On average much are you losing per week?

Options

Replies

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    averaging 2 pounds a week. i have MFP set up for 1/2 a pound but i'm not eating back about half my exercise calories.
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    n1cholee93 wrote: »
    @KorvapuustiPossu How do you figure? 1% of my body weight is a little over 1 pound a week. So i'm not exactly burning off a lot more than i should be. And honestly i'm not exactly sure what i'm doing "wrong" in terms of my calories to be making my lose quicker than people say is normal.

My calories is 1,500 cals. MFP gave me 1,200 cals. I do cardio and strength (every other day) and Sunday is off day. According to MFP i burn 300 calories during my workout video. That means i eat back the ENTIRE amount i supposedly burn. Most people on here only eat back about 50% of net calories. So.. i'm not exactly starving myself by any means.. Unless i need to up my calories by another 100-200 calories?

**Mind you i don't weigh everything out, either. I have never used a food scale. I will use measuring cups in terms of liquid. So i might actually be eating more than i think, too.

2 lbs a week is a lot for someone who is already at a healthy weight range. There is a possibility some of that is muscle loss. It doesn't have to do with you not eating enough, it has to do with you not having a lot of body fat left and how much your body can metabolize fat in a certain amount of time. Doing resistance training and consuming lots of protein can help prevent muscle loss. Obviously, if you are okay with what you are doing you do you. Folks are probably speaking from personal experience and the concern they had based on their own experiences of muscle loss. I wouldn't take it personally.

No i'm not taking it personally. That was actually an honest question. If i'm not suppose to be burning 2lbs a week, am i suppose to be upping my calories? I've been doing a lot of resistance training, though i can't seem to keep up with the protein. But i also feel stronger, though i'm sure i could be losing muscle despite that. I don't know, i'm just doing what i normally do. I didn't know 136 pounds was even normal for my height... i thought 115-130 was a normal range.
  • SpeedGibson
    SpeedGibson Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have sprinted and faded out many times. I think slow works best, 2-3 pounds a month, which is still 30/year and plenty of room to roll with the holiday/vacation/work late punches.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've got 6lbs to go give or take, and I'm losing .3kgs or .7lbs a week
  • JoshuaJarrett
    JoshuaJarrett Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    On average around 4lbs a week
  • marissarekush
    marissarekush Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    As of today, I've lost 21.8lbs over 8wks. So average is 2.725lbs/wk. But, I am now 13-15lbs away from my goal so I am expecting it to slow drastically over the next few weeks.
  • tugsandpulls760
    tugsandpulls760 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    2 to 3 lbs a week im 282 5ft 10
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I started on March 1st @ 308# On April 11th I weighed in @ 280.0 pounds.. 42 days (6 weeks) 28# lost I know that will change as I lose more weight and make adjustments to my diet and exercise program. I wanted results fast. I am going to keep this up until I see my Dr. on April 28th..
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    @KorvapuustiPossu How do you figure? 1% of my body weight is a little over 1 pound a week. So i'm not exactly burning off a lot more than i should be. And honestly i'm not exactly sure what i'm doing "wrong" in terms of my calories to be making my lose quicker than people say is normal.

My calories is 1,500 cals. MFP gave me 1,200 cals. I do cardio and strength (every other day) and Sunday is off day. According to MFP i burn 300 calories during my workout video. That means i eat back the ENTIRE amount i supposedly burn. Most people on here only eat back about 50% of net calories. So.. i'm not exactly starving myself by any means.. Unless i need to up my calories by another 100-200 calories?

**Mind you i don't weigh everything out, either. I have never used a food scale. I will use measuring cups in terms of liquid. So i might actually be eating more than i think, too.

2 lbs a week is a lot for someone who is already at a healthy weight range. There is a possibility some of that is muscle loss. It doesn't have to do with you not eating enough, it has to do with you not having a lot of body fat left and how much your body can metabolize fat in a certain amount of time. Doing resistance training and consuming lots of protein can help prevent muscle loss. Obviously, if you are okay with what you are doing you do you. Folks are probably speaking from personal experience and the concern they had based on their own experiences of muscle loss. I wouldn't take it personally.

No i'm not taking it personally. That was actually an honest question. If i'm not suppose to be burning 2lbs a week, am i suppose to be upping my calories? I've been doing a lot of resistance training, though i can't seem to keep up with the protein. But i also feel stronger, though i'm sure i could be losing muscle despite that. I don't know, i'm just doing what i normally do. I didn't know 136 pounds was even normal for my height... i thought 115-130 was a normal range.

@n1cholee93 You are Helathy BMI, 24 to be exact... anything between 18.5-25 is the healthy range because not everyone is the same. 1% of body weight per week is not for people who have very little to lose. You should aim for max 0.5-1 lbs a week for a healthy weight loss. I'm pretty much same stats as you btw so we are almost twins :D Resistance training should help and also up your protein if you are not having enough. And if you are losing more than 0.4 kg/1 lbs a week try increasing calories a little. Eat some peanut butter :D
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    1lb/week but last week it was 2lbs. Still pretty fast since I'm now 139 and have 12lbs to go.
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    <1 lb, on average.
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    On average 0.7 pounds a week
  • beautifulsparkles
    beautifulsparkles Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm not losing weight, I've been putting it on. I've put on 4 kilos this year :-O I need to figure out how to make this lifestyle work for me.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    @n1cholee93 Don't worry. I was 5'3" and 139 when I started. I actually did lose 2 pounds per week until I got down to 121 because it really was not hard to do and I wasn't hungry at all. After a while, I found I was getting tired and needed to slow down my rate of loss. If you just started, the two pounds will be sustainable for a while. Are you doing resistance training at the very least? I was doing resistance and running and I don't appear to have lost muscle mass. I just finished a bulk after getting down to 109 and I'm starting my cut this Monday at 114.5 pounds. I'm only going back down to 110 or so since it's my last cut before at least 3 months of maintenance. I wouldn't dream of losing any more than 1 pound per week now.

I can't speak for everyone but, again, I don't appear to have really suffered in the muscle mass department.

wzp96ro3ai90.jpg

• Glampinupdoll
    Glampinupdoll Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Was at 2ish...now that I'm on my last 10lbs, I'm at about 1 or .75
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I maxed out at around 1lb/week in January. In March I only lost around .5lb/week. I am also obese. I would prefer to be losing 1.5 lbs/week until I reach the border of obese and overweight, but I continue to eat too much on a consistent enough basis that I am not meeting my goals. However, even 2 lbs in a month is still moving forward for me so I take it and try to continue to improve.

Same here. No biggie. This isn't a race. Interestingly I notice more changes in the contours of my body even with weight not moving a lot. Numbers on the scale are not the only thing to watch. ;)
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    @KorvapuustiPossu -- I did not know that. I thought 1% was for all. And 1-2 pound range was normal, no matter the weight. I guess all research can show up different results. Though i did have a pb and j yesterday, funny you mention peanut butter, it's my weakness :)

@synacious -- I just started back, i initially dropped 20 pounds and stopped for a long time. I was actually having a hard time getting out of the 140's. I kept fluctuating between 140-145 pounds for a month before finally getting up the courage and seeing i dropped to 138. And then last week i hit 136. And yes i am doing resistance training. I use heavy weights too. (well, they're heavy to me :P )
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Currently ranging from 0.3 lb per week - 0.8 lb per week. I'm 5'4.5" and today's scale weight was 121.5 (lower end of healthy for my height). Just looking to lose a few more vanity pounds. Even if I looked at the 1% max recommendation, the most I should aim for would be 1.2 lbs per week.

When I was over 200 lbs, I was losing between 2-3 lbs per week. Once I hit the 200 lb mark it started to slow from 2 lbs down to 1.5 lbs and then when I was closer to the healthy range it shifted to 1 lb.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Looks like a nice consistent 1lb per week, I'm beyond thrilled! It's exactly on track :)
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,826 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Roughly 0.5 lb/week. I'm down to the last 10 pounds, and the last thing I need is to lose muscle instead of fat. Last year I had before-and-after DEXA scans. I had lost 5 lb, and it turned out that half of the loss was muscle. I was losing a little over 1 lb a week. I do not want to repeat THAT.

5'0" 123 lb