(before workout) 1 banana
(After workout) Bread(3 slices),Vegetables

11:00 am Some veggies again

Lunch
Noodles (1 cup) ,along with fruits and vegetables

Teatime
Vegetables and fruits

Dinner
Planning to eat heavy,something with chicken and preferably rice (1 or 2 cups)

Whenever hungry,will snack on fruits (banana or apples),and vegetables (carrot/tomatoes)

Drinking loads of water.
And also going to the gym in mornings.Already have loads of running around being a medical student.So,what do you guys think?I'm aiming to lose about 10 kgs (from 85-75 kgs),also build some lean muscle mass.

Replies

• kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Seems like a relatively nutritious meal plan, although depending on your goals you may want to include more protein/fat. The real question is, are you staying in your desired calorie deficit with this meal plan? To lose weight that's all that matters.
  • aaromalloyola666
    aaromalloyola666 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'1" and this diet already looks like torture to me xD.If this ain't a calorie deficit,I don't know what is. :neutral:
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    so how many calories you eating? and whats your TDEE?
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Kind of important to know that. If it won't meet your goals for a calorie deficit, then no reason to bother. Ultimately that's going to be what helps you lose weight and thus fat while working on strength (not cardio) will help you retain lean muscle mass.
    Food restrictive diets don't work for most people, and are generally unnecessary for most of us. Is there a reason why you're looking into this particular restriction of foods?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Eat.regular.food. Weigh and measure portions.

As you are logging your regular foods.......look at the macros (protein, fat & carbs). If you are feeling hungry up the protein and/or fat. Get plenty of fiber (you can add this to your tracker settings).

Meeting protein goals, eating enough calories, and strength training will help to minimize lean muscle loss. Healthy weight loss will lower your body fat %.

A drastic.....temporary change in your diet is helpful for weight loss, but it does nothing for weight maintenance. Lifestyle changes are needed for maintenance. This is why eating regular food is so helpful.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'1" and this diet already looks like torture to me xD.If this ain't a calorie deficit,I don't know what is. :neutral:

I don't know what your weight is, but at 6'1 and 19 years old your TDEE is probably pretty high. You will likely struggle with hunger without including more protein and fat in your diet.

Figure out what your TDEE is (try this calculator: iifym.com/tdee-calculator/) and subtract 10-20%, depending on your goals. Build your diet around a calorie goal and include nutritious foods, as well as foods (with protein and fat) that will keep you full longer. Include small treats so as not to completely deprive yourself.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

I don't know what your weight is, but at 6'1 and 19 years old your TDEE is probably pretty high. You will likely struggle with hunger without including more protein and fat in your diet.

Figure out what your TDEE is (try this calculator: iifym.com/tdee-calculator/) and subtract 10-20%, depending on your goals. Build your diet around a calorie goal and include nutritious foods, as well as foods (with protein and fat) that will keep you full longer. Include small treats so as not to completely deprive yourself.

This^

I think you missed Kaylajanes point. You SHOULD know how much the deficit is, because all weight loss is not just fat loss.

A really aggressive calorie deficit, paired with low protein is a recipe for lean muscle loss. Healthy weight loss should help you lower your current body fat percentage.
  • Alarae21
    Alarae21 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Whatever floats your boat as long as you are in a deficit.

I always make room for chocolate. I can't go without some milkybar buttons to keep me going :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'd be starving. It's basically carbohydrates until dinner time. And then it's a piece of lean protein (the chicken), and some more carbohydrates. I'd die.

(and I LOVE vegetables)
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I think the point of MFP is to help you learn what to eat and how to portion control. Your diet sounds fair but a little boring. I have a feeling you'll be tired of it fairly quickly. Getting tired of eating the same foods is setting yourself up for trouble. Personally, I think you need more protein, especially if you are working out. Maybe have a little peanut butter on your bread. Have an omelette with veggies.

Its not just about the diet, its about creating habits that will help you maintain weight loss once its happened. Try eating normally but pay attention to portion control and make good choices. You will get an idea of portion sizes and that will help for when you eat out in a restaurant. Log everything. You will become familiar with your body, what foods make you feel good and give energy. You can do this, good luck!
  • Cez_Z
    Cez_Z Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree with some other posts on this... if you could give us more info as for example what kind of noodles you use, do you portion control? when you say veggies and fruits, it can be 1 cup, or 2 or 3 which makes a big difference. Seems like your getting a lot of your calories daily intake from carbs, I'd go lower on carbs and up the protein intake... but that's just my personal experience.
    protein keeps you fuller for longer periods of time.
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Yup everyone responding is on point & I concur. Try following the macro default settings on MFP to make sure you get enough proteins for muscle & good healthy fats which help you absorb all the nutrients. I would probably have 1 slice of the bread with banana & nutbutter of some sort before work out & then a 2nd slice after with egg & avocado or something. Not sure why 3 slices are necessary. You could also incorporate protein smoothies with fruits & veggies or steel cut oats with fruit & nuts for breakfast options. Fruits & veggies make great snacks but I would accompany them with a protein/fat source like nuts or cheese.l or Greek yogurt. & don't be afraid to play with the spices to jazz up that chicken dinner. Good luck!
  • aaromalloyola666
    Options

Just calculated and my TDEE is 2800 approx.Will include more protein in my diet!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Just calculated and my TDEE is 2800 approx.Will include more protein in my diet!

More fat as well as protein. Fat doesn't make you fat ;)

Why don't you plug in the values for a sample day and let us know how many calories that comes to?

How many pound total do you want to lose?
  • aaromalloyola666
    Options
    And also when you talk about protein,can you mention some cheap,easy available stuff(kinda tight on money) :D
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Morning
    (before workout) 1 banana
    (After workout) Bread(3 slices),Vegetables

11:00 am Some veggies again

Lunch
    Noodles (1 cup) ,along with fruits and vegetables

Teatime
    Vegetables and fruits

Dinner
    Planning to eat heavy,something with chicken and preferably rice (1 or 2 cups)

Whenever hungry,will snack on fruits (banana or apples),and vegetables (carrot/tomatoes)

Drinking loads of water.
    And also going to the gym in mornings.Already have loads of running around being a medical student.So,what do you guys think?I'm aiming to lose about 10 kgs (from 85-75 kgs),also build some lean muscle mass.

Low on protein and fats. Unless you eat a lot of those things at dinner you are probably not going to get enough.
    I would be feeling very hungry and unsatisfied on your diet plan.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Chicken, some fish (as not all is inexpensive), lean cuts of meat, legumes (beans). Sometimes whatever is on sale.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,996 Member
    Options
    And also when you talk about protein,can you mention some cheap,easy available stuff(kinda tight on money) :D

Eggs, milk, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, lentils, beans (especially cheap if you buy dry and soak and cook them yourself, but still cheap if you buy canned), canned tuna, chicken thighs, ground turkey, possibly ground beef (depending on your personal threshold for "cheap"), round steak.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Eggs, beans, peanut butter, tuna, chicken thighs, milk, yogurt, lentils, gound beef, cottage cheese, ground turkey, lunchmeat, cheese, nuts, quinoa
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options

Whole chicken that you cook is about the cheapest way to get protein. Afterwards, you can use the bones to make soup stock.