Gps/HRM

Options
Does anyone have recommendations for a both a gps and HRM in one? It's been a while since I've been in the market for one. Mine just broke yesterday. Thank you in advance!

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin Fenix 3 GPS watch. Mine is the original one without the HRM built directly in, so I use a chest strap when I want to know or record my HR. (I don't need to know if it's 60 or 62 bpm while I sit at my desk, just when I exercise.) I like it very much. Their Forerunner line does most of the same things for less money, and some of the newer ones have the HRM built right in.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Running, cycling or something else?

I use a Garmin Edge 800 for cycling.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I use an 800 too! I've had it for more than 5 years now and used it on every ride I've done over that period. Still works great, still very useful.

(I also use the watch while cycling. Best of both worlds, and a backup if anything happens with either.)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    VivoActive for every day use. Garmin 500 for cycling.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Garmin Forerunner for running. It uses a chest strap which is the most accurate type of HRM currently out there. A lot of the wrist types of HRM have been accused of being inaccurate, though depending on your activities/needs they might be enough.
  • 60to35
    60to35 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Vivoactive by Garmin. Love the GPS for runs. On sale often at Amazon
  • spankmonkeycfc
    spankmonkeycfc Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm all garmin 'mo_magic' but if I was you I'd hold out until the garmin vivoactive HR hits the shops, soon I believe - it looks like it'll cover your every need. Wish I had held out and waited - I've a 520, vivosmart HR and garmin 225 (far too may gadgets)
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin 235
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin 235

I have the 220 and I'm considering upgrading to the 235. How do you like it? Does the HRM seem accurate? Are the other features nice?
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I love it. I find the heart rate monitor to be on par with using a heart rate strap. Obviously it's not going to be accurate if you run with it over a jacket or long sleeve shirt so I just turn it off for that. I have no issues with the battery life. The gps is great. It picks it up immediately within 1-2 seconds unlike my old Garmin where I'd have to walk 2 blocks to a park and then wait a few minutes to get the gps. I'm not super into tracking my steps or sleep. I have no interest in receiving notifications from my phone on the watch so I can't speak to those issues. I don't know if your a woman, but the fit is great if you have very small thin wrists.
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Fenix3 with chest hrm or buy fenix3 and get a scosche rhythym+ hrm which works very well too.
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    It would be for running. Thank you first the replies!
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I use a Fenix 3. It's amazing.
  • RobertCotton
    RobertCotton Posts: 28 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I would go with the Garmin Vivoactive HR + GPS that is being released on May 2nd. It can also be paires with a chest band HRM down the road if you decide you need more accurate HR data.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    What brand did you have before? How long did you have it?
  • Missmissy0003
    Options
    I had something called a Mio. I just picked it up in Academy one day. I might have had it about 4 years. It was pretty cheap at the time, but it seemed to do its job fine.

• Missmissy0003
    Options
    Just in case anyone is still reading this discussion, I definitely want something with a chest strap. My mind won't be satisfied that the heart rate information is accurate otherwise.
  • Lydilod
    Lydilod Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin Forerunner 25 and use it with a chest strap
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Garmin Forerunner 230. 220 or 620 if you can get a deal, otherwise the 230 for $250 (there are no deals, even on ebay, but they might go on sale next month)
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Polar M400 has gps with chest strap sensor. Only draw back is it only syncs with MFP using apple devices.

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Sports-Watch-Heart-Monitor/dp/B00NPZ7WNU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461674457&sr=8-1&keywords=polar+watch+m400