Weight lifting and calorie count

Alright, so in 2014 I lost around 158lbs, last year I put about 45lbs back on. Anyway, the weight is coming off again and this time, I've started lifting weights - whilst eating a calorie deficit, but I'm not really sure how to calculate what calories I burn, so I just don't put anything. Below I'll explain what exercises I do and if somebody could tell me what I should/shouldn't do, that would be muchos appreciated.

Every day, I arm curl 23KG before I get on my treadmill, then every other day I use lighter weights on my triceps and shoulders. I've found that my biceps are stronger than my triceps (I can lift more on my biceps than triceps)

Basically, 6 days a week I work my biceps and 3-4 times a week I do chest weight lifting and alternate the triceps and shoulders.

Given the information above, am I doing anything wrong? I don't feel like I have torn muscles and never real feel sore the following day. How should I calculate the calories I burn? I use a HRM for cardio, but not the weights.

Replies

• _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Just to add, I do 3 sets of 10 reps on each exercise I do.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Just log duration as strength training (under the CV section of the diary). A rough estimate of something impossible to measure but based on METS and adjusted for your weight. It's not a lot of calories but will be more accurate than zero!

You would benefit from switching from isolation exercises to compound exercises, preferably balanced for push and pull.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I log my strength training under Cardio. I don't eat it back, but it gives me about 180 calories for 45 minutes of lifting.
  • _EndGame_
    sijomial wrote: »
    Just log duration as strength training (under the CV section of the diary). A rough estimate of something impossible to measure but based on METS and adjusted for your weight. It's not a lot of calories but will be more accurate than zero!

You would benefit from switching from isolation exercises to compound exercises, preferably balanced for push and pull.

What do you mean by compound exercises?

I'm completely novice when it comes to weight training. I just lift weights, then every couple of weeks when I find it's getting easier, I add a little bit more weight.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Compound exercise - using multiple muscles, moving multiple joints.

Doing things like bicep curls are isolating a single muscle, hugely inefficient way of training, very poor for functional strength.

• quiksylver296
    edited April 2016
    _EndGame_ wrote: »

What do you mean by compound exercises?

I'm completely novice when it comes to weight training. I just lift weights, then every couple of weeks when I find it's getting easier, I add a little bit more weight.

Compound exercises are exercises that use major muscle groups. The big three compound lifts are squats, bench and deadlift. If you are relatively new to lifting, you could try a program like Stronglifts 5X5. You can check it out at stronglifts.com, and download the app that keeps track for you while you're at the gym.
  • _EndGame_
    Cheers fellas, will check that app out.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member

Doing things like bicep curls are isolating a single muscle, hugely inefficient way of training, very poor for functional strength.

I agree. You'd benefit more from exercises like squats, deadlifts, bench press, rows, overhead presses, and pull-ups. They recruit higher levels of muscle fibres for a more powerful contraction resulting in a larger calorie burn and greater strength increases. Bicep curls are the most common over used and over rated exercises. The one thing you can always count on is walking in and seeing someone with little to no experience doing curls.

Also if your biceps are stronger than your triceps. You should do something about that. The tricep makes up 2/3s of your arm and is the greatest influence when it comes to having massive guns.
  • _EndGame_

I'm a girl. :p

Ohh, sorry! I didn't take much notice of your profile picture and just assumed you're a bloke! You have my sincerest apologies. Lol

• _EndGame_
    jessef593 wrote: »

I agree. You'd benefit more from exercises like squats, deadlifts, bench press, rows, overhead presses, and pull-ups. They recruit higher levels of muscle fibres for a more powerful contraction resulting in a larger calorie burn and greater strength increases. Bicep curls are the most common over used and over rated exercises. The one thing you can always count on is walking in and seeing someone with little to no experience doing curls.

Also if your biceps are stronger than your triceps. You should do something about that. The tricep makes up 2/3s of your arm and is the greatest influence when it comes to having massive guns.

See, I'm not really into weight lifting to get big(ger) I'm doing it solely because people tell me it will help with body definition whilst losing weight. I swam hardcore for 18 months (usually 6 days a week) and my back and shoulders were very defined (still are) so now I'm just trying to pull my arms and chest somewhat inline with my back and shoulders.

I should really pay for a personal trainer for a couple of sessions to set me a weight lifting program personalized to me. Despite all the advice I get from here, I still can't properly comprehend what compound exercises are. I do arm curls daily, then I lift the dumbbell above my head and lower behind my head (which I assume works the triceps) and then I work my chest with the barbell. Outside of those exercises, I'm pretty noobish!
  • jerseygene
    jerseygene Posts: 129 Member
    Just go onto youtube and have a look for what you're interested in finding out it's all on there and you get to see it at the same time.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    A bicep curl. Single joint exercise. The only true joint in motion is your elbow.

A bench press. Multi joint or compound exercise. Two joints in motion. Both your shoulder and elbow move throughout the exercise.

Why would you do bicep curls everyday? That does not allow for sufficient recovery. If you're looking to become more defined, you'll either have to reduce body fat percentages or by increasing your total muscle mass. Doing curls daily will do nothing for increasing definition if you're not building mass.
  • quiksylver296

I'm a girl. :p

Ohh, sorry! I didn't take much notice of your profile picture and just assumed you're a bloke! You have my sincerest apologies. Lol

No worries. I was teasing!