    ASKyle wrote: »
    Ditto. I don't eat breakfast. If I eat breakfast I will still want the same amount of calories for lunch and dinner.

Same as you lovely ladies! I eat very little during the day (when I am not hungry and can control it better). Coffee for breakfast, protein bar/protein shake for lunch, and save 800-1000 calories for dinner. If I eat dinner to full I am less likely to overeat.
  • bovellp
    bovellp Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with the advice to add some protein or fat at snack. I've started having an apple and 1 oz of almonds around 3:30 and I stayed sated until about 6:30pm
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    You really have to find what works for you. Some of us eat large breakfasts and some of us, like me, don't eat until the afternoon. Try mixing it up to find out what satiates you. And by the way, fat is satisfying and some of it is even good for you. When my fat macro is too low, I get really cranky and hungry.
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 284 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If you are just starting out...1200 might be a bit ambitious. I know MFP sets that as a goal but if I ate the way MFP told me too, I wouldn't still be here 20+ lbs down and 4 months strong. Try changing your settings to 1/2 pound per week and changing your activity level. Then after a while, if you feel like you're ready to try 1200, go for it. I think maybe you could try drinking more water while snacking and eat more for breakfast to avoid overeating when you have dinner.
  • xRezin
    xRezin Posts: 17 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Chug a bottle of water just before you leave to go home, or right after you get home. It should help curb your appetite a bit. It works well for me.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I believe a bigger breakfast and lunch. I use to do that as well, then I did an experiment with eating a good breakfast and a larger lunch and it works out much better for me. You can always experiment.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Breakfast like king, lunch as a farmer, and dinner like pauper. Breakfast is 500-600 calories!

If I eat breakfast like a king, the rest of my day follows like a king. Absolute failure of a plan for me. If I don't do the exact opposite, I end up eating waaaaay too much. No breakfast at all, or just some coffee, a 200-ish calorie lunch and the rest of my calories after 6.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    maea5040 wrote: »
    I normally have coffee and a hardboiled egg if anything for breakfast, and will have some chicken with a vegetable for lunch. I can have 1200 calories per day, and will end up having 500-600 calories left for dinner, but by the time i get home i end up binging and eating way more than that. Would having a bigger lunch prevent that?

I eat when hungry. If I don't want breakfast then I eat lunch and some days I don't really want either but will eat a little bit. But it's best to eat when hungry. If you find that you binge when you get home maybe you could keep a healthy snack in your car or with you at work to eat before heading home so you won't be as likely to overeat when you get home to eat that last meal of the day.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

I just want to add that this does NOT work for me. I'm the exact opposite.
    ASKyle wrote: »
    Ditto. I don't eat breakfast. If I eat breakfast I will still want the same amount of calories for lunch and dinner.

Same as you lovely ladies! I eat very little during the day (when I am not hungry and can control it better). Coffee for breakfast, protein bar/protein shake for lunch, and save 800-1000 calories for dinner. If I eat dinner to full I am less likely to overeat.
    MommyL2015 wrote: »

If I eat breakfast like a king, the rest of my day follows like a king. Absolute failure of a plan for me. If I don't do the exact opposite, I end up eating waaaaay too much. No breakfast at all, or just some coffee, a 200-ish calorie lunch and the rest of my calories after 6.

Here too. Start eating = keep eating.

On the upside if I NEED to eat more for some reason I know how. Oatmeal for breakfast...done and done...hungry all day.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    increase your protein and fat content. I have 4-6 oz of protein at every meal and almost never get hungry/cravings.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    Have you tried getting a afternoon snack in (something with fiber and/or fats), if it is like @janejellyroll asked? Or is it just that you have no willpower when you get home?

Ill usually have baby carrots as a snack, but I also have no willpower when i get home.

Personally, I ate about 300 calories for breakfast, 300 for lunch, 2 100-150 calorie snacks and whatever was left for dinner when I was losing. I ate about 1500/cals per day.

I had no will power either so I would save folding the laundry and cleaning the bathroom and kitchen for after dinner. I didn't want to get food on my clean laundry and I won't eat while i am using Lysol disinfectant. :smile:

Good luck figuring it out.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    How tall are you and how much weight do you want to lose?
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    How tall are you and how much weight do you want to lose?

I'm 5'3, 168 lbs, and would like to lose 30 pounds

Change your weekly weight loss goal to 1 pound per week and enjoy those extra calories.

Scooby says the # 1 reason people fail to lose weight is overly aggressive goals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOjsmqo1x8k
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I would do the same thing. I would add in some more protein and fats for snacks. With your baby carrots, have some hummus, nuts or avocado... or another boiled egg. Steamed veggies will fill you up, too. You could have them at breakfast or when you get home and you'll be too full to binge. 1200 is super low for losing 30 pounds. You could try 1400 and see how that feels. You'll still lose :)
  • youngandaspiringxo
    youngandaspiringxo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I eat most of my calories for breakfast and lunch/snack. Then when I get home I just have a light 200ish calorie dinner. I found that works best for me otherwise I binge at night.
  • skinnydahl
    skinnydahl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You should add another snack that has protein! Try a protein shake when you want to binge. I also like hard boiled eggs and Greek yogurt as snacks & find them filling!
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    It is interesting to me how different everyone is. I can't eat breakfast either or it is over for the day unless I am going to be too busy to even see food for the rest of the day. Only coffee until about 2pm, then a 500 calorie lunch, and then the other 1000 or so after I get home from work till I go to bed.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    It is interesting to me how different everyone is. I can't eat breakfast either or it is over for the day unless I am going to be too busy to even see food for the rest of the day. Only coffee until about 2pm, then a 500 calorie lunch, and then the other 1000 or so after I get home from work till I go to bed.

Geez I wish. I try and save the largest of my calories for dinner, but I wake up hungry usually, then have to wait for an hour to eat (thanks thyroid pills), so I'm usually really hungry by the time breakfast hits, then 3hrs later I'm hungry again. :sweat:
    As you can see, OP, we're all a little different! :lol:
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Afura wrote: »

Geez I wish. I try and save the largest of my calories for dinner, but I wake up hungry usually, then have to wait for an hour to eat (thanks thyroid pills), so I'm usually really hungry by the time breakfast hits, then 3hrs later I'm hungry again. :sweat:
    As you can see, OP, we're all a little different! :lol:

I sort of cheat and use coffee as an appetite suppressant. But sometimes my dinners are so amazingly overdone that I am still sort of "full" by mid-afternoon. That's why I know I've overdone it. But a cup of coffee will take the edge off of the morning hunger for me. I figure no worse than plenty of other people using other crutches to avoid overeating...and unlike weight loss pills, not dangerous and something I plan to continue for the rest of my life.