Strength training gives me headaches :(

Options
I've definitely noticed a correlation between doing strength training and getting really bad headaches the day after. Also, it seems that the more sore my body is after a session, the worse my headache is too. I don't get headaches after doing just cardio, so it's gotta be related to the strength training. Does this happen to anyone else? I don't think I'm dehydrated because I drink a LOT of water and tea during the day. Why would it only happen after strength training and not any other time?

Replies

• ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    What's your blood pressure like normally, and then after a strength session, and then the day after a strength session?
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    immedaite thoughts are:

Blood pressure
    dehydration
    not enough calorie intake

if it's not diet or hydration, you might consider seeing a doctor for a check up and speaking with them about it. Blood pressure is nothing to mess around with.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,521 Member
    Options
    Lots of people do a couple of things incorrectly when weight training that could spur on headaches:

Incorrectly breathing- this can lead to blood pressure more than doubling while lifting weights
    Tensing jaw/neck muscles- lots of newbies to strength training will tighten their necks throughout workout resulting in a lot of tension

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest a quick check in with your doctor as well.

It's possibly an exertion headache (if your cardio is low intensity and your lifting is particularly strenuous in comparison that would explain it as it correlates with strenuous activity, especially if you start over heating.)
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!

My blood pressure is normal (usually around 110/70), but I do take medication for anxiety and depression. I have not checked my blood pressure during or after a strength training session, I'll have to do that.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    I'd suggest a quick check in with your doctor as well.

It's possibly an exertion headache (if your cardio is low intensity and your lifting is particularly strenuous in comparison that would explain it as it correlates with strenuous activity, especially if you start over heating.)

This is a possibility after you check out your blood pressure, exertion headache.

Also, is there something you consume only on lifting days that you don't otherwise? A pre-workout with caffeine? A protein shake? Could be some sort of reaction.

And agree with ninerbuff as well, make sure you are not straining your neck/head.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i get bad headaches after lifting if i'm in a calorie deficit and i push too hard. so for me its nourishment related.
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!

My blood pressure is normal (usually around 110/70), but I do take medication for anxiety and depression. I have not checked my blood pressure during or after a strength training session, I'll have to do that.

Normal across those data points I mentioned? Or you assume it's normal?
  • RespectTheKitty
    Options

Normal across those data points I mentioned? Or you assume it's normal?

I don't know if it's normal when I'm working out. It's normal during rest. I will have to check it during and after a workout to see if it gets elevated.
  • Bronty3
    Bronty3 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Are you in the habit of clenching your teeth or tightening your jaw/neck muscles when anxious or focused?
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I have this too but only when I use free weights, so I stick with the weight machines. I have spoken to a doctor, even had a CT scan of my head and neck (no problems there) and a trainer (no problems with my form, stretching, etc.) I just stick to the weight machines. They build muscle and I'm not in any pain.
  • RespectTheKitty
    Options
    Bronty3 wrote: »
    Are you in the habit of clenching your teeth or tightening your jaw/neck muscles when anxious or focused?

This. I have blood pressure issues that also contribute, but I found that stretching my neck, jaw, and shoulder muscles after I work out greatly reduces my exercise headaches. My guess is that you have at least some tension component to yours because of them occurring the next day, rather than immediately or a few hours after.

I will definitely have to pay attention to this. I grind my teeth a lot, so it's VERY possible that I'm doing that while working out.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Possibly head or neck position.