Depression

Options
Depression is an awful thing. It affects all aspects of your life. Losing weight is a mental game and depression is a huge part of it. This week has been so horrible for me that I've find myself back sliding. Anyone else struggle with depression daily? How do you cope?

Replies

• SarahsFitMess
    SarahsFitMess Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Finding a good support system can really help. Sometimes it's them telling you they're there for you other times it's just hearing yourself explain your problems aloud. I find knowing what's bothering me that day is an excellent first step. There may not be a solution or a specific problem but taking a moment to think about what's bothering you that day can help. Other than that I try to find something that can comfort me without calories. A good movie I've watched a million times that makes me smile, forcing my love on my animals, or a hot cup of tea with my blanket. Whatever makes you feel comfortable.
    All of this is way easier said then done I know. It took me years to actually get going in the right direction. If you ever need someone to talk please feel free to send a message my way. I'm not much but I do understand at least a little and I'm always open to chat.
  • hiker583
    hiker583 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Do things that you enjoy, even if you have to force yourself to do it. I have found working out helps, even just going for a walk.
  • shingramgetsfit
    shingramgetsfit Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    One problem for those with depression (me!) is an utter lack of momentum. I do want to be healthy. I do make plans and lists and goals constantly. But when I'm in the middle of a depression, the plans won't last half a day. I'll be halfway through a pint of ice cream by the afternoon with no intention of exercising at all. It can be infuriating because I know that what helps me tremendously is exercising. It is second to my beloved Lexapro, which I can't take right now because I am breastfeeding my kid. I just deleted my old mfp and made this one as an attempt at yet another "new start." Please feel free to add me.
  • wannabesexymama
    wannabesexymama Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    hiker583 wrote: »
    Do things that you enjoy, even if you have to force yourself to do it. I have found working out helps, even just going for a walk.

This is how I cope with my Depression. If I make myself work out it usually ups my mood. Yesterday I was very weepy and depressed so when I got out of class I hit the gym and walked on the treadmill then got on the elliptical then hit the pool before going home.
  • pcousins13Patricia
    pcousins13Patricia Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm working out every day and it's helping me. I scheduling it in every morning like it's a meeting and I don't miss it. Even when I'm feeling like I don't want to do it, I get into my workout clothes and turn a video on. Sometimes I tell myself that I'm just going to watch the video...but then I end up doing it. :) I think just getting ready and getting that video on is most of the battle.
  • squishypartsruley
    squishypartsruley Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When you know it's one of those days reach out. And it doesn't have to be in the form of a hand extended, a simple hello to someone, a connection, it can make all the difference.

Particularly here. Without having to articulate how you feel (because honestly when you're in it who can properly ?) you'll have support and understanding. If you think you're alone you're not. Look at how many people have viewed your thread already ? Without realising it you've already made a difference to someone. In the words of Evan Dando 'When you can't trust yourself.. Trust someone else' S.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    you should check out the Depression & Weight Loss thread. it's pretty actively used, lots of support and ideas there.