Starting exercise but trouble eating

Options
Hey, I just recently went through a really hard break up. The only thing I could do to stop crying was exercise. I've been going 2 hours a day on my exercise bike with the resistance at 10 which is the max for my bike. I'll do the hours separately so it's not all at once and I don't want to stop cycling even though I make myself because I'm worried I'd hurt myself if I do more than two hours.

Anyway, ever since the break up I've been really not hungry. It's a complete loss of appetite. I can't eat without feeling sick, so I just don't eat much. I manage to drink lots of water and sugar free carb free powerade. I'll eat maybe one string cheese and try to eat a little of whatever my family eats but I can't so it'd be like one spoon of mashed potatoes.

Is it okay that I'm not eating normal? I don't know if it makes a difference being 330 lbs but I just can't get anything down. Any tips or suggestions?

Replies

• Odiaa
    Odiaa Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I divorced my ex~wife almost 3 years ago, we were together for 15 years and married for 11 years. It's 100% normal to have anxiety after a breakup/divorce. My advice is if you want to lose weight, use the app and eat healthy.

P.S. I did the same thing your doing when I got divorced, I starved myself and hardly ate anything. And when I went back to eating normal I gained more weight then I lost.

• BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    It will go...and exercise is supposed to be one of the best therapies for times like this..
    Not that sugar is overly healthy.. lol but you do tend to want more of it if you eat some.. why the sugar free carb free if you're not managing to get in many other calories during the day? You could probably afford to go full sugar.. for the energy if nothing else.x
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    have you tried a protein shake? no matter how depressed you are, you still need to nourish your body - and to take care of yourself. or maybe comfort foods, like a piece of toast with butter or chicken noodle soup?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm sorry for what happened. It's ok that your appetite isn't normal, but you really should be eating more than string cheese. Your body still needs nourishment, especially with the huge increase in exercise.
  • casileejade
    casileejade Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I can't do sugar and carbs because of my diabetes. No matter how hard I exercise it's not going below 339. That's the lowest I've gotten it, but usually it goes up to 400-450 after the exercise. Don't know why, but I'm working on it. Otherwise I would be drinking the regular Gatorade and powerade in flavors I like.
  • casileejade
    casileejade Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Odiaa wrote: »
    I divorced my ex~wife almost 3 years ago, we were together for 15 years and married for 11 years. It's 100% normal to have anxiety after a breakup/divorce. My advice is if you want to lose weight, use the app and eat healthy.

P.S. I did the same thing your doing when I got divorced, I starved myself and hardly ate anything. And when I went back to eating normal I gained more weight then I lost.

It's not that I'm intentionally starving myself. I eat when I can, but I'm struggling to get past the nausea I've been having.
  • thehouseoflotta
    thehouseoflotta Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i know how you feel, my marriage ended september last year to a domestically violent man who forced me to eat nothing but junkfood, i didn't want to eat either , i am trying to loose the weight he made me gain, i had lost a lot of weight when we had gotten back together. I am not returning to that finnish man ever again. You will get there it will just take time.
  • BelleCakes2018
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I can't do sugar and carbs because of my diabetes. No matter how hard I exercise it's not going below 339. That's the lowest I've gotten it, but usually it goes up to 400-450 after the exercise. Don't know why, but I'm working on it. Otherwise I would be drinking the regular Gatorade and powerade in flavors I like.

Ahh that makes sense.. You know low carb diets are very helpful for blood sugar and diabetes.. but to be honest the way you are now ANY food at all would be better than nothing - preferably something with nourishment.. chicken and veg soup? Like someone else said - what about a nourishing meal replacement shake.. could you get that down? This could take quite some time, but once you start to calm down and feel better about things the appetite should come back naturally. Until then, just try to cope the best way you can.
  • BelleCakes2018
    Options
    i know how you feel, my marriage ended september last year to a domestically violent man who forced me to eat nothing but junkfood, i didn't want to eat either , i am trying to loose the weight he made me gain, i had lost a lot of weight when we had gotten back together. I am not returning to that finnish man ever again. You will get there it will just take time.

I have been in a similar place to you.. I had to lose weight in secret by starving myself all day just so I could eat the same as him in the evening without him realising.. it worked - and needless to say I found the strength to leave once I felt better about myself.. that's when I managed to lose nearly 80lbs.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. Your appetite will come back eventually. Been there.. it's tough.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options

Are you a type 1 or a type 2? Those numbers are really really high (have you been testing for ketones at that level?) even when factoring in exercise and stress.

Please, at those numbers, contact your doctor -especially if they're trying to figure out if you're a type 1 or a type 2. 400s are high enough to cause some very serious damage (whether from DKA or hyperglycemic hyperosmolar nonketotic state), and the body when stressed can do some super wonky things (the stress from a series of viral illnesses is what sent me into DKA and got me diagnosed in the first place). At the very least, they should be able to help you create a game plan on how to manage your diabetes during this time.