First time going to workout class

Options
Tomorrow will be my first time joining a workout class and I'm exited but also very nervous! The people I see often going to these classes look quite fit and I'm very overweight so i know I won't be able to keep up and might not understand the exercises lol
Does anyone have any stories of their first time at a workout class? What was it like? Were you nervous too?

Replies

• laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Terrified. But show up a little early, and talk to your class instructor. They should want to meet you anyway! Let them know about any injuries or insecurities, and they can give you modifications to suit your fitness level.
    And, try to have fun :)
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a first time. Yes you will make mistakes, but trust me most of the people going there have done the same thing. Any I promise most of them are just like you. Insecure about being there and hoping no one is looking. And yes I've been there before too. JUST DO IT!!! You will have a great time!
  • myfightforfitness
    myfightforfitness Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    laur357 wrote: »
    Terrified. But show up a little early, and talk to your class instructor. They should want to meet you anyway! Let them know about any injuries or insecurities, and they can give you modifications to suit your fitness level.
    And, try to have fun :)
    cathipa wrote: »
    Everyone has a first time. Yes you will make mistakes, but trust me most of the people going there have done the same thing. Any I promise most of them are just like you. Insecure about being there and hoping no one is looking. And yes I've been there before too. JUST DO IT!!! You will have a great time!

Thanks so much guys will deffo be going :#
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    My first time in Zumba I was really nervous, but people are just there to do their thing. Just do the best for you, and don't worry about the other people because they're worried about themselves. :smiley:
  • forthemovies
    forthemovies Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Most instructors will ask whether there's anyone new in the class and will offer alternatives for those getting started. After a class, try out some of the moves in front of the mirror to work on your form. Give it your all, no one will be judging you for working toward your fitness goals!

One of my friends dragged me to an MMA style class once and set me up in the middle of the room. I was extremely nervous, But there were no spots left in the back of the class.

I made a complete fool of myself because I didn't know the proper form or the routine. I wanted to melt into a puddle on the floor, I was so embarrassed. But...I realized none of the other people in the room cared about what I was doing because they were so focused on their workout.

My friend helped me work on form before the next class by incorporating some moves into our circuits. We ended up going back a few times and I got the rhythm for it by the third class.

Stick with it and you'll be glad you did!
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I had no problems going to my first exercise class kissing 300 lbs. I figured I had to start somewhere.
  • myfightforfitness
    Options
    I had no problems going to my first exercise class kissing 300 lbs. I figured I had to start somewhere.
    Most instructors will ask whether there's anyone new in the class and will offer alternatives for those getting started. After a class, try out some of the moves in front of the mirror to work on your form. Give it your all, no one will be judging you for working toward your fitness goals!

One of my friends dragged me to an MMA style class once and set me up in the middle of the room. I was extremely nervous, But there were no spots left in the back of the class.

I made a complete fool of myself because I didn't know the proper form or the routine. I wanted to melt into a puddle on the floor, I was so embarrassed. But...I realized none of the other people in the room cared about what I was doing because they were so focused on their workout.

My friend helped me work on form before the next class by incorporating some moves into our circuits. We ended up going back a few times and I got the rhythm for it by the third class.

Stick with it and you'll be glad you did!
    Afura wrote: »
    My first time in Zumba I was really nervous, but people are just there to do their thing. Just do the best for you, and don't worry about the other people because they're worried about themselves. :smiley:

Thanks guys :D:D
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I honestly got back from my first fitness class half an hour ago!! I came out feeling great!! No need to get nervous, everyone is so fo used on the exercise and the trainer :)
  • myfightforfitness
    Options
    amyr271 wrote: »
    I honestly got back from my first fitness class half an hour ago!! I came out feeling great!! No need to get nervous, everyone is so fo used on the exercise and the trainer :)

Well done for going to your first class :# I'm excited to go to mine now haha
  • sweets1973
    sweets1973 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've been going to classes for 4 weeks now 4 classes a week really loving it. Always end up huffing and puffin and red face lol but it's all fun. Enjoy
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    amyr271 wrote: »

Well done for going to your first class :# I'm excited to go to mine now haha

Good!! Just think, even if you can't keep up or whatever, it is better than not going at all, and the more you go, the more you'll know :D
  • myfightforfitness
    Options
    sweets1973 wrote: »
    I've been going to classes for 4 weeks now 4 classes a week really loving it. Always end up huffing and puffin and red face lol but it's all fun. Enjoy

Haha I always go red when I workout too lol thanks
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I used to get there early so I could stake out a place at the back of the class. After a while I realized that no-one cares, they're in it for them.

Of course, being at the back saved me some huge embarrassment when I had lost enough weight for my pants to hit my knees in the middle of Zumba. . . Nobody saw!
  • kwiatrtdy2
    kwiatrtdy2 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Clubbercise run brilliant classes in the dark! It's mostly dancey aerobics with glowsticks. Nobody can see you then, so no need to feel self-conscious.
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    There's a first time for everything! Several classes ago they were in your same shoes, nervous and unsure. You'll get the hang of it!! I remember my first time doing Zumba. It was honestly the most pitiful thing lol. I have no rhythm (despite popular stereotype lol) AND didn't know the moves like everyone else that had them memorized. The result was freestyle foolishness. I was frustrated at first because I was focusing so hard on getting the moves right, but then I figured the important thing was just to MOVE. I couldn't stop smiling and laughing after that. The instructor actually came to dance freestyle by me for a little lol. She was like "Lovin that freestyle! Fake it till ya make it!" Everyone smiled and kept up their dancing :)
  • myfightforfitness
    Options
    I used to get there early so I could stake out a place at the back of the class. After a while I realized that no-one cares, they're in it for them.

Of course, being at the back saved me some huge embarrassment when I had lost enough weight for my pants to hit my knees in the middle of Zumba. . . Nobody saw!

Hahaha lucky you :D
    kwiatrtdy2 wrote: »
    Clubbercise run brilliant classes in the dark! It's mostly dancey aerobics with glowsticks. Nobody can see you then, so no need to feel self-conscious.

Wow that sounds like a lot of fun B)
    There's a first time for everything! Several classes ago they were in your same shoes, nervous and unsure. You'll get the hang of it!! I remember my first time doing Zumba. It was honestly the most pitiful thing lol. I have no rhythm (despite popular stereotype lol) AND didn't know the moves like everyone else that had them memorized. The result was freestyle foolishness. I was frustrated at first because I was focusing so hard on getting the moves right, but then I figured the important thing was just to MOVE. I couldn't stop smiling and laughing after that. The instructor actually came to dance freestyle by me for a little lol. She was like "Lovin that freestyle! Fake it till ya make it!" Everyone smiled and kept up their dancing :)

Wow thank you for your advice will deffo try to have more fun rather than worrying about what people think
  • diwijo13
    diwijo13 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    This time around I tried classes and I love it! I was so scared my first time. But when I realized that no one cared about how horrible I was doing I had fun. Now I hate exercising at home. I take kickboxing and Zumba classes each week.
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I've done a bunch of classes over the years and I still look up sometimes and realize I'm going in the opposite direction than the rest of the class, or I lose count, or I lose my balance. It's nice when someone else giggles with you because we've (mostly) all been there. Go girl.
  • myfightforfitness
    Options
    karinf wrote: »
    I've done a bunch of classes over the years and I still look up sometimes and realize I'm going in the opposite direction than the rest of the class, or I lose count, or I lose my balance. It's nice when someone else giggles with you because we've (mostly) all been there. Go girl.
    diwijo13 wrote: »
    This time around I tried classes and I love it! I was so scared my first time. But when I realized that no one cared about how horrible I was doing I had fun. Now I hate exercising at home. I take kickboxing and Zumba classes each week.

Hahah sounds good thanks for the encouragement guys :D