Week one fail!! :(

Options
Ok, so I'm not impressed. I stuck to my calorie count in Week 1, even stayed under my allowance. I went running 3 time this week and I still gained a pound. What's all that about...... am gutted.

Replies

• beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Well, you only need to lose 7lbs, so it's going to be slower than if you had 150lbs to lose.

If you opened up your diary we'd have a better chance of advising accurately.
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Hard to say without seeing your food diary
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. It didn't take a week to gain the weight and it may take longer to take it off the right way.
    Make sure you eat most of your calories. IF you don't eat enough you will not lose. Your body will hold on to the calories because it thinks it is starving. Better luck next week.
  • jmf8688
    jmf8688 Posts: 4
    Options
    Running builds muscle, so you may not really have "gained a pound" but have gained muscle instead.
  • hstallings13
    hstallings13 Posts: 306
    Options
    yes, loosing smaller amounts tends to be rougher. Make sure you are weighing yourself at the same time every week wearing the same thing as your weight can fluxuate throughout the day. Don't be discouraged and keep working...you can do it
  • MelissaG36
    MelissaG36 Posts: 38
    Options
    If you were under your calorie goal & then ran on top of that your body wasnt getting enough fuel, sending into starve mode. So instead of losing your body is going to hold on to what it can to function. Its just as important to eat as it is to exercise.
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It's probably only fluid fluctuation in your body. I doubt you gained one pound of fat.
  • beach_chelle
    beach_chelle Posts: 221
    Options
    it could be a number of things.

1. its not just about calories, its also about fiber, protien, fat and sometimes sugar.
    2. its about how much water you are taking in.
    3. its about what your calorie allowance is set at.
    4. its about time, it takes time.
    5. its about what you set your weekly weight loss goal as. if you only need to lose 7 lbs you shouldn't be aiming for a 2 lbs week lose, you may not even want to aiming for a 1 lbs week lose. try for a 1/2 lb week lose. and see how that goes.

i hope this helps
  • shugieboogie
    Options
    It could be water gain from the muscle workout, it could be muscle gain instead of just weight, muscle is heavier than fat and sometimes when it looks discouraging, dont give up, you are probably building muscle, so please dont get discouraged
  • Elixandra
    Elixandra Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    The less you weigh the less cals you burn when you exercise. You will get them off it will just take longer then the people that weigh a bit more.
  • KTalada
    KTalada Posts: 47
    Options
    This happened to me at first too. First of all, it takes time for your body to adjust to new changes & you may have gained a pound of muscle, which is a good thing & will rev your metabolism. Secondly, I changed my profile to include sugar counts (in your settings tab) after seeing no results for the first couple of weeks & realized that although my calorie counts were good, my sugar intake was surprisingly high.

Please be patient with your body & DON'T GIVE UP! We're here to support you through this journey no matter how long it takes! Best wishes! :flowerforyou:
  • Ritamas2
    Ritamas2 Posts: 319
    Options
    I agree with above, please don't get discouraged, I am sure you have gained muscle and muscle weighs more than fat!
    So hang in there, it will come off if you stick to your guns, you're doing great!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Bristle82
    Bristle82 Posts: 100
    Options
    "Pick yourself up and try again!"

As others said, if you don't have much to lose then it will take more time! Be positive and remember to keep going!
  • noveleigh
    noveleigh Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It is hard to say without your diary open (of course I can't bring myself to open mine up either, lol). It could be that since you're exercising you're gaining muscle. Measure yourself as well as weigh might be a way to see if it's just muscle gain. I am also a firm believer in eating your exercise calories or at least making sure your net calories are somewhere between 1200 and your goal calorie intake (before exercise). 1200 calories is the minimum a female body needs.
  • beach_chelle
    beach_chelle Posts: 221
    Options
    It could be water gain from the muscle workout, it could be muscle gain instead of just weight, muscle is heavier than fat and sometimes when it looks discouraging, dont give up, you are probably building muscle, so please dont get discouraged

fyi, muscle IS NOT HEAVIER than fat. muscle TAKES UP LESS SPACE than fat.

muscle is denser than fat, not heavier, there is a huge difference.
  • just_silk
    just_silk Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Because you have so little to lose and the chances of your gaining muscle weight is higher with the additional exercise, you might find that you are encouraged if you do your body measurements too. That way even if the scales stay the same or increase one week, you would know whether you're leaner at all?
  • paintergal73
    Options
    Depends on which week it is...For one week prior to my period and the whole week of...i am 2 lbs heavier. Don't give up...i haven't lost in a while. Our bodies change so much...relax. Don't go under your calorie count either. I don't eat hardly anything I don't know the exact calorie count for...I don't always trust this calorie finder on this site.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    The leaner you are when you start this journey - the harder it will be to lose weight. The more weight you have on your body the more calories you burn during exercise and the quicker you'll see a weight loss. Ever hear someone say the last 10-15lbs are the WORST to lose? Well, it is true. As you get smaller, your body loses weight far slower.

Are you drinking enough water? Dehydration will result in water retention. Water retention is equal to weight gain. Drink tons of water. Especially since it is also summer and warmer outside.

Make sure you're watching your sodium.

MAKE SURE YOU ARE EATING ENOUGH!

You won't gain muscle in such a quick period of time. It takes far longer for you to build muscle. However, it IS possible your muscles are retaining water as they heal and repair themselves.

Don't be discouraged. You can do it!
  • fnm101
    fnm101 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Running builds muscle, so you may not really have "gained a pound" but have gained muscle instead.

For most people, it is really hard to gain a pound of muscle in a week
  • plummersmate
    Options
    Hi, try taking body measurements weekly instead of, or as well as weighing, you'll be pleasantly surprised those weeks you don't appear to lose weight. :-)