Fitness trackers

Options
2»

Replies

• festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin Forerunner 15, basically it's the 25 without Bluetooth. I had a Fitbit Flex before and my wife has a Charge. In my experience the Garmin quality is far above Fitbit, my Flex had battery issues once under warranty and got the Garmin when it died out of warranty, went through 2 bands, and my wife has had her Charge replaced for the band breaking. Battery life on the Garmin is much better also I've gone a couple weeks without charging though out does drain faster with GPS and HRM connected.

As for features it's whatever you find important, I'm ok with a chest strap HRM but don't want to have to carry my phone for GPS.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I prefer a chest strap because it's more accurate and records more/better data (which isn't useful to everyone).

People say they're uncomfortable but I forget I have mine on.
  • PiperGirl08
    PiperGirl08 Posts: 134 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I have a Microsoft Band 2 for general wear because 1) my life is in my Windows Phone and the Band 2 interfaces beautifully with it, and 2) because the Band 2 has optical HR which is accurate enough at rest and also because you can program workouts into it and it guides you through each stage including warmup, warmdown, intervals, and even stretching. You can create your own workouts or download pre-programmed ones.

For training, I have a Polar M400 with chest strap. It allows you to add sports and control the display screens. The H7 strap is EKG-accurate. The watch and the strap are waterproof for swimming. The Polar stats are numerous and beautifully displayed. The watch is very large for a woman's wrist, though.

Prior to the Polar and I had a Garmin Vivoactive with a chest strap HR monitor. It is a nice watch, but being the data junkie I am, I wanted EKG accuracy for my training. The Garmin chest strap is pretty accurate, mind you, I just wanted to step it up a notch. The Garmin only provides support for Running, Walking and swimming and since I also paddle board and toy with Yoga, I wanted to be able to capture training/exercise data on those activities, as well, and the Garmin device did not provide the facility to do so. The Garmin stats and presentation are also nice, but I'd have to give the edge to Polar, which is saying something because I held onto the Garmin for as long as I did precisely because of its data presentation.

The Band, Polar and Garmins all have built-in GPS for distance and pace accuracy when it counts. All track sleep, as well.

Prior to the Garmin I had a FitBit HR. My mother taught me that if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. Enough said about the FitBit.

I believe that Garmin has just come out with an optical HR watch, that will also pair with a chest strap for greater accuracy when needed. Might be worth checking out.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing a jawbone up and the Fitbit charge hr. Jawbone is more accurate. Fitbit gave me steps for driving and added way too many calories to my day. The jawbone is comfortable. The jawbone battery lasted a week, the Fitbit only like 3 days. Jawbone Does my sleep very well. And it's on sale at Best Buy for $99. Target will match it and get an extra 5% off with red card, so $94.99. If you live near a Costco, they had them on clearance for $59.97, only in black but it is a bundle that also comes with the up move clip on tracker, which you can also,wear on a wrist strap. They also have the fitbit charge hr bundle which I believe comes with an extra charging cord and 3 months free of something.

BJs has a lot of the garmin on deals. $30-$50 off until May 4th.
  • imamomwifedaughter
    imamomwifedaughter Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I prefer a chest strap because it's more accurate and records more/better data (which isn't useful to everyone).

People say they're uncomfortable but I forget I have mine on.

Do you use the chest strap on its own with a phone app? Mostly what I'm looking for is accuracy! Something that gives me an accurate reading of my exercise calories burned. I hiked the other day with my runtastic app on my phone, I hiked up and down the escarpment for 60 min. 5 km. My HR was prob. 160 or more going up the hills yet when I got home the stupid app said I burned 200 Cal and I know it's way more than that. I don't care about sleep function, text, email etc. So basically I want a good HRM that syncs with an app on my phone or tablet. I think I've given up on a watch style with HRM the good ones are too $$ for me and like you mentioned overkill. I don't need all the bells and whistles....thanks for you help!
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I use the chest strap with my watch. Also have GPS in the watch, and some stuff on the bike that my watch listens to. So, when I go for a bike ride, I get a map and all kinds of fancy data. Here's an example if you want to see what it looks like. But that's just how I do it. I prefer having a watch, if it wasn't this kind I'd have an old one with hands, this is just more convenient for me.

You can get a chest strap HRM (like Polar's H7) and pair it with your phone, and do all the same things. I can't recommend any apps from personal experience but I know Strava is popular.
  • imamomwifedaughter
    imamomwifedaughter Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I use the chest strap with my watch. Also have GPS in the watch, and some stuff on the bike that my watch listens to. So, when I go for a bike ride, I get a map and all kinds of fancy data. Here's an example if you want to see what it looks like. But that's just how I do it. I prefer having a watch, if it wasn't this kind I'd have an old one with hands, this is just more convenient for me.

You can get a chest strap HRM (like Polar's H7) and pair it with your phone, and do all the same things. I can't recommend any apps from personal experience but I know Strava is popular.

Thanks, I'll have a look at that polar H7.
  • mgookin1
    mgookin1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Lyenny wrote: »
    I got a Garmin Vivosmart HR too and I love it! I think it is more accurate than the Fitbit Charge HR, according to the reviews I read...and the big difference is that it is waterproof, so you don't have to take it off for showering or swimming. Having never had a fitness tracker, I find it very motivating! I use it with My Fitness Pal, and I love having an accurate idea of how much I'm putting into my body (food) versus how many calories I'm burning. And I love not having to enter the physical activity.....the Garmin syncs my activity with My Fitness Pal....Now if only there could be an automatic food tracker! hahha!

If you dont mind me asking, Do you think the Garmin would fit around an ankle? I want a wrist band Tracker Primarily for a sleep tracker/Activity and been looking at Garmin, but I work part time Cashiering and I don't want the frequent hand moments to mess up the Step count and was planning on putting it around my ankle during work so it would still track steps and not arm movements. ( work pants don't have pockets otherwise I would just stick it in pocket during work)

Does it also track driving as steps? ( I would assume not by your review of it, But doesn't hurt to still ask )
  • yoyeen1981
    yoyeen1981 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have the Jawbone UP Move and I wear it on my pants or shirt (when sleeping). It's pretty accurate (not always, but probably about 98% of the time) and I think I got mine for $39. It does seem to under count steps, which is better to me than over counting. Sleep function works pretty well. However, I go to bed around 10, but probably don't go to sleep until 11 and it thinks that lack of movement is light sleep, when really it's lying really still while looking at my phone.

It does prompt you to fill the sleep and workouts when you forgot to "log" it. Since it's just a round button, there are different types of pushing on the button that indicate whether you want sleep or workout mode. It's annoying, so I manually enter it after the fact and/or wait for to pop up with, "Hey, were you sleeping between so and so hours?"

I like it because it's more discrete and I hate wearing anything on my wrist. The battery does need to be replaced every six months or so, but it's fairly cheap.
  • Balaru
    Balaru Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Having a problem finding one that syncs with a Galaxy Core Prime phone. Any suggestions? I had originally wanted a FitBit with HR but it doesn't work with the phone.
  • Katerbels
    Katerbels Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Balaru wrote: »
    Having a problem finding one that syncs with a Galaxy Core Prime phone. Any suggestions? I had originally wanted a FitBit with HR but it doesn't work with the phone.

I have a Samsung phone and bought the Fitbit Blaze and they wouldn't work together. I ended up returning the Fitbit because of it.

I now have the Garmin Vivosmart HR and I actually like it better than the Fitbit! It's not pretty (none of them are, IMO) but it tracks really well from what I can tell.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    mgookin1 wrote: »
    If you dont mind me asking, Do you think the Garmin would fit around an ankle? I want a wrist band Tracker Primarily for a sleep tracker/Activity and been looking at Garmin, but I work part time Cashiering and I don't want the frequent hand moments to mess up the Step count and was planning on putting it around my ankle during work so it would still track steps and not arm movements. ( work pants don't have pockets otherwise I would just stick it in pocket during work)

Does it also track driving as steps? ( I would assume not by your review of it, But doesn't hurt to still ask )

Mine (Garmin Fenix 3) does not pick up any appreciable numbers of steps from driving or most hand movements. When it first came out it would record steps when you'd turn the steering wheel, but a lot of users complained and they fixed it a long time ago.