For the love of all that is holy, how do I weigh & log my avocado?

Options
2»

Replies

• betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    For something like that, I would weigh it all first. Then eat what I want out of it, and when I'm done, weigh whatever is left over that I'm going to trash. And then I log the difference.

Which is basically what it sounds like you're doing anyway, just the other way round.

This would make sense if you eating from it throughout the day and finishing it the same day but if you dont finish it that day and it takes you another two days then how do you handle the left over weight? Do you go back to your log for three days and break down the weight into thirds and subtract from your weight entry two days prior?
  • fileshiny
    fileshiny Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    ketorach wrote: »
    I ate a whole avocado yesterday. I cut it in half, removed the pit and peel, and cut into bite-sized pieces. Weighed them and it was 155g of avocado "flesh".

This is how I have been doing it for a while and someone said I should weigh with the pit and skin. That sounds like nonsense. Is what I'm doing correct? I can't find a definitive answer. Even the USDA site isn't clearing things up for me.

Thank you!!!

Someone is really messing with you. Whatdja do to her?
  • phw426
    phw426 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    1/5th of medium is 50 calories so you can kind of gauge by that how to measure. 1 Ounce is considered a serving or 1/5th of medium.
    https://www.avocadocentral.com/nutrition/avocado-nutrition-health-facts-label
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I just hate logging so much, so if I was logging my favorite-freaking-food incorrectly, I'd have been really sad.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,980 Member
    Options
    You are doing it right. You only need to log what you actually eat. You wouldn't weigh banana peels or orange peels. And thanks for this thread. I've been trying to decide on what to fix for dinner tonight. I was thinking tacos and now I'm definitely having them. Avocados are one of my favorites.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    You are doing it right. You only need to log what you actually eat. You wouldn't weigh banana peels or orange peels. And thanks for this thread. I've been trying to decide on what to fix for dinner tonight. I was thinking tacos and now I'm definitely having them. Avocados are one of my favorites.

I had an Avocado egg salad sandwich last night and it was sooo good im having it again tonight. Maybe even adding bacon to that...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    Now I want avocado...
  • ketorach
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »

I had an Avocado egg salad sandwich last night and it was sooo good im having it again tonight. Maybe even adding bacon to that...

Sounds delicious. I like avocado chicken salad.

I also like avocado... in a bowl with salt.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    well obviously it all depends on what the entry in MFP is for. If it is for a whole avocado then yes you would weigh the whole thing then eat it (because that entry already takes into account the extra non-edible weight). If it specifies flesh only then it is exactly that.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,980 Member
    Options

I'll have to try that.

Sounds delicious. I like avocado chicken salad.

I also like avocado... in a bowl with salt.

I also like it with tuna, but you can't go wrong with just a little salt.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Avocado with a splash of soy sauce...yum!
  • ketorach
    edited April 2016
    Options
    eeejer wrote: »
    well obviously it all depends on what the entry in MFP is for. If it is for a whole avocado then yes you would weigh the whole thing then eat it (because that entry already takes into account the extra non-edible weight). If it specifies flesh only then it is exactly that.

Even the USDA database doesn't have an entry for whole avocado with peel & pit. It even says clearly no pit and no peel. So, who is weighing their whole avocado and then logging it anyway? And, I was *weighing* my avocado flesh, so I didn't understand this person's rationale at all. I knew I wasn't crazy.

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options

Even the USDA database doesn't have an entry for whole avocado with peel & pit. It even says clearly no pit and no peel. So, who is weighing their whole avocado and then logging it anyway? And, I was *weighing* my avocado flesh, so I didn't understand this person's rationale at all. I knew I wasn't crazy.
    Well, not about this at least. :wink:

...my word I want that. Avacado and bacon is a delicious pair.
  • eeejer
    Options

yes, but MFP is not the USDA. You have no idea who weighed that fruit or what method they used. I see over 20 entries for avocado in MFP, mostly with differing calories. Here is one that says "Whole" http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/generic-from-avacadocentral-com-avacado-whole-medium-hass-5oz-150g-avg-305204504

Logging depends on the entry being correct.
  • ketorach
    Options

yes, but MFP is not the USDA. You have no idea who weighed that fruit or what method they used. I see over 20 entries for avocado in MFP, mostly with differing calories. Here is one that says "Whole" http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/generic-from-avacadocentral-com-avacado-whole-medium-hass-5oz-150g-avg-305204504

I log like it's my job! I never pick sketchy entries!

• eeejer
    Options

How would you know?
  • ketorach
    Options

How would you know?
    I check against USDA, usually. I would never choose that entry for avocado, because "whole, medium" is not an objective entry. I weigh my food in grams, so I choose entries in grams, whenever possible. And usually still check against USDA, if it's the first time using that entry.

Also, I eat a bunch of the same ****, so once I know it's right, I just choose from my Recent foods.